Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best rifle scope for under $400

3,086 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Charismatic Megafauna
Justified
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to replace a scope on a rifle primarily use will be my son.
Don't mind the 50mm but prefer smaller so I don't have to use extra tall rings. Thanks

Sorry it's going on a bolt action.
FIDO 96
AG
Rudolph or Vortex. Take your pic based on what you want to spend
DatTallArchitect
AG
What power of scope do you want? Caliber of rifle and range of shots expected to take?
BurrOak
AG
Leupold VX3i in 3.5-10x40 is right at $400.
HSEAG13
Buy one of the sig's off camofire if it comes up
AggieMPH2005
Leupold VX 3i 2.5x8x36mm is $350 on Amazon.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Caliber? Power range? How far does he want to shoot?
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Old Sarge
AG
Leopold VX2 3-9x40 Are a Hot Deal at Academy. Reg $299, now $225. VX2's have been discontinued, and replaced by Freedom line for $199. VX2 is same glass as the "old" VX3, and has the fast focus eyepiece, which the Freedom does not. Out in whse, but their stock shows a few hundred left in stores. Custt Svc can order shipped to you from a store. I bought 2. Get them while you can.

I also put a VX3i 3-9x40 on my new 25-06.
Green is the new RED.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Old Sarge said:

Leopold VX2 3-9x40 Are a Hot Deal at Academy. Reg $299, now $225. VX2's have been discontinued, and replaced by Freedom line for $199. VX2 is same glass as the "old" VX3, and has the fast focus eyepiece, which the Freedom does not. Out in whse, but their stock shows a few hundred left in stores. Custt Svc can order shipped to you from a store. I bought 2. Get them while you can.

I think the vx1 and vx2 shared glass. The biggest difference was the vx2 had the click adjustments, which is why there was a bigger jump in price from the vx2 to vx3 than from 1 to 2. Also, the powers matched up on the 1s and 2s... 3-9, 4-12, etc whereas the vx3 was like 3.5-10 or 4.5-14.
Justified
It's just a .223 I wouldn't expect to take a shot at a deer no more than 100 yards max!
Justified
Which model of vortex should I be looking for?
Crossfire or diamondback? I own vortex binos and surprised with the clarity for the price.
FIDO 96
AG
I've put the 3-9x40 Crossfire II on two of my boys rifles. It's been more than adequate for them to shoot deer out to 100yds. I'm sure it's capable of allowing shots beyond that, but we've not tried.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I'd suggest the 1-6x scope by Primary Arms or something similar.
AggiePetro07
AG
Leupold VX 2 3-9x40
Or
6x or 10 Mil Quad Mil/Mil SWFA Super Sniper
If you get the 10x, get the side focus.
BurrOak
AG
FIDO 96 said:

I've put the 3-9x40 Crossfire II on two of my boys rifles. It's been more than adequate for them to shoot deer out to 100yds. I'm sure it's capable of allowing shots beyond that, but we've not tried.

Diamondback if you choose to go with Vortex. Crossfire is their lowest tier model. Diamondback is the next tier up.

For quality of glass, VX Freedom or VX3i will beat similar priced models of Vortex, hands down.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

Leupold VX 2 3-9x40
Or
10x would probably be a bit much. Also, for hunting, I'd suggest a variable. 3-9x40 is a good option.
EFE
AG
Sig whiskey3 in 3-9 with their ballistic matched turret is a pretty sweet setup. Bought one paired with a Sig range finder at Christmas last year and was really impressed with the glass quality at that level scope.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I like nikon over leupold at the lower price points. Check out the 2.5-10x50 prostaff at just under your budget, or save a few bucks and get the 3-9x50
Looks like you may be able to get the swfa 3-15 sfp in your budget. Do that
Stasco
AG
I may be in the minority here, but if the plan is to stay inside of 150 yards or so, I really like a good fixed 4x scope. Not sure how many options there are for that these days, but if you can find a good one, I'd say go for that.
BrownDeerAggie
AG
I know I will be laughed at by some but I have used BSA scopes for many years and they get the job done, don't break the bank, and have held up fine.
CT'97
AG
SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight Rifle Scope $349.95

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Dammit, wrong thread. Check the Texian or Tikka thread.
AggiePetro07
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

AggiePetro07 said:

Leupold VX 2 3-9x40
Or
10x would probably be a bit much. Also, for hunting, I'd suggest a variable. 3-9x40 is a good option.

Honestly, people rarely use the available variable power when hunting. That's coming from a guy who has plenty of variables. Most people set it and forget it.

10x might be a bit much, but that's why I suggested the 6x. The 6x is plenty to make repeatable, well placed shots on game farther than many have business shooting.
CTGilley
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Old Sarge said:

I think the vx1 and vx2 shared glass. The biggest difference was the vx2 had the click adjustments, which is why there was a bigger jump in price from the vx2 to vx3 than from 1 to 2. Also, the powers matched up on the 1s and 2s... 3-9, 4-12, etc whereas the vx3 was like 3.5-10 or 4.5-14.
I know ~8 years ago the VX2 and 3 shared glass. There was only one coating difference between the two. That was after calling them to verify. At that time there was a $100 jump. VX-II has remained relatively the same price for over 10 years. I would not be surprised if the glass quality changed / never advanced.
CTGilley
AG
BurrOak said:

FIDO 96 said:

Diamondback if you choose to go with Vortex. Crossfire is their lowest tier model. Diamondback is the next tier up.

For quality of glass, VX Freedom or VX3i will beat similar priced models of Vortex, hands down.
Very easily. I have not had good experiences with low end Vortex. I was presently surprised by the Primary Arms scopes. If they are in stock I find them to be better than the diamondback and cheaper. <$200.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Oh and to echo back to the OP, I'd REALLY look at Riton's 3-9x40 RT-S Mod 5. Sucker has a 30mm tube and clicks for days. Been extremely happy with it and it's closer to $300 than $400
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

Honestly, people rarely use the available variable power when hunting. That's coming from a guy who has plenty of variables. Most people set it and forget it.

I disagree, i carry/walk with mine on low power and zoom in when i sit somewhere (or when i see a critter if i have time)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.