Outdoors
Sponsored by

281 North - SA to DFW

2,266 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TxSquarebody
poet0715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fisrt off, prayers being sent to all of the families that have been affected by the recent flooding. Hope everyone is staying safe

Our family is making the trip up to DFW for the weekend for a wedding. We were planning on taking 281 North from San Antonio instead of taking I-35.

With all of the flooding that has taken place and more rain in the forecast, is there any cause for concern with taking 281 North to Hico, then cutting over on 67?

Appreciate any input.
Ragoo
AG
Unless it is a bright sunny cool day I would never take 281 over 35.
Come Out Roll
AG
Ragoo said:

Unless it is a bright sunny cool day.....
..and you if you have an extra hour to kill just driving.....
Gunny456
AG
I travel for a living in Texas and live in central Texas. I took that exact route Monday and all was good. When going from S.A. to Ft. Worth I never travel IH-35 anymore. You can never make that trip on IH-35 without traffic delays. Two months ago it took me 1.5 hours to go from Killeen to Waco on IH 35. I avoid IH-35 whenever I have to be somewhere on time. And I make that trip every two weeks or sometimes once a week.
The new Chisom Trail loop at Cleburne makes 281 to 67 to Chisolm Trail a breeze. And not a lot of traffic typically on 281.
Ragoo
AG
Come Out Roll said:

Ragoo said:

Unless it is a bright sunny cool day.....
..and you if you have an extra hour to kill just driving.....
that is what i mean. It is a more scenic drive, so it better be a pretty day to endure the longer trip.
ABATTBQ87
AG
I stay away from I35 at all costs! of course, I live in Marble Falls and 281 to Hico to Glen Rose to Cleburne is an easy drive
AggieRob93
AG
Live in SA, grew up in Allen and folks are still there.

Don't mess with I-35 anymore unless I am traveling super early or super late, and even then, I will usually not take I-35. You will spend as much time driving and sitting in traffic on I-35 as you will driving on 281, so take the prettier and more relaxing drive - 281.

Do just have to watch for troopers and county mounties on 281 a little more than you do I-35.
Strongweasel97
AG
Just watch for deer, I've hit two head-on that streak out in front of you, daytime, nighttime, season...it doesn't matter.
ABATTBQ87
AG
for a more scenic drive take highway 6 east out of Hico and then turn left at Iradell, cross the bridge, take the first country road on the right and follow it to Walnut Springs; turn left and on to Glen Rose.
44mAG
AG
Texas Road Closures

Looks like you should have no issues.
Newoldarmy
AG
They're still working on the bridge over the Guadalupe so there will be a delay there.
bam02
AG
281 SA to DFW actually isn't much out of the way vs 35. I've done it dozens of times from SA to Plano. Even to Plano it isn't that bad. It's especially comparable if you travel with kids and have to stop a few times anyways.
88planoAg
AG
That is the only way we go. Years ago during the May floods we drove it without issue - had to stop for a tornado warning though....

I hate 35 and never ever drive that way anymore.
Chalupa Batman
AG
I drive from south of SA to Dallas about every other month and never have any trouble. Bypass Austin on 130 and make it in less than 4.5 hours
mazzag
AG
Gunny456 said:

I travel for a living in Texas and live in central Texas. I took that exact route Monday and all was good. When going from S.A. to Ft. Worth I never travel IH-35 anymore. You can never make that trip on IH-35 without traffic delays. Two months ago it took me 1.5 hours to go from Killeen to Waco on IH 35.I avoid IH-35 whenever I have to be somewhere on time. And I make that trip every two weeks or sometimes once a week.
The new Chisom Trail loop at Cleburne makes 281 to 67 to Chisolm Trail a breeze. And not a lot of traffic typically on 281.

Have you tried spring valley rd from Hewitt to moody then onto temple/belton? Why anyone that lives in the area doesn't travel this back road to and from Waco, during construction, is something I'll never understand.
91AggieLawyer
AG
281 still has patches of 2 or 3 lanes which makes passing difficult. Setting the cruise control is virtually impossible.

When they make 281 4 lane, call me. Until then, as bad as I hate I35, I'd still do that from Dallas to SA. It seems to be better on week nights.
nonameag99
Ragoo said:

Unless it is a bright sunny cool day I would never take 281 over 35.
Worst advice ever
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
OregonAggie
AG
281 has little traffic so a lot less stress. Sometimes it takes longer and sometimes it doesn't...at least you won't be sitting on the same 10 mile stretch of Highway for an hour.
Strongweasel97
AG
mazzag said:

Gunny456 said:

I travel for a living in Texas and live in central Texas. I took that exact route Monday and all was good. When going from S.A. to Ft. Worth I never travel IH-35 anymore. You can never make that trip on IH-35 without traffic delays. Two months ago it took me 1.5 hours to go from Killeen to Waco on IH 35.I avoid IH-35 whenever I have to be somewhere on time. And I make that trip every two weeks or sometimes once a week.

Have you tried spring valley rd from Hewitt to moody then onto temple/belton? Why anyone that lives in the area doesn't travel this back road to and from Waco, during construction, is something I'll never understand.

This is what I recommend. 281 was my route pre-130 toll, but now, unless you're looking for a pretty drive, 281 all the way can be a whip as well. While it's a better option than 35 on the killeen/temple/belton-Waco stretch currently, people still drive way too fast given the road condition, 4 lane/2 lane swaps, and, like I said, deer.
MikesFamousJava
AG
What we really need is a high speed rail line connecting DFW to SA, like the one planned for DFW/Houston [ducks and runs for cover].
TxSquarebody
Be sure to make a stop in Burnet, Lampasas, or Hamilton at a Storms and get a burger. Thank me later.
Floor it until you see God
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.