Outdoors
Sponsored by

What would you do?

3 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgEng06
JH06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just to keep it short I won't go into crazy detail...

Neighbor bought a $3200 hunt for his sons birthday present at a charity fundraiser auction. Over the course of 5-6 weeks he calls and texts the outfitter with no response. Called the charity organizer who said "copy me on the text" so he did and within 5 minutes he gets a response. Outfitter is booked for November, but asks for dates in December and they finally agree on one.

The hunt he bought was a "2 days/2nights lodging plus a Trophy or Management Buck (Guides Choice) and an Axis Doe". They go out to the ranch this weekend and meet the guide and discuss the hunt. Guide agrees they are looking for a 130-140 class buck, so to the stand they go. They spooked up one buck while driving that would have maybe gone 130 but it was running so there was no shot. Deer blinds were all full of raccoon crap, didn't see a single buck over 2.5-3.5 and none that would break 100", then ended up shooting a yearling axis doe because they couldn't find any others. Basically the trip was a miserable birthday present so my neighbor talked to the guide and asked what they were going to do to get his kid a buck. He let the guide know he was not able to get ahold of the outfitter very easily and asked if he could reach out directly to him if that's ok. Guide said he would reach out to the outfitter and they would be in contact to figure it out.

When he got home today he got a message from the outfitter saying he was uninvited back and how dare he accuse him of being unprofessional (which he didn't say, all he said was they had communication issues), and then throws out "it was a charity auction and is costing me money, what did you really expect?"

This outfitter was recongized in front of thousands of people, featured on their website, and got a lot of publicity from this... plus I am not sure but is it a tax write off by donating?

So my question is what would you do? The outfitter is partners in a pretty well known outfitter company in New Braunfels, but ran this through his personal outfitter business. He also owns another business that is service oriented. Do you put the guy on blast on Facebook and hunting pages? Do you contact a lawyer? What would you do if you paid $3200 for a hunt and all you get is a yearling axis plus the outfitter treats you like absolute crap when you ask about coming back for the management/trophy buck?
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Contact the charity and ask for a partial refund of the donation.
CrottyKid
AG
And also name the outfitter publicly to shame them.
JH06
Yeah problem with that is it was 6 months ago and the money went to a local girl with an untreatable life threatening disease. Money was being raised so the parents could take off work and spend the last few months of her life with her.
CactusThomas
AG
"The hunt he bought was a "2 days/2nights lodging plus a Trophy or Management Buck (Guides Choice) and an Axis Doe"."

I've never done anything like this so maybe I'm way off but with a hunt like this I would assume you get the 2 days and 2 nights but the animals aren't guaranteed, but more like a limit, right?
JH06
Was thinking a good public blasting is needed, also wondering if we should contact the IRS and inform them he donated something and didn't actually provide the service. Anyone know if you can still get tax write offs on donated hunting trips and things like that?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Tear down their high fence.
JH06
If he had an option to shoot a buck and passed Or missed a shot I would agree completely, but being they didnt even get that option I have a hard time with them not at least letting him come back or pop a couple doe?
JH06
2500 acres low fenced, I think it is basically an Axis lease.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Trophy or management buck, based on guide or outfitter's choice, in my mind translates to a spike.

Sorry for you neighbor's loss. That sucks.
Gig 'em! '90
AstroAggie15
AG
Sounds like your neighbor paid for a harvest but got a hunt
Max06
AG
What is the outcome that you want? What would make you "whole"?

The reason I ask is because 1) it was a charitable event so a refund isn't exactly ideal, and 2) if the outfitter is treating you this way now, what makes you think he would treat you any better if he did offer you another hunt?
JH06
To be honest I don't know what my neighbor wants to do, or will do. Probably just eats the money but I am pissed because his son isn't going to get the hunt. I hate the fact someone is giving a kid a bad hunting experience.
JH06
Yeah the words "Trophy or Management" don't normally go together... sad thing is the guide was legit and on the same page. The outfitter is the POS and honestly put them on a ranch that didn't have enough deer to give them any real chance.

