Outdoors
Sponsored by

DIY Outdoor Kitchen build (pic heavy)

13,134 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by water turkey
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started build second week of September and finished over the weekend. Took almost every weekend and some weeknights in between. If anyone wants a cost break down I can provide it. I think I was all in at about $5,000 with appliances. Not sure how much this would have cost if I used a contractor. Appliances are a Danby beverage fridge, Kamade Joe Large, Blaze Griddle, Blaze 27' gas grill.

Welded frame from 1" square tubing

Overlaid with cement board

Forms for concrete countertops. Used the Concrete Countertop Solutions system with their concrete additive.

Poured countertops. Wife and I did this in a morning mixing in a 7 gallon bucket and drill.

Forms removed. Was going to fill in air pockets but left them because I liked the look.

Polished and stained. Used water based stain from Concrete Countertop Solutions, polished with diamond sanding pads from amazon, and sealed with Eagle gloss coat from Home Depot.

Stone work. Used Airstone faux stone from Lowes. Very pleased with this product. Cut on a table saw with a diamond masonry blade. Bonded with Loctite PL adhesive. Love the look of it and very easy to work with.

Finished Product.

gonemaroon
AG
Nice work!
agingcowboy
AG
That looks awesome! Wish I had skills like that.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Joe Exotic
AG
agingcowboy said:

That looks awesome! Wish I had skills like that.
I really don't have that great of skills. The only part of it I really knew before was welding, and I did that off and on since high school. Just watched a ton of YouTube videos.
RFD
Tumble Weed
Very impressed with the concrete countertops. It is one of those things that I want to attempt, but my concrete jobs never look like that. Please give more details on how you polished it.

Do you have rebar in the counters?

TwoMarksHand
Joe Exotic
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Very impressed with the concrete countertops. It is one of those things that I want to attempt, but my concrete jobs never look like that. Please give more details on how you polished it.

Do you have rebar in the counters?

They were actually pretty easy. I used a proprietary system from Concrete Countertop Solutions. They pretty much offer everything you need but the sand mix concrete. The reinforcement is a fiberglass mesh they sell on spacers. The additive they sell makes the sand mix flowable and it easily goes into the forms and the mesh. After it cured for two days I used an orbital palm sander with a set of diamond pads I got on Amazon for about $30. Went up to 250 grit and it was smooth and the sealant made it shine. Honestly, after the steel troweling it probably didn't even need the polishing.
drummer0415
AG
Bo Darville said:

Appliances are a Danby beverage fridge, Kamade Joe Large, Blaze Griddle, Blaze 27' gas grill.

27 foot gas grill??? You're gonna need a bigger patio.
drummer0415
AG
Bo Darville said:

I think I was all in at about $5,000 with appliances. Not sure how much this would have cost if I used a contractor.

Easily twice that amount.

Looks great and good job on saving yourself a ton of money.
JYDog90
AG
it looks great! nice work.
Formerly Willy Wonka
cheeky
AG
Outstanding!
memace
AG
Is that Danby an outdoor fridge? Mine went out and looking into replacements.
AnScAggie
AG
That is an awesome job. Very, very nice.
La Fours
AG
Very nice. Great job.
Joe Exotic
AG
memace said:

Is that Danby an outdoor fridge? Mine went out and looking into replacements.

Yes. It's been outside for a couple of years. Pretty solid and gets really cold.
La Fours
AG
What was your process to determine the frame dimensions? Do you have a blue print that you worked off of?
jt2hunt
AG
Awesome
Joe Exotic
AG
I'm fairly efficient at AutoCAD and drew a mock up of the counter space and appliance layout and worked backwards from there. I put everything on an individual layer and could "peel the onion" to see how it would fit. In that way, my frame dimensions were determined by cement board, which was determined by stone, then counter overhang.
La Fours
AG
Nice.
Turf-Ag02
AG
What brand refrigerator did you go with? We are looking for a replacement and I really like the glass door.
Joe Exotic
AG
It's one I already owned. It's a Danby and has been outside for two years. Kept under an overhang so never exposed to elements. Talked to a Danby rep and he said has long as it's covered it should be fine and hold up. I think it was a couple hundred bucks or so.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Does the concrete board screw into the metal framing? Or a bracket?
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Joe Exotic
AG
Screwed directly into metal framing with self tapping cement board screws I found on amazon.
reddog90
AG
Awesome work.
DoubleOught-BMA
AG
Very nice job. I like the edge profile on your countertops a lot.
matthewj042
MookieBlaylock
AG
Very nice
BenFiasco14
AG
When are ya having me over, Bayside?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
I had something very similar quoted but with granite countertops and it was $12k.

Nice work!!
Salt of the water
AG
Very nice!

Did you hard pipe in the gas for the griddle and grill or are you using bottles?
SA_Ag93
AG
Great job.

I went with Blaze products in Feb' 17....have really enjoyed the gas grill and indestructible kamado.

Enjoy!
OregonAggie
AG
That looks awesome!
Joe Exotic
AG
Salt of the water said:

Very nice!

Did you hard pipe in the gas for the griddle and grill or are you using bottles?

My house is all electric. I'm going to use bottles for now but am looking at having a 250 gallon propane tank set and run eventually.
FortWorthAg
AG
What is the depth of your counter with the Kamado and grill? I'm about to start my build and am worried about my grill or Kamado hitting the backsplash when I open the lid.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.