Outdoors
Sponsored by

Nightstand gun safe

3 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by lazuras_dc
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does the OB have a recommendation for a model to fit a full size pistol, or thoughts on bio-metric vs. electronic vs. mechanical?

Main desire is to keep it close at hand as opposed to the big safe, but out of a growing toddler's ability. Not particularly concerned with disguising it, but the best option would be inside the bottom drawer of a goodsized nightstand.
bam02
AG
I have the Gunvault brand with the electronic combo and finger slots where the buttons are. I think it's freat for the price. Access is quick and has been 100% reliable. I think it takes a 9v battery and I've only had to replace it once in the 6-8 years I've had it. I know I should change it regularly, but I test it often.

There are YouTube videos showing people tapping them a certain way to open it but I tried it a hundred times and couldn't get mine to do it so I feel pretty confident in its security, at least with kids. It wouldn't work well in a drawer but mine is pretty obscure mounted to the side of my nightstand next to the bed.
CowtownAg06
AG
I've got this one:
https://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Opening-Drawer-Safe-Fingerprint/dp/B004FO37AC/ref=pd_sbs_200_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004FO37AC&pd_rd_r=f1e60a9a-a0c0-11e8-8f9e-25479149b04e&pd_rd_w=jDQAr&pd_rd_wg=nmGSC&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ebf3f80b-3878-4fb9-8381-bbec92f92693&pf_rd_r=1KPV7029K98BP7NJ4BYK&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=1KPV7029K98BP7NJ4BYK

It fits in some drawers but I keep it under the bed close to me. Works well.
fishngame06
AG
SpeedVault SV500 made by GunVault. I have the 4 button combination and bolted it to my nightstand between bed and stand. Perfect and love it. I have 3 kids under the age of 6 and it is very secure and reliable.
AgEng98
fishngame06 said:

SpeedVault SV500 made by GunVault. I have the 4 button combination and bolted it to my nightstand between bed and stand. Perfect and love it. I have 3 kids under the age of 6 and it is very secure and reliable.

+1
DevilYack
AG
I have this one: SentrySafe Pistol Safe, Quick Access Gun Safe, Digital Lock

Can't recommend it because when the batteries die (4 AAs), it won't open. There is no warning, either. Very poor design from a safety standpoint. I still use it, but I check it at least once a week.
maverick2076
Another one for the Speedvault. The wife and I each have one on our sides of the bed.
fourth deck
AG
I'm a big fan of the simplex lock, no batteries to fool with and very quick. A few different lock boxes use it. Look up the Stealth portable on Amazon, not cheap but very well made. I currently have a Glock 17 sitting in it with room for another.
Neches21
I would not get a battery safe. I personally know someone who went to retrieve a handgun during a home invasion and as mupheys law would have it, the battery was dead. She had to hide defenseless in the closet while she called 911.

If you already have a battery safe, it would be a good idea to change the battery annually. Write the date of the last battery change on masking tape and stick on the safe so you don't forget
lazuras_dc
AG
Good point neches.

I have one similar to the barska (same brand diff style) it's under my bed and the way my bed is you have to lift the bed to move the safe but the door to the safe can open as is. So I think it's pretty secure regarding children.
I just have toreach down and open with my thumb or finger on the biometric part.
My only gripe is it takes about 2 seconds for the lock to open. Seems slow. And I bet during an emergency would seem slower but I keep two in there: ccw p938 and a full size 45 and they fit easily.
lazuras_dc
AG
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-bedside-gun-safe-quick-access/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.