Outdoors
Sponsored by

Finally buying a gun safe

2,739 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MR Gadsden
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are the OB's "must haves" for one? Tractor Supply has a good sale going on.
mt3950
AG
Go bigger than you think you need.
B-1 83
AG
They have.a Cannon 64 gun case for $900. No delivery available.
CharlieBrown17
AG
mt3950 said:

Go bigger than you think you need.

Multiple the capacity by .66 If you don't have a bunch of scoped guns, .5 if lots of scopes.
agingcowboy
AG
Maybe this is standard anymore, but a plug inside for lights and dehumidifier is a must.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Newoldarmy
AG
If I could do it over I would put mine on a stand of some sort and get it elevated a foot or more. I'm tall and reaching in there sucks. Can't see in there to reach in he top shelf either.

In our next house I will have the slab raised under the safe.

Lighting would be great and as others said, a 10 gun safe holds 10 unscoped single shot rifles. Bolts and scopes change everything.
B-1 83
AG
I'm 5'6" tall. Raising it is not an issue.
cbr
AG
Id get one with nothing digital or elecrronic at all. Mechanical lock.
B-1 83
AG
Please explain. I've heard it both ways and I'm open to all opinions.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Here is a link that I found exceptionally helpful when I bought my safe. Some of the links might be dead, but the text is valid and walks you through some sound logical steps of what is important to you.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

I don't think lights are necessary. The door is open when I need to see inside it and for the most part I'm only storing guns and a few other valuables. I don't need to be able to read the fine print to know what I'm reaching for. As for a dehumidifier, I use a plug in model that I pull out every month or so and recharge it.

Mine is heavy... I think it's pushing 900lbs as I recall. Having said that, I've managed to move it twice, once from Beeville into a storage unit, and then into my new place. It's currently on a dolly, waiting to move to its final place in this house. If you need ideas on moving it around I can give you pointers as I've moved mine several times.

Fire rating does increase as weight and security increases, but I don't think it's as important as many think. Unless your home is a total loss in a fire the temps inside the room where the fire is will not be elevated to those temps very long.

For me, mechanical locks all the way.

OP -- You're in the Corpus Area, yes? I ordered mind through SharpShooter and since it wasn't in stock had to be ordered. It took some back and forth with the kid at the counter but I was able to get it drop shipped directly to my house (I was in Beeville at the time).
Get Off My Lawn
cbr said:

Id get one with nothing digital or elecrronic at all. Mechanical lock.
For your main safe - yes. I went electronic with my bedside safe for the multiple entry methods (small kids in house).
tlh3842
AG
I think it all depends on what you're looking for.

Are you wanting a single spot to store guns and any other important things, just so they're congregated and any security at all is a plus? Or, are you looking for an end all be all, the house goes down this is the box I'm looking to out last and save every thing (or similar situation with a burglar)?

I'd say most people are somewhere in between. Everything is debatable and mostly personal preference. Main thing we can all agree on, get one "rated" for way more guns than you have or thing you'll need. Basically get the biggest you can afford/have room for.
Bigballin
AG
I just bought a liberty colonial 50 from Moore Security. Pretty big. Went for size. Price stung a little bit my wife didn't want to buy another if we went too small.
tlh3842
AG
How much did it end up being all included? $2xxx?
Bigballin
AG
2700 delivered in my house (not to just the curb) and bolted to the floor.
Goodest Poster
AG
Have 2 of the Cannon from TSC. For the money, theyre hard to beat if your main agenda is keeping guns locked up.
If you want fire rating you will need to spend much more.
samsal75
AG
Champion Safe Co.
cbr
AG
B-1 83 said:

Please explain. I've heard it both ways and I'm open to all opinions.
I would never want to rely on electrical power, batteries, or keeping a back up key for a safe. I can see lots, and lots,of downsides to that, and not one single upside. What is the upside? And fingerprints only work with both power and a clean uninjured finger. Just memorize a combo

Cant lose it, burn it, flood it, it just works

Kenneth_2003
AG
What he said.
"oh it takes too long to open my safe"

Really? It takes like 10-15 seconds to spin a dial. How often are you in the thing? Once a week? Maybe?
Mechanical locks just work! 1st time, everytime.
INOX
Safe lights are worth every penny:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3JAZJU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, consider a humidity monitor:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013BKDO8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I paid someone to delivery my safe. If they damage the tile or wood floors they replace it. Delivery and bolted to the floor cost me $180.

I recommend a digital safe as everyone handles duress differently it may not be so easy to work the dial. You do need to change the batteries on some models. A "speed" workaround for a mechanical dial is to preload the first two sets of digits making it a lot easier but obviously there are risk associated with that method.
cbr
AG
Lol, you dont ever keep anything you need urgently in a safe. If you are talking guns if its not loaded and sitting within 3' of you then you will never touch it in an emergency.
byfLuger41
INOX
cbr said:

Lol, you dont ever keep anything you need urgently in a safe. If you are talking guns if its not loaded and sitting within 3' of you then you will never touch it in an emergency.

I somewhat agree with you but when people have small kids or irresponsible teens its up to them if they want them all in the safe. My HK is just about 3' from my bed held by a magnet.

And not all emergencies happen at night when you're 3' from your firearm. You're never going to be robbed or whatever at your convenience. You're going be sitting on the toilet or whatever.
cbr
AG
Definitely not trying to be rude, just reality that anything in any safe is safe from impacting pretty much any emergency.
Whaler
AG
I agree on the mechanical lock. I will be changing my electronic lock to mechanical soon. I'm so tired of buying 9-volt batteries for the safe -- they just don't last long enough. Plus, the electronic locks (even with fresh batteries) are not as reliable. I really wish I had gotten a mechanical lock to begin with.
tk127ag
AG
How hard is this process and what is required to get rid of digital/electric key pad?
byfLuger41
AG
Thanks for sharing the monitor.

I recently purchased a Champion TH-60 and was shopping for a decent device to keep a closer eye on the Lugers and Garands.

Cheers.
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
B-1 83
AG
Ended up with a Browning 49 gun case. Lots of storage and door gun places. Delivered and bolted to the foundation. They have a good rebate through Academy.
MR Gadsden
Good choice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.