Outdoors
Sponsored by

Optic for ar-15

5,455 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by reddog90
Zumwalt601
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
what is the best option for my 10.5 mk18
Looking at
Trijicon MRO Patrol, 2 MOA Red Dot Sight with American Defense Mfg Co-Witness, Tactical, Quick Release

Trying to stay in the $600 range

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
On something like that, I'd be looking either MRO or EOTech. Personally, I like the EOTechs but it's a pick your poison deal. A lot have been turned off by EOTech due to the POI shift that was undisclosed but it isn't something that most people ever run into.

Definitely look at the Aimpoint PRO, but for a smaller gun, I like the MRO better. More compact and looks great.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Mr. Dubi
MRO or Aimpoint H/T micro
Zumwalt601
AG
On the MRO would you go with the full or lower 1/3 mount
Zumwalt601
AG
Or low mount
HUEY04
AG
I prefer the Trijicon MRO, next option would be the Aimpoint Micro H-1/T-1. To me the MRO has a more open field of view and seems less like you are looking through a tube.
SMM48
AG
Do you have any astigmatism.

If you do. The single dot on the Aimpoint is going to look like a dash

I have both the Eotech exps3 and the Aimpoint t2 micro.

Between the two I prefer the Eotech with its 1 MOa center dot and 65 moa circle of death.

My astigmatism is effected less by the Eotech than it is by the Aimpoint.

You should be/might be faster with the Eotech.

It's a damn shame ithat my Aimpoint basically told me I had astigmatism. Didn't even know I had it.
SMM48
AG
Personally I'd go with lower 13rd. Sight picture less cluttered if you don't have collapsible sights.

Also if you plan to have a 3x magnifier. That 2moa dot on Aimpoint will become 6 moa at 100 yds.

The Eotech stays at 1 moa magnified.
Zumwalt601
AG
No augmentism that I know of
I do have collapsible sights but can remove
SMM48
AG
I'm not a fan of taking backup sights off. Leave em on.

If you think a magnifier might be in your future. And you are thinking Aimpoint.

The T2, plus a magnifier plus back up rear sight will all fit on your upper. Do not let the mount carry over to the Handguard.

Pluses on the t2. Battery life, and weight. Basically can leave it on for year/years.
Pluses on the Eotech. Larger sight window and reticle. Battery 600 hours.
I'm running the Eotech g33 magnifier. It will line up perfectly with Eotech. With the t2, I'm using the Aimpoint tall riser and the Aimpoint lrp mount, That combo is the only one I found that lines up the g33 and the t2 perfectly. Have a LaRue mount that sits cockeyed to the g33. Either sits too low or sits too high.

Either way you go can't go wrong.

You can find comparisons on YouTube between all the optics you are thinking of.

junior200414
AG
Vortex UH1

*Side topic - any backstory on the username? Don't come across many others with that name very often.
nortex97
AG
I've never really figured out what the 500-600 buck RDS do that the 130-150 units (like vortec) don't.
Mr. Dubi
nortex97 said:

I've never really figured out what the 500-600 buck RDS do that the 130-150 units (like vortec) don't.
Crisp, round dot and reliability.
gibberish
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

nortex97 said:

Crisp, round dot and reliability.
and battery life/ bombproof ruggedness.

another one you could consider is the Sig romeo 4T. FBI has cleared it for their purposes. just a consideration the solar is intriguing, but i dont have any experience with it. Personally always used aimpoints.

mmtexasace
AG
FYI Trijicon MRO Patrol 2.0 MOA Red Dot without Mount is on sale at Primary Arms for 499.99 (+ tax & ship) today.

Link
GMaster0
If you hunt around, usually you can find used acogs for around $500. I really like this optic for easy of use, adjustments and durability. The low light use is great too with the fiber optic line and if the tritium has some life left. These are the optic of choice on USMC rifles and vary based on unit in the Army.
nortex97
AG
Ok, I haven't seen any studies showing reliability issues with the 150 buck products though. I mean, you can buy 3 for the price of 1 trijicon. I just don't get the crispness difference cited, and it isn't documented in the reviews I've read either/shot.

Do folks think they are getting non-Chinese components or something, or is it something else I am missing for 500-600 bucks? I again am not condemning anyone's decision/preference, just curious. There must be something I don't understand is my premise. You can get a very good brand new AR today for 500 dollars (or build it for 250-350); why double the cost for the optic?
Zumwalt601
AG
Just my last name though not very common
I take it you are a Zumwalt also?
Zumwalt601
AG
when you say MRO do you mean MRO or the MRO patrol
junior200414
AG
Yessir. My lineage goes back through the Missouri Zumwalt's.
Zumwalt601
AG
I take it you are from Dallas then
TSJ
AG
I just picked up a vortex uh-1 for a 10.5 sbr. I'll get some pics of it tomorrow evening.
Zumwalt601
AG
Thanks
junior200414
AG
From Missouri, grew up in east Texas. I'll try and get some pics of my 10.5" with my UH-1 also.
junior200414
AG

96AustinAg
AG
None of the training professionals I know will trust EOTechs... to me, that's a clue, but YMMV. One consideration with one of the cowitnessed micro dots like the aim point, primary arms advanced micro (budget), etc is if you leave your front sight in place or not folded down, you get a crude ghost ring from the optic and FSP if the dot dies.
reddog90
AG
I like my T2 on a scalarworks mount. Will put a crossfire on my scorpion though.

SMM48
AG
opposite here. LE i'm familiar with...PD(bro in law), Swat (two guys), ATF (2 guys), FBI (3 guys). prefer the eotech.

Hey....all the more reason to own both!!!!

SMM48
AG
that's easy....cause we want to look cool.
Zumwalt601
AG
Nice looking gun
Wodanaz
AG
reddog90 said:

I like my T2 on a scalarworks mount. Will put a crossfire on my scorpion though.

What all am I looking at here? I like it.
SMM48
AG
aero precision lower se Texas. Sweet looking lower
Spikes tactical upper.
Ballistic advantage bcg.
I'm guessing that's an aero precision handguard. Or could be a geissele.
BCM forward vertical grip.
Aimpoint t2.
Geissele enhanced or enhanced combat flat trigger or sg3.....it's one of their flat triggers
Looks like a streamlight weapon light. Hlx with a 45 degree magpul mount. Bright light.
Cloud defensive tape switch bracket.
Guessing radian charging handle.

TSJ
AG
Here is my 10.5 sbr. I have waited way too long to finish it.

Zumwalt601
AG
I will get some pics up of my first build as soon as I figure it out

I'm still on the fence about the optics, going to have to go check out all of your suggestions
gibberish
AG
I would say it depends on your use case. If this will strictly be a range gun, go budget as nortex suggests. Good companies like Vortex will take care of you if you, unfortunately, have a problem.

However, I have shot enough competitions and classes to have seen people need to have their primary arms, and vortex optics have to go back for service.

So if this optic will be used for a defense, duty, work gun, I recommend selecting an optic that has been thoroughly vetted tested to more stringent standards. Could budget one pass the same standards, possibly but it has not been proven yet in a systematic fashion with multiple product units. And the range issues I have witnessed are enough reason for me not to put them on a defensive gun. Components may be sourced in from similar places but that does not mean that the final build qualities and impact resistance is equal.

Also from a utility, I prefer the big dials for intensity adjustment over push button, so that means MRO, or Aimpoint Micros. Vortex does have the Crossfire II with a dial so I am considering it for a PCC gamer gun.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.