Outdoors
Sponsored by

Optics question

2,217 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by EFE
FirefightAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would this be a good value option to top a Ruger 6.5 Creed

BCStalk
I have Vortex on everything from rifles to handguns. I am pretty satisfied with their Viper line. I have their Diamondback on a Ruger Predator 6.5 and it's plenty good enough for the hunting we do.
robstrom
AG
I have vortex optics on an AR and on my rifle. Both are great scopes for the price.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Have that scope on an AR. Will most likely be going to a lower mag/higher quality scope soon.

It's not bad but dark and I realized even for 6-700 yards I don't need 20x
FirefightAg
AG
Didn't get that one due to the mention of low clarity at low light

Is this one any better I can get it for $499.

Viper HS-T 4-16x44 Riflescope

Is there a better $400-$500 option any brand.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Riton 6-24x50 is my favorite scope for mid to long range in that price area. Texags price on it is $450. Japanese glass vs Filipino on the vortex. There is a 4-16, but it's only moderately cheaper and missing a few of the upgrades
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Log
AG
Check out this:

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scopes/rifle-scopes/diamondback-tactical-4-16x44mm-ffp-rifle-scope-prod122620.aspx

I threw one on my AR-10ish build, and it's been good so far. Haven't had a chance to put it through the ringer yet, but Vortex is several generations/iterations into their tactical lines, so odds are they've got the bugs worked out. Clarity in full light was on par with my 4-16 PST.
BobCatDave
AG
Wise sage at McBrides in Austin once told me "you can't shoot what you can't see". Money spent on optics likely more important than money spent on gun. Have Swarovski on deer rifle, Zeiss on AR, Leopold on my rimfire. I can see what I shoot.
"I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else." - Winston Churchill
jpistolero02
I had a Vortex HST that I ended up selling. I wasn't that impressed with the clarity. I know it wasn't super expensive, but I was expecting more. I have a Sightron in the same price range that looks much better to my eye.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
jpistolero02 said:

I had a Vortex HST that I ended up selling. I wasn't that impressed with the clarity. I know it wasn't super expensive, but I was expecting more. I have a Sightron in the same price range that looks much better to my eye.

Sightron is good stuff. I think the name is off-putting to some people because it sounds kind of cheesy but they have some really good Scopes
jpistolero02
I agree it does sound cheesy. The turrets also need a little work with the Sightron. Vortex has much better feel and positive adjustments.
FirefightAg
AG
Ok so I'm just as lost as when I started. I'm s bird Hunter that shoots deer when given the opportunity. I grew up hunting South Texas sage brush with a circa 1960s buris 4x scope that my dad refused to upgrade. I have a few ARs but not my own deer rifles. I have borrowed my uncle's Ruger 77 6mm with some Leupold scope but I wasn't overly impressed. I've always heard great things about Vortex. Trying to put together a quality 300 yrd deer/goat/elk gun and I really like the 6.5 but not sure what scope to go with. I googled the scope eye guy mentioned as seems quality and not to undermine you I trust what you say and you have a lot of respect on this board but I think they had the same one you mentioned for $409. Might just have to go the trial by fire R $400-$500 each method
Post removed:
by user
stdeb11
AG
I picked up a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 a few weeks ago. Not sure if the sale is still going on, but was able to snag an "out of box demo" with a coupon for $330 via optics planet. Been really impressed with it so far.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
FirefightAg said:

Ok so I'm just as lost as when I started. I'm s bird Hunter that shoots deer when given the opportunity. I grew up hunting South Texas sage brush with a circa 1960s buris 4x scope that my dad refused to upgrade. I have a few ARs but not my own deer rifles. I have borrowed my uncle's Ruger 77 6mm with some Leupold scope but I wasn't overly impressed. I've always heard great things about Vortex. Trying to put together a quality 300 yrd deer/goat/elk gun and I really like the 6.5 but not sure what scope to go with. I googled the scope eye guy mentioned as seems quality and not to undermine you I trust what you say and you have a lot of respect on this board but I think they had the same one you mentioned for $409. Might just have to go the trial by fire R $400-$500 each method

There are two 6-24x riton Scopes. The one I mentioned is the more expensive of the two. Make sure you are comparing the right ones because the other one is good but still a lesser scope
EFE
AG
Have the DB Tactical in 6-24. I like it quite a bit for what it is. At it's price point, I will likely swap a few more of my scopes out to it or the 4-16 model so I've got consistent reticles in all my guns. And if you're only an occasional shooter, I bet it's plenty. If you've got a local shop that will work with you on price, you can likely get it well under MSRP.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.