Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rattlesnakes around the house - kill or don't kill

6,171 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ag 11
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cledus6150 said:

Cats serve one purpose in my mind and that is as an outside animal typically around a barn, with the primary use of catchin/killing rodents and snakes. I am also of the opinion that outside is for the animals and inside is for humans, extreme weather swings its allowable to let a pet in if its a dog no cats inside period.

My cat lives inside and goes out a few times a day. Most of the time she is lazy as hell, but she is definitely a killer. She's killed mice, birds (which we don't want), and at least one rat that we know of. We feed her all she wants, but that doesn't stop her from hunting and killing rodents and pests.

A couple years ago we were renting a duplex that was 10' from the one next to it. There was a retaining wall in between, and we kept our trash cans up against it where it made a corner with the fence. My wife was cleaning on a fall day and had left the sliding door open so our dog and cat could come in and out as they wanted. She heard the neighbor tell his daughter to get off the fence, and she replied, "But this cat just killed a giant rat!" My wife was like, "WTF? What cat?" Sure enough, our cat walked in a second later. My wife went out and looked behind the trash cans and there was a giant dead rat. The cat just snapped its neck and left it.

As far as I'm concerned, she's earned her spot indoors and continues to do so. I'm also a little concerned the murderous little tramp would kill me if I kicked her outside...
ursusguy
AG
I relocate, but they don't overly bother me. The 4 I found inside my office were relocated outdoors nearby.

And yes, I am well aware of the what they can do.
aTm2004
AG
BuddysBud said:

Did a fox end up getting the cat?

Asking for a friend
Father Time.
mwm
Little snakes tend to grow up & become big snakes. Kill.
LEJ

I tied this one to a tree so I can keep tabs on his progress.
The Collective
AG
Get a honey badger as a pet.
alabamaaggie12
AG
Just curious, why do coral snakes not get an automatic death sentence as well? Ever since I was a kid, the old saying "red and yellow, kills a fellow" sounded ominous enough for me to include them on the kill first, ask questions later list.
88planoAg
AG
alabamaaggie12 said:

Just curious, why do coral snakes not get an automatic death sentence as well? Ever since I was a kid, the old saying "red and yellow, kills a fellow" sounded ominous enough for me to include them on the kill first, ask questions later list.
What I've heard it that 1) they are shy, 2) they run away, and 3) they have to chew on you to do you any harm.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
88planoAg said:

alabamaaggie12 said:

What I've heard it that 1) they are shy, 2) they run away, and 3) they have to chew on you to do you any harm.

All but bold is true... I guess they technically don't "run" away either but you're correct. The odds of being bit by a Coral Snake are insanely low.

Another poster on here has a funny story about their friend getting bit by one. He was handling it for over 2-3 minutes before he was finally struck. They don't want anything to do with people, kids, or pets.
alabamaaggie12
Ag 11
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.