Outdoors
Sponsored by

Feats of Strength - Concrete Mixing / Pouring - Solo Edition

4,299 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jt2hunt
TX_COWDOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have always been one to try and learn new skills and use them for projects, etc. I have done a few small concrete projects and now I have a need for a concrete pad for as I prepare to re-locate our rural water system different location.

So, how much is too much for 1 dude to do by himself?

I have formed up a 8'x18' area with 1/2" rebar with plans of making a 4-5" slab. I have 2 1/2 pallets of 80# quickrete. Recently bought a Harbor Freight cement mixer. I have all the other necessary tools.

Am I crazy to try this by myself?

John Cocktolstoy
Be nice to have at least one extra hand to help. But I bet you could handle it.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
RM1993
AG
Wouldn't the time to ask this question have been before you had pallets of mix delivered and bought a cement mixer?

You've already gone balls deep, might as well duck your head and give it a shot.
greenman99
AG
Your are crazy. You won't be able to mix it fast enough to keep the whole thing from being a cold joint. And you don't have nearly enough bags.
Aggietaco
AG
My math has you coming up about 20 bags short of a total 120ish.

Considering you can probably only mix 1.5 bags at a time and it take 3-4 minutes each, that's 4 hours of just mixing time at the low end.

ETA - I'd take your 8x18 area and divide it up into 4 section and pour them one at a time. Add some smooth dowels and considering this is just an equipment pad, a construction joint shouldn't bother you.
John Cocktolstoy
Aggietaco said:

My math has you coming up about 20 bags short of a total 120ish.

Considering you can probably only mix 1.5 bags at a time and it take 3-4 minutes each, that's 4 hours of just mixing time at the low end.
Trust the Mexican!
STX Ag
AG
If you intend to do the entire pour at one time, opening 105 concrete bags and pouring them into the mixer by your self is going to be damn hard, if it doesnt kill you.
JAG03
AG
Can we bring beer over and have a watch party.
John Cocktolstoy
Where you at Doc?
drummer0415
AG
That's way too much for one man at once. Either break it into multiple smaller sections or pay a crew to pour it for you
MouthBQ98
AG
So, somewhere between 4 and 4.5 TONS of concrete plus a couple of tons of water? That's going to be a long day. I'd put some divider joints and do it in quarters also. That'll help prevent stress cracks long term too.
jt2hunt
AG
Your pouring about 2 yards of concrete why not just have the truck deliver it.
Strongweasel97
AG
Cowdoc, you are crazy to try this solo. Just answering your question

That's waaaay too much all at one time when speed is key.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I would have called the ready mix plant and had a truck. You're also going to need a 2nd person to screed
ConstructionAg01
AG
TX_COWDOC said:

Am I crazy to try this by myself?

Yes, yes you are.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
get some friends (3 minimum plus you) to help and/or hire some help, rent another mixer, if you can't mix it right by the pad rent or borrow a tractor with a bucket to move the mixed cement (wheelbarrow will wreck you), mix it on the wet side, keep it wet (spray down with hose) for 24 hours after you finish pouring, and I think you will be okay. I agree with adding a joint or two but I don't have the knowledge (or interest in googling it) to know how many you need
Canyon99
Please set up your phone and record this event. Make sure to post here once complete.
SWCBonfire
AG
Serious suggestion:

If this is just a lightweight slab with little to no loads on it, wet down the ground like crazy (leave sprinkler on overnight), dump half the dry sacrete out and level, lay our the rebar, and top with wet mix that you screed with a board. Keep top moist/damp until it cures.

Cement in the mix will pull moisture out of the ground to hydrate itself. Helps if you have sandy soil. Also, does it need to be 4" thick?

MemphisAg1
AG
I did this once in my mid 30s on an area much smaller than what you outlined. Kicked my ass. What I realized as I got into it....once you start mixing and spreading concrete, you can't stop! My mixer was 50' from the pour, so I had to wheelbarrow the fresh concrete from mixer to job site.

A suggestion if you decide to go forward... partition the project into much smaller sections where you can neatly STOP if you decide you need a break. If you're ripping through it, you can always tackle the next section when you're ready, but you'd have the option to align the timing for each section with your physical readiness.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I under pinned a 12x20 shed with my father once. Raised the shed, pulled the floor, set the forms for a 4in wide wall, set the rebar. He ran the mixer and i poured. Don't recall how many bags.. maybe 1/3 of a pallet or maybe 1/2.

NEVER AGAIN!
kyledr04
AG
My dad is the type that does stuff like that himself too but at least with help. We poured a 6x6 hot tub pad, 3x24 sidewalk, and 6x14 patio. We always had 2-5 people. The patio was brutal even when my cousin and I were high school age. You're screwed.
Touchscreen
AG
Once when I was young and dumb I poured 77 bags by myself on a cool October day. Had the mixer right by the forms, but it still kicked my butt. You have to work hard pretty much non-stop for hours, and my slab was a lot smaller than yours. Trying to do an 8 x 18 by yourself is a very bad idea.

