Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pellet Smokers

5,283 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bird93
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about picking one up for home use. My wife and I are empty nesters, so we don't need a huge cooking surface. Can't imagine a scenario where I'll need to smoke 6 chickens for the two of us.

Any particular recommendations? My preference would be to keep the cost under $800 or so.
agingcowboy
AG
Green Mountain Grills are worth a look in my opinion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BurnetAggie99
Camp Chief PG24 Deluxe with the Sear Box is very hard to beat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVELGT6/?tag=aboutcom02thespruceeats-20&ascsubtag=4159120%7Cgoogle.com%7C%7C%7C%7C1%7C
BMach
AG
My Traeger works great
n_touch
Got a Green Mountain a couple months ago after looking at them and the Traeger. I felt they were better for the money. Depending on where you live Texas Grill Shop carries both Traeger and GMG. You can see the different sizes and choose from there. I went with the Daniel Boone. It has more than enough room for our family with left overs. It gets hotter than the Traeger and we have been doing reverse sear steaks on it. Also picked up the pizza oven. Have only used it a couple times but are enjoying it.
txagkyle
AG
Kind of depends on how much you want to spend. The Green Mountain is good, the yoders are higher quality. Have cooked on both and the GMG tends to have one side hotter than the other. The Yoder doesn't do that but it will cost much more.

Don't worry too much though, pellet grills are great. The brand doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
n_touch
txagkyle said:

Kind of depends on how much you want to spend. The Green Mountain is good, the yoders are higher quality. Have cooked on both and the GMG tends to have one side hotter than the other. The Yoder doesn't do that but it will cost much more.

Don't worry too much though, pellet grills are great. The brand doesn't make a whole lot of difference.
easy to fix by sliding the heat shield over.
Oldman04
AG
Another +1 for the Green Mountain Grill. I love mine. I use it all the time. I researched a lot of pellet grills and the GMG was the winner in the price/quality ratio.
EskimoJoe
i have had a green mountain for 6 years. would recommend
mm98
AG
Also interested. On hour 16 of a brisket with very little sleep and had to refill my WSM once already. Smells good but the work sometimes isn't worth it.
cr
Avoid the Pitt Boss. I had two that I returned.. Control unit display went bad on one and the fan went belly up on the other.

I have a CAMP Chef on the way, the SmokePro DLX.
cr
mm98 said:

Also interested. On hour 16 of a brisket with very little sleep and had to refill my WSM once already. Smells good but the work sometimes isn't worth it.

I smoked two briskets during the short time I had the Pitt Boss. Put those bad boys on around 8-9pm, went to sleep, never tended to it and had brisket ready for dinner the next day, after storing in the cooler. No crutching, just let em go. And they were great briskets.

Im sold on them. I will be smoking a lot more now that I have one (or will have when the replacement comes in Monday)
n_touch
Good to know. My decision was between the pit boss and GMG. I did like the open flame feature on the pit boss. Have done steaks on yhe GMG and at the highest temp we get great sear marks and a crust.
aggiechugger
AG
Might look at Grilla Grills. I have read some great things about them and the price is right with free shipping. www.grillagrills.com
LawHall88
AG
Did some looking around today. Green Mountain seems to hit the spot on size and price point. All the sales people wanted to tell me the back story between Traeger and Green Mountain.
rlb28
AG
mm98 said:

electric smoker
Post removed:
by user
mm98
AG
Any additional thoughts you can share? I'm looking at the Grilla or the Silverback as they seem to be of good quality and price point.

Also like the Green Mountain ones but haven't researched them as much yet.
Bird Poo
AG
Rec Tec owner. Best purchase I've ever made. Can't wait to start smoking turkeys.
Schall 02
AG
Camp Chef makes the Cabelas branded ones. I've been happy with mine.
Furlock Bones
AG
Schall 02 said:

unfortunately, Bass Pro now owns Cabela's and they are not honoring warranties.
cr
Furlock Bones said:

Schall 02 said:

unfortunately, Bass Pro now owns Cabela's and they are not honoring warranties.

that's garbage!
letterman72
AG
Friend of mine did I some research on the net. He picked the Rec-Tec because of the thicker gauge steel.
tmaggies
AG
Corn starch and soybean oil????
Proc92
Looks like masternuilt is turning their insulated box smoker into a pellet set up. Might be interesting.
CowtownAg06
AG
I got a Camp Chef last Christmas and love it. If this is going to be your only grill (it is for me), having the sear box add on is great for a quick steak or reverse searing.

It seems like there are a lot of people on here who love their smoker. I don't think you can go wrong.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

I got a Camp Chef last Christmas and love it. If this is going to be your only grill (it is for me), having the sear box add on is great for a quick steak or reverse searing.

It seems like there are a lot of people on here who love their smoker. I don't think you can go wrong.
+1 on the sear box. I've done some reverse searing on just regular ribeyes from Costco and they have turned out great. I'd really like to reverse sear about a 3" tomahawk ribeye. It's on my to-do list.
AgAE
AG
Yoder..look no further
n_touch
AgAE said:

Yoder..look no further

Not happening at less than $800
LawHall88
AG
I went with the Green Mountain. Smoked some ribs this weekend, I was really happy how they turned out.

I looked at the Yoders, but just more than I wanted to pay.

I do wonder how well the GMG will work in colder weather.
agingcowboy
AG
LawHall88 said:

I went with the Green Mountain. Smoked some ribs this weekend, I was really happy how they turned out.

I looked at the Yoders, but just more than I wanted to pay.

I do wonder how well the GMG will work in colder weather.

I've smoked when it's 30-40 degrees outside with my GMG. Burns more pellets per hour but still holds steady temps in my experience with it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
n_touch
There is a thermal blanket that many use. There is a group of GMG owners on Facebook. Lots of info and ideas. Some crazies on there with what they do to mod their machines but its a good group. Will add the link when at a computer.

Green Mountain Owners Facebook Page.

What size did you end up going with?
cr
Amazing Ribs is a great BBQ reference site that I use all the time. Here are their ratings on pellet smokers :

https://amazingribs.com/equipment-reviews?field_manufacturer_target_id=All&field_prod_function_tid%5B%5D=2&field_fuel_tid%5B%5D=3
LawHall88
AG
n_touch said:

There is a thermal blanket that many use. There is a group of GMG owners on Facebook. Lots of info and ideas. Some crazies on there with what they do to mod their machines but its a good group. Will add the link when at a computer.

Green Mountain Owners Facebook Page.

What size did you end up going with?
We went with the Daniel Boone.
JarAG2007
AG
I got a Pit Boss from academy on display last year and love it. I saw someone had issues with their pit boss, but mine has been fine. I like the slide cover so you can have direct access to the flame for steaks. I do a a slow smoke and then sear with this and family likes it.

I did research for a long time before getting this. I didn't want to spend a lot before trying the pellet method and seeing if i liked it. Now that i have one i don't think i will ever go back. I have cooked pizza, burgers, steaks, and smoked chicken, ribs, brisket. Very versatile in what it can do.

A camp chef would be another good intro unit.

If i were to spend more money and go all in i would have looked at the rec tec. They have amazing customer service and a good product from everything i have read and people i talked to. The green mountain grill has mixed reviews with their wifi capability and heat retention. That doesn't mean it isn't a good product though. Just keep in mind if the only reason you like it is for wifi and monitoring your cooks, you can buy after mark probes and wifi/bluetooth capable devices to give you that option. I have a grilleye system that works well for me.

Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.