Outdoors
Sponsored by

Violating 30.07

4,609 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by txyaloo
Ornlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My church has both 30.06 and 30.07 signs posted at every entrance. To the best of my knowledge, the church has followed all requirements for posting notice to make it enforcable.

The guy two rows in from of me yesterday was a late 60s white guy with two hearing aids and a flattop haircut. He had a yellow ribbon pinned to his polo shirt. He attended mass (Catholic) with his wife, adult kid, and two grandkids. On his hip was a nylon holster and an LC9S.

What would you have done?

Personally, I said nothing and cheered him silently. I hate that our church has those stupid signs but I respect their decision and will personally abide. Was nice to knoe that we're not just a bunch of sitting ducks.
agfan2013
AG
Thank him for helping keep the congregation safe, then warm him about the signs and tell him he probably should think about carrying concealed so he doesn't get in trouble if some idiot were to report him.
SunrayAg
AG
I would have changed churches the day they put up the 30.06 sign.
Ornlu
AG
SunrayAg said:

It's a little tougher for Catholics. It's a diocessan policy so I'd have to drive to outside the diocese to go to mass. That's either 300 miles west to Amarillo diocese, 150 miles east to Tyler diocese, or 60 miles north to Oklahoma.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
? That's surprising. The Catholic churches around the hill country bless people's carry guns.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
That is weird. I'm in Austin diocese and we don't have any signs...
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Gunny456
AG
Sounds like he was open carry not concealed.
Gunny456
AG
Agree. We don't have that problem with churches in Kerrville.
homebuildingag
AG
Ornlu said:

SunrayAg said:

It's a little tougher for Catholics. It's a diocessan policy so I'd have to drive to outside the diocese to go to mass. That's either 300 miles west to Amarillo diocese, 150 miles east to Tyler diocese, or 60 miles north to Oklahoma.

Pull a Luther and go Protestant...
TXAGFAN
AG
All these 30.06 signs sure seemed to "improve" and meet requirements once open carry came around. Oops.
The Wonderer
AG
Gunny456 said:

OP meant carried concealed so people wouldn't know he was carrying and report him.
techno-ag
AG
The Wonderer said:

Gunny456 said:

OP meant carried concealed so people wouldn't know he was carrying and report him.
Right. Best thing to do with those signs is hide the gun.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
rather be fishing
AG
Our church posted both signs and hired an of duty officer to be on campus during all services on Sunday.
malenurse
AG
After the last church shooting, our pastor took the time to address the security situation at our church and shared it with the congregation. On Sundays, we have three uniformed deputies on duty. Two in the church and one that patrols the parking lot. To his personal knowledge, there are at least a dozen peace officers who regularly attend our services and carry while in plain clothes. Also, to his personal knowledge, there are at least a couple of dozen members who routinely carry concealed while attending. The church has no postings, but he politely asked the congregation to carry concealed in they chose to carry in church.

I love my church.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Ornlu
AG
This is the guy that instituted the policy:
http://bishopkevinfarrell.org/2016/06/ar-15-common-denominator/

Quote:

Our gun laws are an invitation to kill. They would be ludicrous if the situation were not so tragic. By their fruits you know them (Matt 7:16) and the fruits of our gun control laws are bitter indeed no, they are fatal.
I respect his authority as a vicar of Christ, but he has no business teaching about public policy.
AG
Perhaps he is LEO or retired LEO. Then it doesn't matter if he is credentialed. And wouldn't it be interesting to see if the church actually filed charges against a good parishioner?
Log
AG
homebuildingag said:

Ornlu said:

SunrayAg said:

Pull a Luther and go Protestant...
I was going to say, "What is don't be Catholic, Alex"?
txyaloo
AG
1989 said:

Perhaps he is LEO or retired LEO. Then it doesn't matter if he is credentialed. And wouldn't it be interesting to see if the church actually filed charges against a good parishioner?
If the church filed charges, the guy would be charged with violating 46.035 which is a Class A misdemeanor. Not worth it to try and OC in a 30.07 marked church.
Russ79
AG
Our church board met to discuss how we want to handle this. We have not posted signs but we do have a local cop that attends our church and I know he carries. There are also two of us that have our LTC and we both carry, concealed. Our board made the decision to not post signs but allow concealed carry. Anyone that show up openly carrying we are to ask them to please conceal so we don't stress the ladies or kids.
WildAg08
AG
Thats interesting.

