Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shingpes

4,423 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ag0207
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Title should read SHINGLES.

I had what I assumed was a spider bite or other insect on my lower back. Lots of muscle pain on my hip and buttock for the better part of a week. Went in and I apparently have mild shingles.

Didn't have any other areas, but this afternoon I started getting itchy bumps on my legs. Not sure if they're chiggers from dove hunting yesterday or new shingles spots.

I have a feeling this could suck.
BrazosBull
AG
T&P for you. Been there and it is some painful stuff. Hang in there and get better
ag0207
AG
More than likely not shingles if you have it on the back and both legs. Shingles should normally involve a single dermatome & not cross the midline (should be on one side of your body).

You could have shingles on the back and something else on the legs. If your back is shingles I hope you were started on valacyclovir.
SteveBott
AG
Wouldn't wish shingles on my worst enemy. Good luck
Bregxit
AG
Have had it twice.

Once along a nerve from my shoulder blade, over my shoulder, down my arm and ending at my index fingertip.

The other right along my hairline.

Both were terribad experiences. Get on Valtrex asap and good luck.
rather be fishing
AG
I'm keeping an eye on the leg stuff and hoping it's just chiggers. Started a prescription for methylprednisolone today. The muscle pain is certainly not comfortable.
ag0207
AG
No antiviral medication only a steroid?
BCO07
AG
ag0207 said:

This. I don't know your medical history, but there are few reasons not to be on an antiviral if you have shingles. Call your doc.
BCO07
AG
rather be fishing said:

I had what I assumed was a spider bite or other insect on my lower back. Lots of muscle pain on my hip and buttock for the better part of a week. Went in and I apparently have mild shingles.

Didn't have any other areas, but this afternoon I started getting itchy bumps on my legs. Not sure if they're chiggers from dove hunting yesterday or new shingles spots.

Also, unless you either saw the spider, have a clear systemic reaction, or have an area of necrosis it's very unlikely to be a spider bite. Almost every time somebody has brought me a spider bite it's been a staph infection
Ol_Ag_02
AG
rather be fishing said:

Had shingles for five weeks. For about three of those weeks I spent most days at work stoned on opioids, and most evenings high as a kite with more opioids. Better than the pain.

CharlieBrown17
AG
I had shingles for the first/only so far time my senior year, did a real bad job balancing sleep, school, corps games and bonfire (stack season) and was getting like 2.5 hours of sleep at most. Apparently stress can be a trigger.

Actually wasn't bad pain wise but the oozing/general discomfort from that drove me up a wall.
SteveBott
AG
Both my moms had on either their back or side. Both said the biggest issue was sleeping and rolling over and the pain woke them up. Weeks without good sleep is awful. I know I had the same with a neck issue.
Silky Johnston
You were raised by lesbos?
SteveBott
AG
I knew this would be posted. I should of gone to Vegas before posting.
SteveBott
AG
I have a blood mom and a step mom. I consider my stepmom as a mother. She has been a huge part of my life since I was 13. I'm 58.
CharlieBrown17
AG
SteveBott said:

I have a blood mom and a step mom. I consider my stepmom as a mother. She has been a huge part of my life since I was 13. I'm 58.

Lolold
FIDO 96
AG
I've had them 3 times. First was during FOW (as a P-Head). Left upper leg/torso. Then again shortly after my first was born. On my right chest /abdomen. Then again on my right temple / hairline during 2009 housing collapse. Each time seemed to be during periods of long days, little sleep and crappy diet. Seems like when my immune system is taxed, it can flourish.

Still have scars from the first episode on my thigh. The last tine was worst than the second time. Pain the 2nd week seems to be the worst.
SteveBott
AG
Hey flyboy I'll sic your mom on your a$$. I can cause some Trouble.
Mowdy Ag
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

I had shingles for the first/only so far time my senior year, did a real bad job balancing sleep, school, corps games and bonfire (stack season) and was getting like 2.5 hours of sleep at most. Apparently stress can be a trigger.

Actually wasn't bad pain wise but the oozing/general discomfort from that drove me up a wall.

Same here - was at the first summer session at A&M between Jr & Sr years. ...thought I had gotten into some poison ivy /oak. Went to the quack shack and the doc told me it was shingles. I was almost 21. Freaked me out because I thought it was an oldster disease - not. Anyway, doc gave me a B12 shot (useless) and sent me on my way. Sitting in class and dealing with summer heat when outside were miserable. I agree - think stress was a contributor too.
DallasAggies01
AG
If that many of y'all have had shingles at young age why is the vaccine only available for 50+?

Maybe one the docs can chime in.
JYDog90
AG
And is the vaccine effective? I've heard it's expensive.
Caladan
DallasAggies01 said:

If that many of y'all have had shingles at young age why is the vaccine only available for 50+?

