Outdoors
Sponsored by

Garrison Brothers Balmorhea

3,268 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie Pharmer
Slided bread
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody had it?

Thinking about getting some for my FIL in North Carolina. The private cask is one of his favorite bourbons.

In before "GB is overrated".
FlyFish95
Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good
TxSquarebody
Haven't had that one, but I do enjoy my GB single barrel!
Floor it until you see God
LRHF
AG
I've given up messing around with Texas whiskey/ bourbon. Just stick with good Kentucky brands!

I'm good with other types of distilleries in Texas but not brown waters. I recall going to a whiskey distillery in Houston that used city water! Despite that (and with filtering) was okay but not buying on a regular basis.

Good luck working through the overprice Texas liquors.
Slided bread
AG
This is brand new information.

Don't really care how much it costs, just trying to get him a cool Christmas gift from a distillery he enjoys. It could be $30 and I'd still be asking.
Furlock Bones
AG
Like everything else they make. It will be extremely unrefined and overpriced.
Secolobo
AG
That's a long way to haul water.
Can I go to sleep Looch?
jja79
AG
Balmorhea? I take it you've not been there.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I finally found a bourbon I can drink straight that is made in Texas. It is called Jimmy's and is made by Keipersol out of Tyler. Distribution is limited but it will expand, it is a really good value at $40/bottle. We may not do much right in ETX but we know how to distill.
Secolobo
AG
jja79 said:

Balmorhea? I take it you've not been there.
I've swam and relaxed in its cool waters, thank you.
Does it have the spring water in it or what?
Can I go to sleep Looch?
DripAG08
AG
Believe the barrels are aged in the sun out towards Balmorhea.
BobCatDave
AG
Nice flavor, just not a fan of over proofed whiskey. Eagle Rare for me all day.
"I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else." - Winston Churchill
DallasAggies01
AG
I'm not a Whiskey or Bourbon guy really I enjoy a good scotch though. Since this thread came up and a couple haters posted I thought I'd ask what do y'all think of TX Whiskey or even their Bourbon? I've only drank it straight from the bottle before after a best friend of mine died at 40 years old and that was his go to (he was a Tsip so that may be the problem). The wife however loves it now.

So is it **** or is it any good in y'alls minds?
jtp01
AG
I really tried to like it as some of the corn they use comes from the Texas Panhandle. But it just wasn't something I enjoyed. I ended up giving the bottle to my FIL (he's like Mikey, he will drink anything).

Bottom line, if your FIL likes it then it is a great gift regardless of what others think.
jja79
AG
I have no idea. My dad was school superintendent there and he would drop us off in an irrigation canal and we would tube a Saturday away.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Pretty sure the blended whiskey has neutral grain spirit in it.

The bourbon is meh and over priced which is par for the course for Texas bourbon.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
I bought some. Don't like it very much at all. Haven't had it in a while, so can't put my finger on why I didn't like it. I think the flavor profile was just too messed up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.