The local parish is actually forming a Saint Michael Group and encouraging members to communicate to ensure we have LEO/LTC individuals spread out throughout masses.
DriftwoodAg
AG
1989 said:

this would be my guess based on the haircut and DGAS attitude
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Considering Peter carried a sword, and Christians are obligated to preserve their own lives, and Christ told his disciples to carry swords, I'd say he's an idiot - but I'm not Catholic.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Ornlu said:

This is the guy that instituted the policy:
http://bishopkevinfarrell.org/2016/06/ar-15-common-denominator/

Quote:

Our gun laws are an invitation to kill. They would be ludicrous if the situation were not so tragic. By their fruits you know them (Matt 7:16) and the fruits of our gun control laws are bitter indeed no, they are fatal.
I respect his authority as a vicar of Christ, but he has no business teaching about public policy.

Quote:

The second amendment rightly protects our right to bear arms for hunting, sport, self-defense and other legitimate purposes. There is no legitimate purpose for making this kind of weapon available to the general public.

The issue is one of common sense and self-defense the defense of our culture and our way of life.

Your priest is a special kind of idiot. That he can write those two sentences without any sense of irony or contradiction is astounding.
techno-ag
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

Considering Peter carried a sword, and Christians are obligated to preserve their own lives, and Christ told his disciples to carry swords, I'd say he's an idiot - but I'm not Catholic.
He also rebuked Peter for using the sword unwisely, when Peter sliced off the high priest's servant's ear when they came to grab Jesus ( John 18:10). That's when He said, "Live by the sword, die by the sword." (Matthew 26:52).
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
joerobert_pete06
AG
I spoke to a retired HPD officer this past weekend and he said that if I was caught carrying when both 3006/3007 signs are posted, maximum penalty would be $200. He also said that he doesn't believe very many officers would write that citation. If you were caught and then refuse to leave the property, then you can potentially face jail time. Does this seem right to y'all? I'm thinking about getting my TLC this weekend.
flashplayer
AG
If you claim ignorance and act VERY apologetic and concerned, I'd imagine most would let you off with a warning or wrist slap.

If the owner wanted to be a DB or for those occasional LEO DBs, you'd be screwed.

And definitely the weekend is a great time for TLC
txyaloo
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

I spoke to a retired HPD officer this past weekend and he said that if I was caught carrying when both 3006/3007 signs are posted, maximum penalty would be $200. He also said that he doesn't believe very many officers would write that citation. If you were caught and then refuse to leave the property, then you can potentially face jail time. Does this seem right to y'all? I'm thinking about getting my TLC this weekend.
Depends on what signs you carry past...

If a place is designated off limits in 46.035, and you carry past a sign on that premises, it's a Class A misdemeanor. If the property isn't included in 46.035, then it's a Class C like a traffic ticket with a max $200 fine.

Get your LTC. it's well worth the investment!
joerobert_pete06
AG
Roger that, buildings such as schools, courthouses, etc. thx for the feedback
MouthBQ98
AG
I am catholic and that's the first thing that came to mind. The second is that the church allows for self defense and the protection of the innocent. This political protest has no place in the church.
txyaloo
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

Roger that, buildings such as schools, courthouses, etc. thx for the feedback
Also includes churches, hospitals, etc that may otherwise be legal to carry in if they don't post a 30.06/07 sign. Since they're off limits in 46.035 (with an exception), it's still a Class A for knowingly carrying past a 06/07 sign.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.