Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dad's final elk hunt (kind of long story)

2,350 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PFG
Caddis Black Angus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At 73 years old, my dad isn't getting around like he used to. A catastrophic fall from the top of his barn and landing head first on a tractor changed his life 5 years ago. He doesn't have good balance when upright and has a slight shuffle of the feet when walking.
Last year I booked 2 spots for another elk hunt in unit 37 of New Mexico. I wanted Dad to make the trip but didn't think he could actually get around the ranch good enough to hunt. My buddy who owns the ranch talked me into bringing Dad as a hunter and said they could get him close enough for a shot. He made my mind up for me so Dad came along as a hunter versus a spectator.
I wanted Dad to get a bull and his bull was my
main focus. On the first morning there were no opportunities presented so later in the day we went up on top of a mountain to scope elk for the evening. Within 10 minutes we found a bull on the East side of the ranch. Look to the left of center on the image below. That's where we spotted the bull

After a little encouragement, Dad and my buddy's son in-law head down the mountain to stalk the bull. I got to watch them through a spotting scope as the events happened.
First they drove a UTV down the mountain before going on foot. I thought I was going to die of old age before they got anywhere near the bull. Light was started to fade as they made their way for a shot.
Finally after what seemed like eternity, I can see my dad putting his rifle on the shooting sticks from 1.5 miles away through a spotting scope. I then turned my attention to the bull.
BOOM! The bull didn't move. Dang it he missed!! BOOM........report boom. That was a hit! I watched the bull closely as he slowly moved east very stiff legged. It was almost dark and the bull disappeared into trees but I couldn't tell where the shot hit him.
The decision was made to pull out and not push the bull that evening. We would search for him in the morning.
After the longest night in history, we went out to search for the bull. I found blood immediately where the bull was standing so the tracking began. Within 5 minutes, we located Dad's bull 150 yards from where he was shot. It was a pretty emotional few minutes after finding his trophy.

I am so proud my Dad was able to pull off an elk hunt given his current situation. I never dreamed he would close the deal on the first evening while hunting. These are the moments in life which create memories for a lifetime.
Our New Mexico hunting license was only good for 5 days. I had 3.5 days to get a bull and make this a trip of a lifetime. A lot of close calls and almosts happened for 2 days straight. Friday was the last day for me to make something happen.
We spotted a good bull early from a mile away and began the trek up the valley to get him. We were almost to the pasture where the bull was last seen as a cow busted us. She didn't bark but stared us down forever through a narrow alley between us and the pasture.
The cow finally walked away undisturbed. We ranged where she was standing and it was 266 yards. Through the same alley to the pasture, I see the bull entering from the left. I had less than 2 seconds to decide shooter or not and pull the trigger before he was across the alley and back in the woods.
BOOM!! Neck shot, bull down!

What an unbelievable trip. We ended up with 2 incedible bulls. Both Dad and I are so thankful the week went the way it did. I thank God every day for the time we get spend together.
We hunted a private free range ranch in Unit 37. It's located just outside of Lincoln, New Mexico.
TwoMarksHand
SanAntoneAg
JB12
Gunny456
AG
ag -hunt.................I great story for sure. I will say that I am a Christian and believe in our Lord and that he created all. I also feel that he plays a large part in our lives and what happens in them. He blessed you and your dad with this hunt as I am sure both of you earned it.
I lost my dad in 1994 and our last hunt was in New Mexico for Mule Deer. Sadly dad was not successful as weather turned really bad and he just could not physically stay out in such bad conditions. However I can remember every detail of that hunt, conversations, words, sights, etc.
You should be proud that you did this for your dad and then being able to harvest such a great animal on top of just getting him to go and being able to experience this with him. Memories that will last a lifetime and then some.
You did good Ag.....you did good!
highvelocity
AG
congrats again man! looking forward to some steaks the next time i see you
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Caddis Black Angus
AG
Gunny, I fully believe the good Lord was riding shotgun with us the entire time. Thanks for your kind words.
Caddis Black Angus
AG
You are correct, that is Capitan mountain you are seeing. It's a hell of a hike to climb.
Gunny456
AG
You are welcome sir. What a hunt.
NW80
AG
Very well done!!!
Resquell92
AG
Congrats and amazing story! My dad passed 19 years ago next week. Although we did hunt together in the hill country, we never had the opportunity to enjoy a trip like this. Truly a blessing!
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Well done, sir!
austinrb10
AG
I'm really glad you shared your story. My dad has neuropathy in his legs (shuffles like ET) and other complications. I have wanted to take him on a guided fishing trip for a last hoorah, but allow his concerns/excuses to dictate. Now I'm going to invest more time and prepare a trip. Best to you and your dad!
KatyAg01
AG
Great ending to a great story!
MAROON
AG
Great story. You and your Dad are going to be eating a lot of elk for the next year!
BlueMiles
AG
Thanks for sharing this story. Miss my Dad.
Tugboat05
AG
Good bull.
DallasAggies01
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You'll both remember that hunt for the rest of your lives! What an incredible adventure.

Lucky with your shot placement
/team shoulder shot
Caddis Black Angus
AG
Thanks gentlemen!
dr_boogs
AG
Now that, my friend, is how you TexAgs. Well done. Outstanding!
txaggie02
AG
Awesome hunt and story! Congrats to you both!
DB Coach
AG
Outstanding way to honor your dad!
ENG
AG
Great report, made my day
Texmid
AG
Awesome story. Those are nice bulls. Cherish the memory of that trip. Thank you for sharing.
PFG
AG
Very cool. Beautiful bulls.

Mind me asking what ranch/outfit you booked through? Always looking for a good people to book a hunt with.

No need to say if its a private/guest arrangement.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.