Outdoors
Sponsored by

Kayak fishing Rockport

1,773 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mark Fairchild
Kwall94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading down to Rockport the week of Halloween to do some kayak and/or wade fishing. Only experience fishing the area is from the pier at Goose Island SP for specks about ten years ago. Anyone have any experience or done any fishing there recently? Mainly targeting reds and specks, but open for just about anything. Any knowledge on spots or presentations to try is appreciated.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
There is a kayak launch close to the airport, turn right out of the launch and you can either wade or kayak. All along the shore in front of the airport. Mainly trout.
Salt of the water
AG
It's fall. That means bull reds in the surf and at the jetties. If you're not looking for a meat haul, go get a Texas sleigh ride.
Kwall94
AG
Any suggestions on chasing bulls in the surf? Is live croaker best?
Kwall94
AG
Wink said:

There is a kayak launch close to the airport, turn right out of the launch and you can either wade or kayak. All along the shore in front of the airport. Mainly trout.

Good info, thanks so much
STX Ag
AG
Don't get your hopes too high. Between the extreme high tides and muddy water from the rain and north wind, the fishing in the bay is **** lately.
Salt of the water
AG
Kwall94 said:

Any suggestions on chasing bulls in the surf? Is live croaker best?

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2857318/1#discussion

If you're doing it by kayak, you don't need the long rods. Just paddle out past the breakers and drop your bait straight down. Lots of good yak info at Texas kayak fisherman.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Second what STX Ag said. Live in Rockport. We have had tides 1 to 2 feet higher than normal for nearly a month, PINS has Coastal Flooding with water to dunes at some high tides. 3 or 4 feet of recent rain has really reduced the salinity of the water (not totally a bad thing). Will the fish still bite, yes. Just wanted you to know what was up. Most years these are our Salad Days, cooler temps, lowered winds. This year, so far, not so much.

Have you considered Yaking Light House Lakes? That might be a better alternative than the surf, surf Yaking can be truly and adventure. Light House would offer you shots at Reds and Trout and you are not far from food and drink at end of day.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Russ11
AG
This is at Cove Harbor south of town.

I've fished this area before in a kayak. Should at least have some decent looking water here even with all of the higher tides.

Should at least be some rat reds in the drains with potential for some black drum and trout too plus a possibility of some better fish too.

A little bit more of a challenge initially getting on the water than a sandy beach tho.
Would think some fresh dead under a popping cork may be best option.
Racer X
AG
I had my best day fishing reds last weekend on chartreuse gulps behind a yellow popping cork
Mark Fairchild
AG
Agree with Russ11, also have seen some Big Reds and Trout along that North shoreline of grass and mangroves in Cove Harbor, not much of a paddle but worth checking prior to crossing the ICW to the Cove.
Ag In Ok
AG
Can't wait, regardless of the rain! I hope to catch some fish with the kids. Any other recommendations for what to throw out there this time of the year? Thanks for the heads up on the chartreuse- will pick some up from tackletown.
Don't have a kayak yet. Well that or a Bote. Speaking of which, anyone heard or have an experience with a Bote?
Mark Fairchild
AG
Ag in OK: BOTE, I am TOO old for paddle boards and on the Coast I do not think I would want one in exposed water, which is really about all we have got here. Just too much wind/wave/wake action for the most part unless you Mother Ship it to some place quite and then get on. IF, big IF, I were into kayaks for the coast I would check out SlowRide Guide Services in Aransas Pass, TX and Rent Before You Buy to see if you like it. There guys, SlowRide, have been here for years.

https://www.slowrideguide.com
361-758-0463
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.