It's not that the vaccine is "only available for 50+" -- it's just that it is FDA approved for 50+. This doesn't mean that an adult under 50 can't get it. You just need to find a medical provider who is willing to give the shot to you. Medications of all types are often used for purposes not approved by the FDA. This is called "off-label" use. Keep in mind that insurance companies will use FDA approval as an excuse to not pay for something, so your insurance is not likely to pay for the injection if you are under 50.
Caladan
willie wonka said:

And is the vaccine effective? I've heard it's expensive.
The new vaccine has tested much more effective than the old one. I don't remember the actual numbers, but I'm sure they can be found on the internet.

Just keep in mind that vaccines are not 100% effective.
DallasAggies01
AG
Caladan said:

DallasAggies01 said:

It's not that the vaccine is "only available for 50+" -- it's just that it is FDA approved for 50+. This doesn't mean that an adult under 50 can't get it. You just need to find a medical provider who is willing to give the shot to you. Medications of all types are often used for purposes not approved by the FDA. This is called "off-label" use. Keep in mind that insurance companies will use FDA approval as an excuse to not pay for something, so your insurance is not likely to pay for the injection if you are under 50.
Got you thanks!
rather be fishing
AG
ag0207 said:

I explained to the pharmacist what was going on and he had the same question. He put a request into the doctor for one and said he would be in touch if it got approved.
Pro Sandy
AG
Had it first when I was 15, left forehead. Second time when I was 30, on my back. It sucks. My grandma has had it about 4 or 5 times. One time it got in her eye, she ended up having to have a cornea transplant from the damaged caused.

Wish the vaccine was approved for us youngins.
Bregxit
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

According to my doc, it is good once (no boosters) and lasts for about 20 years. It is better for younguns to just fight it off since our bodies are able to. Shingles can kill old folks so it is better to have the vaccine active during advanced age.
reddog90
AG
rather be fishing said:

I just got over shingles (or HSV-1?). Dermatologist said there's no reliable way to tell them apart and prescribed valtrex for a week. I also only had a small spot and no severe pain.Very mild itching a a few minutes of slight burning feeling one day before I got the meds.
ag0207
AG
The reason shingles can be so painful is actually the immune reaction to shingles. Younger individuals typically have a better immune system so they are less likely to get shingles but when they do it is typically more severe. As we age our immune system tends to be less effective and therefore older patients are at higher risk for shingles.
Gunny456
AG
I have had Shingles three times in my life. First time I was in high school. Then twice since I turned 50. Valtrex is what you should be on if it is Shingles. Very painful and can be dangerous if around eyes. I would not wish it on my worst enemy, I take the vaccine now.
Should normally effect a nerve path on one side of the body at a time. It comes from dormant chicken pox virus. So if you have had chicken pox I have been told you can get shingles.
rather be fishing
AG
I will undoubtedly say this steroid is killing my ability to go to sleep. I'm also about 80% sure most of the stuff on my legs is chiggers, but there's a few places on the same side as the original spot that do not look like chigger bites. Small inflamed bumps that look like white heads and don't itch, but mild muscle pain extending down my leg. Basically nothing other than a couple itchy bumps on the other leg.

I'm not sure if neurosis is a symptom of shingles, but it sure is a symptom of thinking you have shingles.
dubi
AG
I'm 54 and have already had the shingles vaccine twice. It does NOT last 20 years; in my case it lasted 7 and I started eating Acyclovir to prevent a relapse.

My Dr wrote a script for a 2nd vaccine and I'm doing great again. Your Dr might have to let the insurance company know you have already had a case of shingles to get the vaccine under the age of 50.

It is covered by major medical (BCBS for me), not by my prescription provider. It is also free under the Obamacare "free vaccine " clause.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I'm not sure if neurosis is a symptom of shingles, but it sure is a symptom of thinking you have shingles.
Neurosis would be a symptom of steroids and not sleeping.
dubi
AG
CDC info on Shingles

NOTE 5 YEAR DURATION FOR VACCINE!

Quote:

People 60 years of age or older should get shingles vaccine (Zostavax). They should get the vaccine whether or not they recall having had chickenpox, which is caused by the same virus as shingles. Studies show that more than 99% of Americans aged 40 and older have had chickenpox, even if they don't remember getting the disease. There is no maximum age for getting shingles vaccine.

Even if you have had shingles, you can still receive shingles vaccine to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific length of time you must wait after having shingles before receiving shingles vaccine, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has disappeared before getting vaccinated. The decision on when to get vaccinated should be made with your healthcare provider.
Zostavax is approved by the Food and Drug Administration[url=https://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html][/url] for people aged 50 years and older.

However, CDC does not have a recommendation for routine use of Zostavax in people 50 through 59 years old. Protection from this shingles vaccine lasts about 5 years, so adults vaccinated before they are 60 years old might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest. Adults 50 through 59 years who have questions about shingles vaccine should discuss the risks and benefits with a healthcare provider.

Talk with your healthcare provider if you have questions about shingles vaccine. Shingles vaccine is available in doctor's offices and pharmacies. To find doctor's offices or pharmacies near you that offer the vaccine, visit Zostavax[url=https://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html][/url] or HealthMap Vaccine Finder[url=https://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html][/url].
insulator_king
AG
VA has Shingrix, I'll be getting it this year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.