Outdoors
Sponsored by

Kayaking!

5,587 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TThom
AggieArchitect04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went on a solo expedition this past Saturday.

Previously did Bergheim down to the GRSP (~ 8 miles).
This time put in at GRSP and paddled down to Rebecca Creek Road (over 14 miles).
Somewhere in the ballpark of 24 miles on the upper Guadalupe.

And there's more to come...

This run was probably the biggest test I've had to date and one of the most fun. Multiple (what I would guess) class II+ rapids. No dams on this run although there is a low water crossing from what looked like a private ranch road about 2 1/4 miles down from the put-in; looked like it could have a decent hydraulic. I was on at a higher flow so I made it through with no portage. I made it down unscathed until the tail end of the trip where I encountered Rust Falls just upriver from the crossing at Rebecca Creed Road. This area of the river is littered with tree islands and boulders featuring an abrupt 2-3 foot drop on the right side. It was definitely the most challenging part of the trip and came at a bad time. This was at dusk and I was struggling to read the river. Supposed to go right in most cases I think, but left is an option in higher flows. Also at higher flows the center line can venture into Class III- territory and you can find yourself dodging roots and rocks. That's what I did. I hit a submerged root and it began to push me sideways. While trying to recover and straighten out I spilled. I have a good size bruise on my thigh and a scraped shin. Aside from that nothing serious.

Racer X
AG
Damn, I wish I had seen your post earlier. I played a crappy round of golf and watched a crappy football game instead.
SquirrellyDan
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

I went on a solo expedition this past Saturday.

Previously did Bergheim down to the GRSP (~ 8 miles).
This time put in at GRSP and paddled down to Rebecca Creek Road (over 14 miles).
Somewhere in the ballpark of 24 miles on the upper Guadalupe.

And there's more to come...

This run was probably the biggest test I've had to date and one of the most fun. Multiple (what I would guess) class II+ rapids. No dams on this run although there is a low water crossing from what looked like a private ranch road about 2 1/4 miles down from the put-in; looked like it could have a decent hydraulic. I was on at a higher flow so I made it through with no portage. I made it down unscathed until the tail end of the trip where I encountered Rust Falls just upriver from the crossing at Rebecca Creed Road. This area of the river is littered with tree islands and boulders featuring an abrupt 2-3 foot drop on the right side. It was definitely the most challenging part of the trip and came at a bad time. This was at dusk and I was struggling to read the river. Supposed to go right in most cases I think, but left is an option in higher flows. Also at higher flows the center line can venture into Class III- territory and you can find yourself dodging roots and rocks. That's what I did. I hit a submerged root and it began to push me sideways. While trying to recover and straighten out I spilled. I have a good size bruise on my thigh and a scraped shin. Aside from that nothing serious.

What kind of kayak did you use? I'd love to do that trip. I have a 12 foot feel free lure that is very wide....is it practical to make that run in a fishing kayak?
AggieArchitect04
AG
I actually went down it on a 12ft Feel free Moken. It's a fishing kayak but not too wide and not a flat bottom. I rented from ACK in San Antonio. I liked the boat. Seemed to track well. It did NOT have the rudder kit. I found the rapids to be pretty manageable on it.

If we get a warm weekend or two in November when I'm not deer hunting I'd like to get from RC road to Canyon Lake. I don't have a dry suit but I'm seeing about that
AggieArchitect04
AG
You would have had a blast I think. Especially if you were looking for some swifter water. It was moving Saturday...a little over 1,000 cfs.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I wouldn't take a lure in fast water.

They paddle slow and have a pretty high CG. Good for fishing, not great for flows.
SquirrellyDan
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

I actually went down it on a 12ft Feel free Moken. It's a fishing kayak but not too wide and not a flat bottom. I rented from ACK in San Antonio. I liked the boat. Seemed to track well. It did NOT have the rudder kit. I found the rapids to be pretty manageable on it.

If we get a warm weekend or two in November when I'm not deer hunting I'd like to get from RC road to Canyon Lake. I don't have a dry suit but I'm seeing about that
I've done that run several times...there's really good white bass fishing in the river about halfway down from RC road to the boat ramp.

I "walked" the kayak in the area directly below RC road, but other than that and one other spot it's smooth sailing.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Still kayaking and enjoying the hell out of it. I wouldn't say there is any level of mastery in my sit-on-top kayaking efforts, but still, I'm ready to up my game a little and see some more action.

Has anyone done whitewater kayaking...where you would use the short, sit-in, Pyranha type kayaks...?
Where can I get some training / practice with this? (Would like to take a swift water rescue class.)

Eventual plan is to go here:

If I die, I feel like I've had a good life and I'm at peace with that. /sarcasm
TacosaurusRex
Glad you found a hobby and are sticking to it, op. I'm not much help but I do believe there is a place in San Marcos that offers classes like you're looking for. I'm sure a quick Google search for kayak lessons San Marcos would do the trick.
TThom
I used to paddle a lot and led trips and taught whitewater kayaking at the Outdoor Pursuits program at a to be left unnamed Texas university in the panhandle. It was a lot of fun. Ben Kvanli is the guy in San Marcos and runs the Olympic Kayak Center on the San Marcos river. He was a former Olympic whitewater kayaker and would be a great place to learn to paddle and roll.

http://www.kayakinstruction.org

There are a few fun rivers in Texas for a learning whitewater paddler (San Marcos, South Llano, Barton creek). Conditions are usually very flow dependent in Texas. If you can make the drive - the Rio Grande "racecourse" and lower box in Pilar,NM (outside of Toas) are a lot of fun as well and outfitters can easily be found

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.