Outdoors
Sponsored by

Home Security Question for my Mom

1,367 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
PaulSimonsGhost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Came over from the Politics Board on several recommendations from a post gone crazy.

My mom is in her mid 60's and lives alone with two dogs, one a German Shepherd mix. I asked her about her home security and tried to take her to buy a hand gun, but she keeps blowing me off.

Her San Antonio neighborhood isn't bad, but it's getting older.

The dogs go insane at the hint of a commotion outdoors but that may not be enough of a deterrence.

I placed a "Support the Blue" SAPD sign in her yard but my experience calling from her home is response times can range from 5 to 8 minutes.

What physical tools can I give her that will give her honest protection.

Taser?
Bottles of large animal mace stored through out the house?

Gig'em

agsalaska
AG
Taser and mace.
Post removed:
by user
gig em 02
Door jamb armor, and make sure the windows are secure
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Let's clear the air on one thing... True tasers are a bad idea if you don't know how to use them. Stun guns, which just require hitting the metal end to the badguy, are not hard to use. Actual tasers require some skill. They are also not cheap.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
45-70Ag
AG
A home security system carries an initial cost plus a monthly cost. But it allows you to secure your house even when you're inside.

Between options like adt and a new company like simplilife, there are some good choices available.
FIDO*98*
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

I placed a "Support the Blue" SAPD sign in her yard but my experience calling from her home is response times can range from 5 to 8 minutes.

Hate to say it, but, you may have invited trouble with this one. Cops and those who support them aren't exactly beloved by the BLM and other similar type groups. It's not like the 911 dispatcher is going to be saying "Hurry! That's the lady who backs the Blue!"

A fake home alarm sign or some dummy security cameras would be a much better deterrent. Or better yet do a real security system and some live cams
Naveronski
AG
What about setting up something like an Arlo camera system?

We have 5 cameras that cover 360 of our exterior, and partial interior, and don't pay anything monthly.

They arm/disarm based off our phone's GPS location (so your mom won't forget to arm/disarm the system) and auto arms at night.
We can view them live from our phones, and it gives us piece of mind when we're away.
Strongwind86
AG
Look at the Kimber Pepper Blaster. My wife and daughters have been carrying them for years. They work.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Thanks for your input fellas.

Today I installed a stronger bolt on the front and back doors and have decided to take the plunge and go with an alarm security system.

I'm shopping around but would love some suggestions on which companies are the best? It's my Mom so I want the best and am willing to pay for it.
dubi
AG
PaulSimonsGhost said:

I'm shopping around but would love some suggestions on which companies are the best? It's my Mom so I want the best and am willing to pay for it.

https://www.smiththompson.com/

They do not offer service in B/CS, but i have heard excellent reviews.
always gig em
AG
Nest or Ring doorbell---they have security cameras on them.

Also second the dummy home alarm sign IF you don't get her an actual system. If you do go the full alarm route get her a lanyard panic button she can wear around the house, will set the alarm to squeal like crazy and call the law. May be inconvenient but come on mom, work with me.

For the front door get her a door jamb/armor (or whatever they're called). Almost impossible to kick in.

Get her to take a ladies course or something along those lines with bender or one of the other pistol guys on here. Then give her a day at the beauty shop for being a good girl and listening to her favorite son.
expresswrittenconsent
Quote:

Have you really had to make multiple police emergency calls from your moms ?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.