Outdoors
Sponsored by

I want smoke something different.

9,464 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by STX Ag
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm taking the whole week off for Christmas, so I should have plenty of pit time. I've done briskets, pork belly's, ribs, etc.

What is the most unusual thing you have smoked? Is smoked goose a thing? Smoked lamb? Just want to try something different.
jtp01
AG
I smoked a whole bologna on the Traeger last night. It turned out great. Wish I would have cooked closer to 325 and a little longer, but we will do it again the week of Christmas.

My MIL complained the whole time that it was going to be bologna for supper until she tasted it and she decided that it was pretty good.

We got the 100% beef version from the deli counter at Walmart and we believe ut was worth the added cost. A 4.5# bologna was probably enough for 16-18 folks as we only had 9 and just about ate 1/2 of it.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Smoked Rattlesnake.

They are surprisingly bony though...
wreckt01
Lamb shank!
Also not that unusual, but I love smoked meatloaf.
zooguy96
Adding to this thread. I have a weber bullet smoker that I bought from somebody on here. Oh wise outdoor board, teach me how to smoke and what to smoke
AgLA06
AG
Whole ribbey is really good, but mostly done as steaks instead.

Something done more up north is smoked fish.

We also like to do variations of pulled pork with the front shoulders of more exotic game like black buck or fallow or axis.
fightingfarmer09
Porchetta.

https://barbecuebible.com/2015/01/23/feast-porchetta-goes-whole-hog/
BrazosDog02
AG
Thought this was a thread about going to Colorado.
Swarely
Never heard of a smoked bologna! How long did you smoke it for?
Swarely
Do a pork belly and make your own bacon!
Swarely
Lamb shank sounds good. What process do you use?
zooguy96
Swarely said:

I want to do this!!!! How?!?!?!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Ice and cheese
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
There was a smoked cheese thread a few years back that looked very interesting.
drummer0415
AG
My favorite non typical smoked meat is prime rib roast.

I also have a leg of lamb in the freezer that I need to smoke, but I've never done one.

Edit. Supposed to be a thumbs up.
GSS
zooguy96 said:

Swarely said:

I want to do this!!!! How?!?!?!

Much easier than I ever imagined. But the curing takes 4-5 days, for your planning. Several different seasonings tried, settled on the McCormick Smokehouse Maple plus black pepper. After curing, rinse well, re-season if you wish, smoke to 135-150 deg internal. Chill, slice, enjoy! There's a makin' bacon thread on the Food board.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Swarely
Here's a thread for when I did my first one

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2642896
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Swarely said:

This. So much this.

I've smoked about 25 lbs of bacon over the last couple months. The difference is insane
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
wreckt01
I pure garlic with salt, pepper, and evoo and rub the shanks down. Smoke on green egg at 250-275. I also mop with a portion of the rub with added lemon juice and rosemary. I fill a drip pan below with onion, rosemary and white wine. Use this mixture to make a gravy/sauce When done. Still working out the kinks on pre-sear vs reverse sear, but best so far I didn't sear at all.
I pair it with roasted root veggies, orzo and the wine I used for the drip pan.
B-1 83
AG
My dad has smoked whole catfish before. A little mayo and relish, and it's not bad on crackers.
88Warrior
jtp01 said:

I smoked a whole bologna on the Traeger last night. It turned out great. Wish I would have cooked closer to 325 and a little longer, but we will do it again the week of Christmas.

My MIL complained the whole time that it was going to be bologna for supper until she tasted it and she decided that it was pretty good.

We got the 100% beef version from the deli counter at Walmart and we believe ut was worth the added cost. A 4.5# bologna was probably enough for 16-18 folks as we only had 9 and just about ate 1/2 of it.

Smoked bologna is very underrated...I first tried it when we moved up in Tulsa...Good stuff!
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm making sweet potato chips in the oven right now. Would be interesting once in a smoker I think
jtp01
AG
I let it go 275 for about 4 hours. I was actually doing some electrical while it was cooking. The wife pulled it when the bacon I wrapped it in looked done.

I scored about 1/4" then slathered in mustard, brisket rub, bacon weave wrap, another layer of brisket rub, then to the cooker.
Hehateme1
I've smoked a fatty (no, not that kind) and Scotch Eggs. Both have turned out freaking excellent as well as "different".
agfan2013
AG
Smoke some pastrami. Never done it myself as it seems like too much work for sandwhich meat, but a few of the top 50 bbq places in Texas have started doing it, and it looks pretty good.
HumbleAg04
AG
As previously said a prime rib roast is amazing smoked.

Lamb is also good.
Oogway
Smoked salmon or trout?

Love smoked salmon.

Swarely
Looks like EFE and I will be doing this over Christmas.
normaleagle05
AG
I bought a whole 40lb pig Tuesday of the week before Thanksgiving and split it with a friend. I dredged my ham in a dry brine on that Tuesday and smoked it on my Egg Thanksgiving morning. OH! MY!

I'm tempted to call it the best thing to come off my Egg in the nearly two years I've had it.

Do this. Do other stuff too, but do this.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I cured a venison bone in hind quarter and smoked it. Just like you'd do a fresh ham.

Used a brown sugar brine, and soaked in teh fridge for 1 day per lb, so about 7 days IIRC then I let it dry on a rack over a cookie sheet in the fridge for another 3-4 days. Smoked to 130.

normaleagle05
AG
Here you go.

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2924847/replies/50970998#50970998

Kenneth, that looks amazing.
jpb1999
AG
Looks good, what texture did that end up with?

The brine and then dry it in the fridge steps, was that the cure you mentioned?

Spane Bohem

Kenneth_2003
AG
Texture was just like that you'd get with a store bought bone in ham.
As for curing it, yes. Started with the bone in hind quarter. I only cut the lower leg off just enough that it would fit in the largest pot that would fit in the fridge. Worked out to about 7lbs of meat so found a recipe for a brine for that amount of meat. The soaking 1 day per 2 lb was the recommendation on the recipe. I air dried it in the fridge so it would get a little rind on the outside.

Brine was similar to this...
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/245724/home-cured-holiday-ham/
DeWrecking Crew
FNMikey said:

I've smoked a fatty (no, not that kind) and Scotch Eggs. Both have turned out freaking excellent as well as "different".

+1 for a fatty, I've done 5 or 6, all different flavors, and they were all fantastic
carl spacklers hat
I got some stuff to smoke. its a cross...bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent, and northern California sinsemilla. The amazing stuff about this is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt at night on this stuff. If you're into that sort of stuff, ya know.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.