Outdoors
Sponsored by

Game Cam Photo - ID??

3,928 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Sarge
captaingus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taken in Hunt, Texas. Looks too big to be a tomcat?

https://imgur.com/gallery/s4lrNMb
LewisChilds
AG
If not a leggy house cat.....ocelot?
raidernarizona
grey tabby
Gunny456
AG
Escaped Auburn or LSU Tiger with CWD.
6.5 Swede
Jaguarundi???

But coloration and size Ocelot...
FSGuide
damned old worthless housecat
KenAg06
AG

I'm going with house cat.
raidernarizona
Caught this one trying to steal my Axis meat recently

My French Pointer tracked him down in the backyard. I'm just east of Hunt before the lake. Holler if you need help and we can get my pup on the trail...

captaingus
AG
Haha.. Can't beat some good red axis meat.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll go with a leggy feral cat.
giddings_ag_06
EastTexAg09
obvious panther is obvious
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
are you guys neighbors? Looks like the same cat from the game cam?
Apache
AG
There has been a proliferation of housecats bred to have spots or stripes like wild cats. Some have been cross bred with wildcats to get those spots. One was seen in the greenbelt behind our house & raised the usual ruckus that it was an Ocelot, when in fact it was someone's Savannah cat.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I assume you did the right thing and posted about your ocelot feeder on your NextDoor page?
carl spacklers hat
Taken in Hunt? 100% housecat.

Every ocelot pic I've seen shows spotting around the hind legs and on the belly. The linked pic doesn't seem to show any of the markings inside the hind legs that you would expect to see on an ocelot.
raidernarizona
If so, please don't shoot my daughter's cat captain! First cat I've liked since I was about 12 years old.

I have an Ingram address, but Hunt is close to a roamable distance. Charlie is outside about 70% of the time.
BuddysBud
AG
raidernarizona said:

Charlie is outside about 70% of the time.

And Charlie has not been eaten by a fox?
Badace52
AG
captaingus said:

Taken in Hunt, Texas. Looks too big to be a tomcat?

https://imgur.com/gallery/s4lrNMb

This is a housecat.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
6.5 Swede said:

Jaguarundi???

But coloration and size Ocelot...

The picture here is a mountain lion a.k.a. cougar. It is not a jaguarundi. Also the housecat in the OP looks nothing like an ocelot.

Ocelot:

Ocelot range (Historic and current as of 2016):

Jaguarundi:

Jaguarundi's are considered extinct in Texas. The map below is their historic range in Texas:

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
6.5 Swede
I already knew it wasn't, If you notice Jaguarundi was ??? but it went this Wikipedia link:

The jaguarundi occurs from southern Texas and coastal Mexico in the north, through Central and South America east of the Andes, and as far south as northern Argentina.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguarundi#cite_note-iucn-2][2][/url] In 2015, it has also been recorded in Cerro Largo, Uruguay.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguarundi#cite_note-8][8][/url] Its habitat is lowland brush areas close to a source of running water, including dry thorn forest to wet grassland. While commonly inhabiting lowlands, it has been reported at elevations as high as 3,200 m (10,500 ft).[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguarundi#cite_note-WCoW-5][5][/url] Occasionally it also occurs in dense tropical areas.

Also notes they have a red color phase:

As a possible Ocelot, found this picture:

Also per Wikipedia: The ocelot (Leopardus pardalis) /slt/ is a wild cat native to the southwestern United States, Mexico, Central and South America.

Notice the larger chest, smaller head in relationship to it's body, and sloped hind quarters which is similar to the OP's picture. Also judging by the size of the animal in relationship to the cedars base, it looks larger than a domestic house cat.

We really don't have enough evidence to make a sound decision, but in all likely hood it is a cat.
Badace52
AG
Jaguarundis are in all likelihood extinct in Texas (as per TPWD and pretty much all small cat experts out there). They have short legs and rounded ears which rules out jaguarundi as the cat in that pic. If jaguarundis are still occasionally ranging into Texas it is only in the lower Rio Grande valley, nowhere near Hunt.

Ocelot is a less definitive no, but that cat has no yellow on it (never seen a gray ocelot) and is not really the right body type for an ocelot. It is shaped more like a margay, but margays don't range anywhere near Texas and are highly arboreal. The chances that there could possibly be a vagrant ocelot in Hunt is much higher than a jaguarundi, but still very close to 0.

Much of the data and range maps wikipedia references are very old. Jaguarundis were extirpated from texas likely in the 80's or 90's. Ocelots do still live in texas (somewhere between 30 and 80 individuals depending on which experts you believe) and mostly in just two to three preserves in the lower Rio Grande Valley.
CM
Badace52
AG
In addition, the red color phase of the jaguarundi is not found in the northern part of the cat's range. It used to be called the eyra and was thought to be a different species. It was thought a kind of South American counterpart to the North American jaguarundi, but it turned out they were the same species.
CM
6.5 Swede
WHATTTT!!!! Wikipedia is wrong???? (sarcasm) Thanks for the more detailed info. BTW where did you get your info from, besides TPWD?

I also know two ranchers located in Victoria whose land is on the river, who swear they've seen a black panther, lost calves to it.

Badace52
AG
I am from Inez, TX from a seventh generation ranching family right there in Victoria County and I can tell you every old rancher in that county swears up and down they have seen black panthers but I have never seen a shred of hard evidence anywhere in the field, online, or in any field guide or zoology text.

There is actually no such thing as a black panthers. The term panther is one of the several hundred common names of the cat referred to in Texas mostly as a cougar or mountain lion.

The only large black cats to occur in significant numbers (i.e. not melanistic) are color phases of the jaguar and leopard. Of course leopards do not occur anywhere in the Americas, and while it is theoretically possible that a black phase jaguar could have lived in Texas at one time, there is no evidence of that having ever occured and the black phase of the jaguar is only known from a few small locales nowhere near Texas. Jaguars have been long extinct in Texas as well.

As far as where I get my information, I was obsessed with zoology and especially Texas native animals from about age 5-25 and I still keep up with as much data as I can about species that interest me.
CM
Log
AG
Here we have an ocelot and a black panther in a fight to the death.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
So stupid. Do people just really want to believe that it's an ocelot or jagarundi, or chupacabra? It's a freaking house cat.

Also to preempt the next thread. No it's not a mountain lion off of 75 and George Bush. It's a dog, or at best case a bobcat.

Also, that massive mountain lion print you saw on Facebook taken in the mud out in an Argyle field. It's a dog. Yup. Just a dog.
Talon2DSO
AG
Likely a Savannah cat?
"Life's tough, but I'm tougher."
Old Sarge
AG
The OP rolls with his kitties...and is.....
Green is the new RED.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.