Outdoors
Sponsored by

Live Hunt - From the Mountains of Idaho (Aoudad Edition)

1,739 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Colt98
AGGIE WH08P
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just arrived in Idaho yesterday. First day of our 5 day hunt. Completely different then what I'm used to! We got 3-4 guys that are running the roads at night about 11pm and going all night long looking for mountain lion tracks.

No fresh tracks today, though. Lots of waiting around for the phone call. They killed 3 last week and 1 yesterday. Here are some pics.

AGGIE WH08P
AG
Trying to provide content to make TA OB great again!

Moose in local neighborhood

Hunting ground between Idaho and Wyoming state line.

Snow sleds I hope to be on tomorrow

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Looks like fun! Snow machines are sooo much fun.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Well it doesn't look like it will happen today.
They need some new snow since all the older snow is covered in various game trails. Making it harder to find lion tracks.

There is a good chance of snow Tuesday night, so Wednesday should be great hunting!
fightingfarmer09
Always fascinated by the details on the hunts posted on the board:

If lion hunting isn't looking promising do you move on to a different species, or continue the hunt despite lower odds?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Is the one in the first pic considered a big cat? Because in my bird hunter only brain, that looks like a big ass cat!
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Ya, that first cat is probably 150-170#. Big Tom.

As for what else we can hunt, this is it. Just came here for lions. We haven't bought tags yet since we can hunt both Idaho and western Wyoming. Trying to avoid having to buy 2 different states tags/license.

Just got a call that they have a good track of a cat. But it is in a closed unit. That unit had a total of 4 females that were allowed to be killed and the quota has been meet. You can call unlimited Toms in most units, but only a certain amount of females can be harvested.

We are going to go run the dogs for a practice run. Not gonna kill it.
LSB_2002
AG
Good luck!!!
rather be fishing
AG
Cool, but what's the point?
Watchful Ag
AG
rather be fishing said:

You can eat them.

And from what I've seen in multiple places, they're actually very good. I'd gladly help myself if given the opportunity.

Link here if you're curious

ttha_aggie_09
AG
rather be fishing said:

Because he can and it looks fun... who cares? Let this poster share some pictures and stories. That's the purpose of the board... not post passive aggressive things on threads you don't agree with or understand.

If I am reading your post incorrectly, I apologize. Just doesn't seem like something that needs to be posted on this thread unless you're just genuinely curious.
Colt98
AG
I would think the point would be:

-Let the dogs get some work
-Been coupes up waiting for action. YOu don't have to kill to make it a hunt
- lion taste like Pork. Very tasty.
-hell of a trophy and a story
- burn some calories
- see beatiful scenery

I really don't understand that comment.. if this wasn't your intent, edit your post.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
The point?
Because I can. Same reason I hunt whitetail. The pleasure of being outdoors, spending time with friends, family or my customers and filling my freezer with meat. Lions have no natural predators. They are at the top of the food chain and the only way to keep their population in check is to harvest 10-15% each year.

We chased after a good Tom this afternoon. Didn't get him treed since the dogs supposedly crossed another trail that might have been a bobcat. The dogs kept treeing the bobcat in multiple trees and lost focus of the Tom. But again, we couldn't kill that Tom since the female quota was met and the zone is now closed.

We are headed to Wyoming in the morning. Praying for new snow! There is a good chance Wednesday morning, so who knows how Tuesday might go.

Stay tuned!!
Colt98
AG
Good luck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.