Outdoors
Sponsored by

Morning vs. Evening Fishing

3,454 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by civilized05
civilized05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's yall's opinion?

The wife and I are wanting to take the boat out next weekend to do some fishing in and around Galveston and were wondering if the fishing in the afternoon/early evening would be as fruitful as the morning. Mainly has to do with having the parents or in-laws watch the kid/kids while we hit the water.

We definitely want to leave the youngest (1 year) but may take the older ones (4 & 6.5) so we're trying to figure out the least inconvenient time to go.

Secondly, what are some spots you guys frequent? Having just gotten my own boat, I'm wanting to start getting familiar with bay and offshore fishing spots. I'll be looking at maps as well but wanted some insight that I value from the board.

TIA!
Mark Fairchild
AG
Just a note on Salt Water, you are generally better off checking the tides vs. the morning or evening thing. Tides really control the bite more that Sunrise or set. Fresh water is the best application of Sunrise, Sunset for fishing. Here is a site that may help you decide on not only the tides but the strength of the tides, with some solunar stuff thrown in.

https://tides4fishing.com
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
civilized05
AG
Been poking around the site. Lots of great info, so thanks for the link!
Salt of the water
AG
For an afternoon/evening trip with the wife and kids West Galveston would be a decent bet. Fish the coves, hit up Watermans for some dinner and a sunset. If the kids are worn out load up and go home. If yall want to fish some more soak some shrimp in the neighborhood lights.
civilized05
AG
Where do you guys launch from when going out of Galveston?

Tiki Island boat ramp pops up on my Google, but I can't tell if it's private or public. Other than that, the TC Dike seems to be about the only other place. Galveston Bait & Tackle looks like a spot.

I doubt I'll be able to put in at any of the yacht clubs.
Salt of the water
AG
Txcoasts.com - Texas GLO map with all public ramps listed. Most have pictures and descriptions.

For W Galv.
-Hitchcock boat ramp (diversion canal)
-Louis bait camp
-Tiki
-61st
-Watermans grill has a ramp (not sure if it's free)
-Jamaica Beach - free ramp but limited parking
-west end / sea isle (the free ramp is kind of crappy. I think the pay ramp is decent
civilized05
AG
Great site! Much easier than fumbling around through Google maps.

Now I just need an app or site that shows me exactly where the fish are and guarantee me a catch.
Mark Fairchild
AG
When you find that site Civilized, be sure and POST IT HERE!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Goodest Poster
AG
If u take kids go early.
If you go without kids, go late.
Goodest Poster
AG
civilized05 said:

Where do you guys launch from when going out of Galveston?

Tiki Island boat ramp pops up on my Google, but I can't tell if it's private or public. Other than that, the TC Dike seems to be about the only other place. Galveston Bait & Tackle looks like a spot.

I doubt I'll be able to put in at any of the yacht clubs.

Depends on where you are going to fish. GB&T is a good place to have options.
NW80
AG
If you sight cast morning is usually better because it put the sun and wind at your back.
Also, the wind is usually lighter earlier than later.
Old Sarge
AG
I rather fish in the morning, but that is how I was brought up. However, the times I fished in the evening have been productive also, but the fishing was known as good when I did, so I guess both can be equally poor also.

Having a fishcamp house close on the water can make either pretty easy. But when one fishes where I like to, it is nice to fish in the morning hours, cause if you get stuck, MAYBE someone will see you and help if possible, or you have all day to work your way out. Getting stuck in the evening likely means you spend the night on the boat in the backwater.

Also, it is nice to have the boat out of the water, charging the troll motor battery, drinking beer and grilling starting in the evening, and ...having a good cigar after a day of fishing.

We used to get in from fishing, get a shower, and head to the Fishing Center in POC to sit with the crowd and give "constructive criticism" with the others to those coming in from fishing all day trying to load boats. Back when the Fishing Center used to allow that. Good times.
Green is the new RED.
CS78
Personally, I much prefer the afternoons. None of that wake up early, short on sleep, hurry, hurry, hurry, fight to buy bait, fight the ramp drama, only to get to your spot to find three boats beat you there. No matter how early you get up, you're always late. Followed by high humidity, lots of sweating, and a sunburn. Trying to do all that with kids makes it even worse.

Much more relaxing and peaceful to take your time and ease out in the evening when everybody else is heading in and enjoy the marsh all to yourself.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I've found that fishing is best whenever you can go out and get in the water. Here on the Laguna sometimes mid-day is better than morning or evening.

That being said, during the heat of summer, mornings are usually better. Early mornings. The water is cooler.

This time of year and into December, no need to get out super early. Let the sun, if it ever shows up again, warm thing up and hit it.
Gig 'em! '90
civilized05
AG
I appreciate all the feedback. Will most likely take the two older kiddos to get them some fishing experience and head out sometime in the morning. Not super early, but early enough to be out there before the tide turns per the website.

With any luck we'll be able to put some in the boat. Worst-case, we spend the morning puttering around the bay together as a family with what is forecasting to be a gem of a weekend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.