Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best low light condition binos

11,545 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by arrow
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haha. There's not any alphas on the list. For various reasons, it has definitely become the season of optics this year!

3 and 6 year old kids: Kowa YF 6x30 (About perfect for the little kids. We need more high-end porro options!)

Wife: Maven B3 8x30 (This is a little sweetheart of a bino.)

Mother: Meopta Meopro 8x32 (I got these for free in a Swaro ATX deal!)

In-Laws: Maven C1 8x42

Caladan, if I lived near BCS it would be a lot of fun to get together and talk optics.
AgEng06
AG
That's still close to a couple grand in binos...
arrow
AG
2(80)+525+0+290 = 975

I'm not that nice.

Man, I've got to get some work done. I'm a sucker for a good gear discussion. Particularly optics.
Caladan
arrow said:

3 and 6 year old kids: Kowa YF 6x30 (About perfect for the little kids. We need more high-end porro options!)

Wife: Maven B3 8x30 (This is a little sweetheart of a bino.)
Those Kowas are a great choice for kids - probably the best really. Another really interesting bino for kids is the Pentax Papilio. Small and light in weight, but focuses so closely that you can focus on your own navel. People often only think of using binoculars to look at things that are far away. But looking bugs on the flowers at your feet with extremely high magnification opens up a whole new world, especially for kids.

Just in case you hadn't seen one, you might investigate the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. It is essentially the same bino as the Maven B3, and although more utilitarian-looking than the Maven, costs several hundred dollars less. The M7 is IMO the best-performing binocular of any configuration in it's ~$300 price class.

C
arrow
AG
I did consider the M7s. No doubt they are the same frame (again Kamakura). According to Maven they are not a clone internally. I can't confirm or deny. Maven claims a better optical experience with less glare and upgraded trim. I do know the little black Maven is going to be a great bino for my wife. If the M7 is equal optically, it is a great buy and something that should be recommended to every bowhunter (that doesn't have unusually large hands) on the OB.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.