Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best value hunting land in Texas

7,214 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mas89
ElAmericano
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi Ags. In your opinion where the best bang for your buck area of Texas to look for hunting land? Assume the following:

- $300k max budget ( includes down payment).
- Would like a min of 30 acres (prefer 50+)
- Target species deer and turkey
- Like to keep it under a 6 hr drive from west Houston
- Land just for hunting, not worried about building a house there or ranching there or logging or minerals
- To the inevitable "just get on a lease", I already am, still looking to own my own.

Places I'm looking at now:
- Hill country - Edwards, Real counties and surrounding. 3-5k/acre
- Brazos bottom flood land, 4-7k / acre.

DriftwoodAg
AG
Harper/Junction
Ragoo
AG
Rock springs, south going north and west will be more expensive.

The land south has a lot more cedar.
tlh3842
AG
You compromise on the turkey requirement if you got with Brazos bottom land, but still not a bad area of land to own.
quanah
Aside from Hill Country, might also want to look in the Lytle/Somerset area. Also maybe check out around Sonora.

Where do you live? It helps to have your hunting ranch nearby so you can make it out there more often.

Edit- just saw you are in West Houston, might want to check out Wharton County, you'll also have pigs, geese and ducks, not sure about Turkey out there.
ElAmericano
Awesome, thanks for the replys so far.

My wife is the one who's into the turkey hunting so I wanted to keep her happy.
La Fours
AG
tlh3842 said:

You compromise on the turkey requirement if you got with Brazos bottom land, but still not a bad area of land to own.
North of Waco on the Brazos would probably have turkeys. South of there, pretty doubtful.

I would recommend looking around Brady, Coleman, Brownwood, Santa Ana, San Saba.

My mom has 40 acres of undeveloped land in Coleman County that we never go to or use. She has mentioned selling in the past.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Within your drive perimeters, you're on the right track:

- Hill country - Edwards, Real counties and surrounding.

An added bonus to this is free range exotics.
Gig 'em! '90
FSGuide
Six hours west of Houston you could do Sonora or Ozona. You can find for about $1000 acre there. You will have O&G stuff on it, but its land to hunt. I sometimes hunt on my buddies place that is south of Ozona. 300 acres that they got for $287k. Had a few improvements on it at purchase: a water well with electric pump (it was converted from a windmill) and electricity and a decent size shed and a pole barn on it. Also has a 30,000 gallon concrete reservoir that is fed by the pump and it in turn gravity feeds some livestock/wildlife troughs on part of the property. Lots of turkey and deer. Javelina and hogs too.
scottimus
AG
At that price I would look at South Texas costal area.

Maybe not as much deer but you could replace that with Nilgai. Then you have duck hunting and fishing added.
phorizt
Not texas but the Atoka orAntlers OK area have great hunting and much better bang for your buck than much of texas. Would be under 6 hours from Houston.
skelly02
AG
From west Houston to Coleman is 5-6 hours. Definitely land out there for 1-3K/acre. Deer and turkeys can be good. Coleman is a cool place
AnScAggie
AG
Ok Check the area between Del Rio/Eagle Pass/Rocksprings. You should be able to get what you are looking for.
ursusguy
AG
Long way from Houston, but the Throckmorton area is growing on me.
FirefightAg
AG
Del Rio headed towards Junction we hunted there for 10 years back around 2000 plenty of land listed then for 800 an acre wish I had money and wasnt in HS.

As Urs said, my favorite area is around Graham as New Castle
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
NE Texas would be a good place to look.
mpl35
AG
ursusguy said:

Long way from Houston, but the Throckmorton area is growing on me.

Shut up and stay away.
TAMUallen
AG
Look west of Junction out to Ozona
ABATTBQ87
AG
I had 25 acres in San Marcos that I purchased for $140000 back in 2004.

Lots of deer, hogs, Turkey, etc.

Sold it in 2015
agfan2013
AG
My first general thought is when you do find multiple places to consider, go with the closer option to your home. If you have two similar places but one is 2.5 hours away and the other is 5.5, you won't go the farther away place nearly as often. You'll talk yourself out of going out there some weekends just because of the hassle of it being at the far end of your acceptable range.

That being said, I guess I'm about to contradict myself as I hunt family land in eastern Burleson county and when I think deer and turkey hunting, I certainly don't think Brazos or Burleson County. Sure we have deer if you are looking to just fill a freezer with meat, but don't expect many 150+ type if you are trophy hunting. And I don't think either counties even have a legal turkey season. So even though Brazos bottom land is relatively close for y'all in houston, I'd look somewhere else.

Not to mention, if it's good river bottom land that could be farmed or ranched, nobody would be selling it. These Italians are super protective of good land around here so if anything close to the river is being sold, it's probably not great land, otherwise it wouldn't be on the market.
Gunner0740
We've hunted in rock springs for almost 10 years. Deer, turkeys, pigs, axis are all out there and easy to find. Beautiful part of Texas, but a long drive. Land out there is not super expensive. Every year the town hosts an opening weekend hunters' dinner.
fairviewcrew
I would look in south Texas, Freer/San Diego/George West... and it's only 3.5-4 hrs

If you look hard enough you can find undeveloped for $2000-3000k/acre

Great deer country and there are some turkeys as well
plowboy1065
S
Www.andrusfarmandranch.com
Ornlu
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Sold it in 2015

Why sell it?
Build It
AG
Oklahoma,

Texas is too expensive.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Ornlu said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Sold it in 2015

Why sell it?
Wife works in Johnson City and was tired of driving 2 hours a day; so when our son graduated HS in 2015 we sold and relocated to Marble Falls.

When I win the lottery tonight I'll be buying more property!
water turkey
Southern Oklahoma.
Animal
AG
7 hours and you're in Childress. Great bang for your buck...
agneck
You will never be happy with 300 acres in a ranch subdivision unless you just like camping out and drinking beer Rock springs Tx is the worst
SanAntoneAg
AG
agneck said:

You will never be happy with 300 acres in a ranch subdivision unless you just like camping out and drinking beer Rock springs Tx is the worst

I'm happy with 30 acres in a ranch subdivision near Rocksprings. Granted, I have realistic expectations and know I'm not shooting a 130 every year. But I have no problem with getting a deer and pig or three in my freezer. That axis on my wall with 32.5"/34.5" main beams came off our postage stamp sized lot.

And, the place is mine.

What do you base your assessment on?
Gig 'em! '90
Daddy-O5
AG
Am I the only one who thought he was clearly being sarcastic?
nealan
Oklahoma has a 2 week rifle season. Better buy a bow!
SanAntoneAg
AG
This being the OB it makes it difficult to make assumptions.

Then again, maybe I'm wound up too tight.
Gig 'em! '90
Mas89
AG
Hill country rocks>bottom land mud and mosquitoes.
For deer and turkey, don't overlook northern hill country-Llano,Mason,lampassas, Junction areas.
Focus on rural fm frontage with no easements thru the property for other tracts. Avoid county road with other people's ranch gates to access your property. Never again. Neighbors can be goofy.
A property with river frontage would be idea. It does exist just don't limit your search area too small.
Go see Castell - Mason- Llano area if you have not looked in that area yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.