Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rattlesnakes around the house - kill or don't kill

6,173 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag 11
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sorry if this is something that's been beaten to death around here as I'm sure it has. But do you guys kill rattlesnakes around the house or leave them be?

I live in a starter home type neighborhood where the houses are slammed up against each other and I killed my 3rd baby rattlesnake tonight. 1 last year and 2 this year. North San Antonio.

Out in the wild I leave them be and enjoy the chance to see one and be on my way.

But if I leave a rattlesnake alone in my driveway, will he stay here and I always have to be worried about him, or will he keep moving on and I'll probably never see him again?

I feel bad killing the little guys.
BreNayPop
AG
I wish i could leave them alone,but they cant stay near kids and family.

Relocation would be cool if you are a herper or comfortable u can safely do it. Im not, so they die.
schmellba99
AG
Around the house? They die, and I dont care what the PETA snake board thinks.

Then i figure out why they are there and kill that too.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
schmellba99 said:

That's pretty damn funny!

I don't blame you but the problem isn't likely to go away anytime soon. They're there for a food source or for another reason. Until that reason is taken away, be on high alert.
Arthur Stilwell
Snake antivenom is pretty expensive and that damn snake ain't gonna help you pay your hospital bill.
agsalaska
AG
Kill
Drip99
AG
Killed one a few years ago but if I had to do over I would just relocate it. It was very docile and basically sat there while I killed it with zero attempt at defense.
Gunny456
AG
lotso......I respect your honesty and your respect for Gods creatures. I grew up in the hill country and live on our ranch in the HC now. Rattlers can be very dangerous as I am sure you know. I have seen what a bite can do to a human, dog, deer, cattle and horse. I know they are doing what is natural and are defending themselves, however I have also witnessed them not retreating and deliberately attacking even given space to escape.
They are competitive to a lot of "good snakes" that are not dangerous to humans or pets or livestock.
Where I live they are quite common but very dangerous if they have habitat on the same ground as your children, pets, wife or you.
I would rather have the non lethal, non poisonous snakes in my yard or around my home.
I lost a dear childhood friend due to being bit by a western diamondback while he was playing in his backyard.
He died of cardiac arrest and was just 11 years old.
I am a believer that all creatures have a place and reason for being...................however I know I can not cause them to go extinct on my ranch....................so I have sent many to snake heaven to protect myself, family or livestock. That's just my opinion.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I'm a snake hugger but rattlers near the deer camp cabin and, if I found one near the house, get the shovel behind the head and their skins go into the deep freezer.
Gig 'em! '90
CSTXAg92
AG
Rattlesnake? Kill. Copperhead? Kill. Moccasin? Kill. Grass snake? Let live. Chicken snake? Let live.

Mamba? Definitely kill.
Gunny456
AG
To further support what ttha said which is so correct........if they are hanging around they have a reason and that reason is to eat something..............be it birds, mice, rats, frogs, rabbits etc. Eliminate the food source and you eliminate them.
Landowners in our area have been recently discussing the "predator contest" killing so many foxes which have now caused lots of mice and rats in the pastures which is now causing lots of rattlesnakes.to show up. They go where the food is.
lotsofhp
AG
JesusQuintana said:

Killed one a few years ago but if I had to do over I would just relocate it. It was very docile and basically sat there while I killed it with zero attempt at defense.

Same with these little guys. They just sat there looking at me while I got the shovel. Very docile and never even curled up.

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured the consensus would be to kill them around the house. Too risky.
SteveBott
AG
I'm a BIG snake guy. I helped 12f start the snake thread.

All venomous snakes in suburban setting needs to be killed. Just too many bad outcomes to pets and kids.

