Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bass Fishing in January

1,426 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Whitetail
Return to Glory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to a friend's ranch in January and was wondering what you guys would recommend for catching bass in the stock tanks.

I've never really fished for bass in the winter. Is it even worth the effort? Thanks
OldCamp
Fish deep. I've caugt plenty of fish in January.
TxSquarebody
PineTreeAg said:

Fish deep. I've caugt plenty of fish in January.

This! Low and slow!
Floor it until you see God
docb
AG
Try running a rattletrap through there or a crankbait if there is enough depth. You'll be pleasantly surprised. December and January are my favorite months to fish and I fish most every week all year round.
HumbleAg04
AG
Water clarity? Grass or any stuff to deal with?

Can always go SLOWWW with a weightless senko. Caught plenty in cold cold conditions.
Return to Glory
AG
I know there are bass in there because I've caught them in the Spring and Fall on topwater, plastic worm, and spinner baits, but I've never had any success in the Winter.

Thanks for the advice!
Return to Glory
AG
Going out on Saturday and Sunday. Ranch is in Blanco. I'll let you know how we do.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Water is going to be cold, north wind and high pressure. As mentioned above, fish slow and low! Good luck
Gig 'em! '90
Serious Lee
i mostly catfish this time of year. threw some protein out the other day before sunset and set a hook with bread. caught 4 bass (alll at least 4 pounds) and only 3 catfish. ive never been so angry to catch 5 lb bass.
water turkey
Stock tanks?

Anything you throw.....
SquirrellyDan
AG
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/z-man%C2%AE-2-3-4-finesse-trd-soft-bait-lures-8-pack#repChildCatid=3074901

These with a jig that will help them stand up on the bottom.
WestTexasAg
AG
bookmyer said:

Try running a rattletrap through there or a crankbait if there is enough depth. You'll be pleasantly surprised. December and January are my favorite months to fish and I fish most every week all year round.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Try a hard body jerkbait that suspends.
Whitetail
AG
Live minnows.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.