Edit: And I remember the 77 number very well because I only had 75 bags on hand and had to rush out and buy two more bags at the very end. So don't just add a safety factor to whatever number you calculate, add a hefty safety factor. It seems like it always takes more than you thought it would.
AW 1880
AG
As others have said, breaking it up into sections will make it manageable. My dad and I did a 5x10 slab several years ago. We broke it up into two 5x5 sections. You can do it by yourself, but one other person would make it a lot easier.
tamc93
AG
Assuming that there is a concrete plant within reasonable difference, the cost of having it delivered should not be too bad (especially when you add the time and/or buying food/drinks for the workers you need).

Quicker and easier to return everything.

You can still have the fun with the form work, tieing rebar, finishing, etc, but at least you will be done in a several hours.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
dr_boogs
AG
I know the OP, dude is tough as nails. Having said this, I recently did a service project with our church. Dug holes under existing shifting foundation, placed rebar, mixed quick-creete (2 palates) with a small mixer. These are to serve as bases for pump jacks to level the foundations. We had 15 dudes working on this, maybe more, and it was a ton of work.

I like the suggestions of breaking your job up into sections. Also get that mixer as close to your forms as possible. Even if that means renting a tank to have water next to the mixer. Wheelbarrowing mixed quick-crete is the suck.
southernskies
Abort! Abort! Abort!

By the time you rent the mixer and purchase quikrete you will spend the same if not more as buying 2yd truck.

Oh and you can place and finish in about 2 hours with the truck as opposed to 12 hours with the quikrete lol.

Where are you located? I can help you. (Not with quikrete though)
RO519
AG
Did you really buy a mixer? That seems like a waste when you can rent one. I don't see the need to own.

Also, you're signing up for an azz kicking. You need to have a crew of guys to do that work.
will.mcg
AG
Depending on rental period it can be cheaper to just buy it outright. Especially from HF Tools.
nonameag99
I bought a mixer for less than $100
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
schmellba99
AG
Put a CJ in the middle and break it up into 8'x9' sections. You'll be much happier that you did because you'll save yourself a lot of work and be able to determine how much you are going to be short. My guess is close to Aggietaco - you will need another 30 bag, if not more.

Make sure the mixer and water supply are close to your slab placement - ideally you'll be able to mix and dump directly in the forms and not have to waste time and effort with a wheel barrow. Hope you have a good come-along, because you'll need it. If you don't have somebody to help you screed and finish, get somebody.

Doable? Sure. But not ideal by yourself.
big ben
AG
I once tore out and repoured a neighbors sidewalk by myself mixing the concrete by hand, then I went to college so I can pay people to do s- like this. A non contractor can buy ready mix for about $125 a yard delivered to you house.
Allen76
AG
I am 64. Twice recently I have mixed 25 bags (80 lb) by myself in an electric mixer (from Northern Tool) and poured them in fence post holes (about 4 or 5 holes). I still feel okay after that but I would not do any more than that at one time without help.

When my neighbor poured a little slab all the way around his pool, he invited 3 extra guys to help and cooked steaks for lunch. That worked out really well.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Thanks for the replies thus far. I had a feeling that I was taking on too much and therefore wanted some validation before I started mixing.

I'll add more details about the project. I am in Lavaca County. On our place is a 45'x65' metal shop building. The east end of the building is closest to the well and houses the water system which consists of a 305 gallon holding tank, pressure tank, pumps, softner and filter. I am going to move the system to the exterior side of the east wall (hence the need for the slab) of the shop so that I can frame up a man cave / offfice inside the east end of the shop with 12' ceiling for my elk, Muley's etc. Upon the recommendation of our water well folks (Chandler in Yoakum) we are going to a larger holding tank to meet future water needs. This 1075 gallon tank is 84" in diameter hence the 9' dimension.

I should also point out for those checking my math on the concrete needs that the slab will sit over the existing lines running from the well to the shop. Accordingly, there is a 4'x4' block out in the 9'x18' formed area for access to the supplying piping so that it can be re-routed up into the new slab.

Once the slab is poured, Chandler will come out and move the system and get water running again (should take a day). Next I am going to get materials from Mueller to weld up light metal framing and enclose with same color metal panels. So the slab is going to carry some load.

As far as the concrete mixing goes: all of the suppliers around here have 5 yard minimums. I only need 2.5-3 yards or so. I've used some laborors out of Victoria for some other projects and have contacted them about coming to help do the mixing / finishing.

I'll post some pics as this moves along. Thanks to the OB for keeping me grounded!

tamc93
AG
I think you are on a good path, but may want to look at the slab thickness for the load of the tanks.

Also, for the 2 extra yard cost, you will probably be able to save that in labor and get a better product.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Mas89
AG
Just buy/pay the minimum. Get delivered what you need. It's just money.
Or add a wash pad to the project.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.