Not worth the risk.
mazzag
AG
We live on 6 acres outside the city limits but not really in the country. Not long after we built, my 4yr old daughter, at the time, walked past a sleeping rattle snake. She was following her 2 older brothers down to the creek. She told me about it and I took our atv to find it. Of course my husband killed it and we haven't seen one since in 10+ years but I kinda wish we had relocated it.
1/2 a mile from our house there used to be a snake petting zoo, like 30 yrs ago. Rumor is when they shut down they released all the snakes. We used to see lots of coral snakes, that we ignored, but haven't seen one in years. Plenty of rat and garter snakes. Thankfully.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Kill em
Coworker here in SA got bit walking his dog

35 anti venom shots
Dude lost all body hair and aged a good 10 years

Kill em

Burnsey
AG
I'd kill it and wouldn't think twice about it. Diamondback rattlesnakes and humans aren't meant to live around each other.
rather be fishing
AG
If it's too the point where they have set up shop around your house, you probably have a good food source around and your house was probably built in an area where they wereb already there. If you're seeing them around a lot, I'd probably keep killing. There's no reason to take a chance on any person or pet getting tagged by one.

Such is life in the Hill Country burbs.
lotsofhp
AG
Well, I killed on at my house this year, one last year (it may have even been the year before). The third one was actually at my cousins house who lives in a different part of the neighborhood. So I wouldn't say they're out of control or anything.

Would an outdoor cat be a good idea?
FrontPorchAg
Kill. Let nonvenomous snakes fill its spot in the food chain.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
tamc93
AG
Kill...identify later.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
AggieChemist
AG
Kill and eat. Might as well make use of it.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Killed 2 last night. Doesnt bother me one bit.
ratfacemcdougal
"Would an outdoor cat be a good idea?"

NOT NO BUT HELL NO!!!!! Cats are to be kept inside. EOT
MouthBQ98
AG
I will capture and relocate if it can be done safely but in a suburban area relocation may not be feasible. If I can't do both I will kill a venomous snake.
country
AG
I can't comprehend how this is a question. To each his own I suppose. Once someone sees what a bite does, I can't imagine wanting to risk it getting a hold of your kids.
cledus6150
AG
I dispatch almost all venomous snakes around my house, the only exception is coral snakes which I typically only see one or two of a year. They are picked up (via shovel or hook and tongs) placed in a bucket and moved to the gully at the back of the house. Unless it is a particularly foul mood coral in which case his head becomes departed. All non-venomous snakes get a pass. Out at the ranch the only snakes that die are the ones in a foul mood and that refuse to take the avenue of escape.
cledus6150
AG
Cats serve one purpose in my mind and that is as an outside animal typically around a barn, with the primary use of catchin/killing rodents and snakes. I am also of the opinion that outside is for the animals and inside is for humans, extreme weather swings its allowable to let a pet in if its a dog no cats inside period.
88planoAg
AG
When a snake thread becomes a cat thread.
hillcountryag86
AG
Around the house? I wouldn't waste a second deciding whether to relocate. Kill it. For any slight good the rattler might give eating rats and mice, that can be filled by non venemous snakes.

I've had two friends bitten within the last year. Both were horrific stories of what they went through. Pure stupidity to leave or deal with a rattlesnake, especially if your kids may get bitten.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think it's also worth noting that you're much more likely to get bit messing with one and trying to kill it, than you are leaving it alone.

I'm not arguing not to kill one... I have two kids and would do the same in a heartbeat. Have a plan and don't try and do anything stupid. would recommend having access to a long shovel, stick, or anything that keeps you out of harms way.

I would also encourage staying the hell away from the head after you kill it. A lot of bites come from people showing off their trophy and getting too close to the head.
aTm2004
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

"Would an outdoor cat be a good idea?"

NOT NO BUT HELL NO!!!!! Cats are to be kept inside. EOT
Huh? My dad used to kill a copperhead almost weekly when mowing the yard when I was younger. He went out and got a cat to keep outside and the snakes went away. That cat would kill mice, birds, and even the snakes that would occasionally come into the yard (3 acres). He'd feed it about a cup per day, and anything beyond that was on the cat. When the cat died about 10 years later, the snakes came back.
Tumble Weed
NM, can't post pics .............
BuddysBud
AG
Did a fox end up getting the cat?

Asking for a friend
schmellba99
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

schmellba99 said:

That's pretty damn funny!

I don't blame you but the problem isn't likely to go away anytime soon. They're there for a food source or for another reason. Until that reason is taken away, be on high alert.

Read the last line i wrote.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I did.... my response in bold was to you. The second part was to the OP. It's not just a food source that can be the issue, which is what I stated.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.