Outdoors
Sponsored by

A Week of Whitetail in Kansas

3,289 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Blue Duck
Blue Duck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Every year for the last few years me and a group of family and friends have made the trip up north to Kansas for a week of deer hunting and having a good time. This year carried on the tradition of being an absolute blast. 6 of us went and 5 of us came home with really good bucks. The one that didn't is holding out for a 180 inch or bigger deer so no need to feel sorry for him, he had plenty of chances. His saying is " I'm not after a deer, I'm after the deer" I can't help but admire his stance a little bit.

We hunt in the Flint Hills region of Kansas and it's a great place to be. Bluestem high enough to hide a big deer and brush lined creeks makes for some incredible deer hunting. I couldn't keep track of how many deer I saw but there wasn't ever a lull in the action.

This was my view for a few days. The bucks were still acting a little rutty and fights were frequent. It's always shocking how much noise they make when they really get to scrapping. Every single time a doe popped out of the brush, you could count on a buck or 2 to be there and check her out pretty quick. I saw lots of little guys but wanted to wait on the right one. I saw this deer so many times that I would now consider him a friend. I thought he was a shooter the first time I saw him but a couple of broken tines made him a no go. Hopefully he hangs around and I get a good look at him again next year.

The first couple of days we were there were pretty uneventful. My dad pulled the trigger on a good deer the 3rd morning we were there and left me with my only regret of the trip, I didn't get a real good picture of his deer before it got caped out. I was in a stand a few miles away and in hindsight, I should have just got out and gone to take them. He shot a pretty heavy 10 that had what appeared to have a busted jaw and a broken nose. These Kansas deer don't mess around when it come to rutting. My trip was made after he shot his deer and anything following that was gravy.

Day 4 started out with some really cold temperatures. Heavy frost and not much wind had the deer on their feet all day long. I saw my friendly buck, a dozen or so smaller guys and then the one I wanted showed up. He stood in the brush for what seemed like an eternity but was probably closer to 2 minutes before I ever got a real good look at him. I finally got a good look at his antlers and figured it was go time. A 257 Weatherby slinging 110 grain accubond handloads is bad news for whatever is on the receiving end. I shot and my buck fell over, no need for waiting.

He's a big deer with split brows and good mass. I hadn't seen the split brows when I shot so that was a pleasant surprise to walk up on. He had one broken tine but for late season in Kansas, that's just part of it. The necks on these deer never cease to amaze. A mature buck up here looks like he means business the minute you see him.

I was taking pictures of my deer when I heard a shot come from the direction of a buddy who was about a mile away. A couple of minutes later, the "deer down" text arrived and we were in business. Unbeknownst to us, right about that same time one of our other buddies had just smacked a buck as well. He had been in the stand all day and his phone battery was dead so we didn't find out until we got back to town. 3 good bucks down makes for a good night.

One of the deer was missing half a hoof which I've never seen. I assume my poor shooting friend shot it off and will tell that as part of the story going forward.

The next morning, the last member of our party with reasonable standards killed the 2nd deer of his life. He's killed 2 bucks, both in Kansas and is setting himself up for disappointment later in his hunting career by setting such a high bar.

It's easy to relax when you're all tagged out. We took the last day of our trip to enjoy a good sunset and just had a good time. I don't think you could put a price on these kind of memories and I get all sentimental and mushy feeling just typing this out. Memories like those can't be bought and are something I'll cherish for a long time.

Post removed:
by user
dr_boogs
AG
Outstanding post. Your photos are exceptional. Thanks for sharing.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Now that's Outdoorboarding
TxAG-010
ironmanag
AG
Awesome trip congrats!
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
B-1 83
LRHF
AG
The pictures and story are excellent, feel like I was Almost there! Excellent deer!
JYDog90
AG
I think your buck wins.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Knucklesammich
Great write up.

Kansas during the rut sounds like a mosh pit at a mid 90s Pantera show...blood and teeth laying on the geound everywhere.
AgsMnn
AG
third coast.. said:

half this board read the thread title and went from six to midnight until they realized it wasnt posted by sean 98

And we all know who didn't start the thread since there was a deer hanging in it.
lazuras_dc
AG
Did you guys use an outfitter? Mid-west whitetail is starting to get really high on my priority list!
Blue Duck
AG
I don't want to be a braggart but.... you're right.
Blue Duck
AG
We do use an outfitter. It's not a big fancy operation but we've been using them for 6 years and already booked for a 7th. The guy we use has a lot of good ground and is an all around good guy.
matthewj042
lazuras_dc
AG
Blue Duck said:

We do use an outfitter. It's not a big fancy operation but we've been using them for 6 years and already booked for a 7th. The guy we use has a lot of good ground and is an all around good guy.

Care to share who that is ? If not I understand.
cupofjoe04
AG
Gear hunt!!! Thanks for sharing the pics and write up.

I love those split brows, and that buck carries some nice mass on this mains. Outstanding
Blue Duck
AG
Elk River Outfitters in Moline is who we use. They have a website or I can give you the owners number if you're interested. It's not a giant operation and it's on the less famous side of Kansas but I can vouch for their quality of deer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.