OnlyForNow
AG
If you bought this through DU or CCA they would make it right, but being a private charity... doubt it.
lotsofhp
AG
Hell of a birthday gift
Canyon99
Contact the outfitter and give him a chance to make it right. If he doesn't receive a timely response I'd say let others know via Facebook or twitter so they can avoid this guy.
cheeky
AG
Why not let us know, as well?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Just tell us so this thread can evolve to the next natural phase where the outfitter makes an account to come fight on Texags
SanAntoneAg
AG
OP, did they hunt 2 days/2 nights?

Were they provided meals and lodging? If so, was it part of the package and were they satisfied?
Gig 'em! '90
harge57
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Sounds like your neighbor paid for a harvest but got a hunt
Exactly. Shooting a wild animal is never a guarantee. Nothing about this seems off to me other than the communication issues, and the outfitter probably should have kept his cool in the face of criticism. All that said I have never been a part of a guided hunt so don't know the standard operating procedure.
JH06
Let me make sure my neighbor isn't trying to work it out and if he is done trying I will post his name and outfitter name. Have a feeling someone on here will be friends with him and it should be good entertainment.

To answer someone's question above, yes it included 2 nights of lodging and food/drinks so that part was provided. He was told "corporate lodge" but it was really just a deer camp with a couple bedrooms but who cares because it had a bed and pillow and he wasn't looking for the Ritz.
JH06
The majority of game ranches that sell hunts like this guarantee at least the chance to harvest a deer or they normally will setup another trip. Now if you pass, or miss the animal that's a totally different thing.

Honestly this is why most ranches have a trip fee, and then a kill fee. Coming out hunting costs X, kill fee cost $-$$$.
CSTXAg92
AG
In. Something doesn't seem right here. Will look forward to reading more as you post OP.
ursusguy
AG
Couple more clues and we will start guessing.
SabineAg
AG
Friends of mine had a similar experience, they contacted the auction organizers about if. Shortly after the outfitter reached back out having done a 180 with his attitude. So that should be step one.

Step 2 if that doesn't work is just to put them on blast and give negative reviews.
Post removed:
by user
NW80
AG
Do Not Buy Donated Hunts!!!!
You have NO recourse!
Just like do not buy combo huints!
DoubleOught-BMA
AG
JH06 said:

Let me make sure my neighbor isn't trying to work it out and if he is done trying...

This. From the OP, sounded like he only got a message back and there wasnt dialogue after the hunt. Maybe a conversation will clear the air. That said- i do recognize the challenge it has been getting this guy to communicate, so this conversation might be a pipe dream. Sucks
Cancelled
AG
What a mindset on these type of hunts.
ccard257
AG
NW80 said:

Do Not Buy Donated Hunts!!!!
You have NO recourse!
Just like do not buy combo hunt

What do you mean by combo hunt and why not buy them? I've never bought one of these type hunts, genuinely curious.
TRADUCTOR
Way too passionate about neighbor's spending
schmellba99
AG
I know this is the OB and as such, we have completely different rules for everything, and most of the time it's your fault for buying a "packaged" hunt.

But in the real world, there are some expectations, especially in a situation like this where you are buying a hunt (likely over market at that) because it's a chartiable cause. One of those expectations is good communication, another is the outfitter being professional.

If i'm paying that kid of money for a hunt, I have the expectation that the outfitter is going to be professional and somewhat prompt on communications, and that the blinds I'm going to do have racoon or owl sht in them. Whether or not I see a shooter is up to the hunting Gods, but I also expect at least an opportunity to shoot - whether that's on the first trip or second trip or 3rd trip. If I pass it up or I miss, that's on me. After all, that is what you paid for. That's not too much to ask.

Frankly this outfitter sounds like a raging D, and if I were the neighbor, I'd politely tell him that he is being given this opportunity to make things right, and if he passes this opportunity up, social media is a powerful tool and that 1 bad review holds the same weight of 10 or more great reviews and he needs to remember that his income is largely reference based.
TRADUCTOR
burn down the outfitter's place, then tell neighbor you made him whole.
sunchaser
AG
Well said.....

Quote:

I'd politely tell him that he is being given this opportunity to make things right, and if he passes this opportunity up, social media is a powerful tool and that 1 bad review holds the same weight of 10 or more great reviews and he needs to remember that his income is largely reference based.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.