Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas Unclaimed Property

22,388 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
cslifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes that is the legit site the comptroller's office uses. Do it all yourself, DO NOT pay anyone to do it for you.
SunrayAg
AG
I put in a claim in September... got the check this week.
KaneIsAble
AG
Found $210 for the wife - nice. Frgot about this even though I had $900 from an HSA I never knew I had from work.

Thank you for my gun safe in 2016!
DB Coach
AG
I got about $300 from my CURRENT employer sitting in there! WTF
Born Maroon
AG
My wife has $518 unclaimed!
KaneIsAble
AG
SunrayAg said:

I put in a claim in September... got the check this week.
That's a bit different then my wife's as she already received an email stating the funds would be in our mailbox within 10 business days.
PooDoo
AG
Thanks found $500 for my dad.

There are $100,000's unclaimed for different little car dealers....
Front Range Ag
AG
I share an uncommon last name with a very wealthy ranching/oil family. They have multiple claims of over $250K in there!

I just can't imagine.
FSGuide
Found a couple hundred bucks under my dads business name. Says it was filed in 2018. He died in 1994 and his business went with him.
lespaul
AG
should it concern me that I have never heard of the company that I have unclaimed money from?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Who can claim a deceased person's property?

Their heirs. Either through their will (whether probated or not -- if it exists and still can be probated it needs to be) or through intestate succession. The Affidavit of Heirship will suffice if they had no will. Keep in mind that Texas law isn't as straightforward on succession as you would think. If there is a surviving spouse and kids, there is separate and community property. If there is an ex- and step kids, well, I don't even want to think about that.

Funny story: in law school, during our estates and trusts class, an Aggie PhD math guy (another student) and I gave a math refresher lecture to those who needed help with the math involved with succession exercises. Up until that point, I was embarrassed at my less than stellar performance in Math 151 at A&M (at the time, Engineering Calc I; don't know if it still is). After that, I felt like a math genius, comparatively speaking.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.