Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cross posting from politics (home defense help)

6,821 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by '03ag
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2968310
Paging eyeguy
Naveronski
AG
gougler08 said:

JohnnieT said:

Get a shotgun for home defense.
Agreed, don't have to be incredibly accurate to still do a lot of damage

First page gem.
normaleagle05
AG
That's an appropriate response in a fabricated troll post.
UTExan
I have been thinking a lot about this thread and initially recommended a Glock 19 for obvious reasons. But for a one gun owner in an urban area where gun control freaks abound, I am evolving to recommending a lever action carbine in .357/.38. It would be handy in a SHTF situation of civil unrest with a cartridge capable of inflicting lethal force to 100 meters with Buffalo Bore ammo (124 grains at about 2000 feet per second from an 18 inch barrell if memory serves) . And a lever action is fast and does not have that black rifle look which freaks out the ninnies.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I was constantly thinking of the OB while reading that thread and some of the responses. On a separate note, I do hope the OP on the Politics thread finds what works for him.
AggieChemist
AG
[Keep your disrespectful comments to yourself. - Staff]
agfan2013
AG
If its not a troll (I stay far away from the politics board so I legit dont know), all I can say is it amazes me how many people wait for something bad to happen before deciding they need to change their ways.

Doesnt make sense to wait for something bad to spur you on to buy a gun, you should've had one in the first place. People are so naive these days....
FriscoKid
AG

Yes, and a lib, and I don't think he's trolling.
TwoMarksHand
AG
That thread in /16 is so bad...so many misguided responses.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

A lot of people recommend shotgun, but there's an expert marksman and gun nut on the outdoors board (can't remember his name) who says AR is the safest and best for home defense. He even cited ballistics studies.

Well he got the nut part right anyway.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So I know we had the joke/troll thread on this board the other day, but what really is the right answer? I just don't feel safe protecting my family with a claymore or a flamethrower.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So much ignorance was/is being spewed on that thread. Very annoying...
Scriffer
AG
Arthur Stilwell
Why the hell would you announce your presence to the perp?
FriscoKid
AG
Arthur Stilwell said:

Why the hell would you announce your presence to the perp?

Did I mention the liberal thing?
texrover91
AG
Lever gun With or without a safety?

Cause, as you know, when the perp hears that click they will beg for mercy and run away
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
I just saw that post over there and came over here for the popcorn . . .
DatTallArchitect
AG
blindey said:

So I know we had the joke/troll thread on this board the other day, but what really is the right answer? I just don't feel safe protecting my family with a claymore or a flamethrower.
You want an AR15 in .223/5.56 (preferably suppressed for the sake of everyone's ears)
BenderRodriguez
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

I feel dirty wandering over there....
puryearag85
AG
I know this might sound "crazy" but I like shotguns for home defense. I dont dispute the fact that an AR can be a fine weapon for this purpose, but I've bird hunted all my life and I am familiar with all shotgun platforms. I also have a number of pistols, AR's, and AK's. My prefernce is my KSG short barreled 12 gauge with iron sites and a light. Holds 15 shells of whatever. I use buckshot because I no kids at home anymore. I keep this at bedside. I also have a .45 colt rail gun with a light in my nightstand. Just my opinion-cont the argument I've learned some things from these threads
UTExan
texrover91 said:

Lever gun With or without a safety?

Cause, as you know, when the perp hears that click they will beg for mercy and run away

Yes, according to some posters over there, the racking of a 12 gauge shotgun frightens them off.
AggieChemist
AG
For the record, I did not use any derogatory language, slurs, nor did I say anything disparaging about the politics poster. I then suggested a like-minded group he might want to explore.

Frankly, the fact that trigger happy staff edited me is crap.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

I feel dirty wandering over there....
You did good work.

That board is a lot of fun as long as you don't take it too seriously.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
I clicked on it from the blue star pane and assumed it would be over here. When it wasn't, I QUICKLY clicked back. That place is a cesspool!
BenderRodriguez
AG
I was wondering g about that. All I saw you mention was the pink pistols which is a group that does great work.
AggieChemist
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

I was wondering g about that. All I saw you mention was the pink pistols which is a group that does great work.

Clearly staff is inserting their own biases in my mouth. I think they owe me a public apology.
UTExan
AggieChemist said:

BenderRodriguez said:

Clearly staff is inserting their own biases in my mouth. I think they owe me a public apology.
If you are talking about the Pink Pistols, they are a very well known self-defense advocacy group for the LGBTQ community. (and a voice of sanity IMHO)
FriscoKid
AG
AggieChemist said:

BenderRodriguez said:

Sorry I brought the politics kind of moderation here.
texrover91
AG
alarm companies should add the option to play "pump action shotgun" when an alarm is triggered

then we could measure the true effectiveness of this theory by the homeowner body count
BenderRodriguez
AG
puryearag85 said:

I know this might sound "crazy" but I like shotguns for home defense. I dont dispute the fact that an AR can be a fine weapon for this purpose, but I've bird hunted all my life and I am familiar with all shotgun platforms. I also have a number of pistols, AR's, and AK's. My prefernce is my KSG short barreled 12 gauge with iron sites and a light. Holds 15 shells of whatever. I use buckshot because I no kids at home anymore. I keep this at bedside. I also have a .45 colt rail gun with a light in my nightstand. Just my opinion-cont the argument I've learned some things from these threads

I think people misconstrue why I don't like shotguns for home defense in a lot of threads. If you've used and patterned your KSG, are competent with it and understand its limitations and abilities, rock on.

That politics thread is a perfect example of everything I dislike about the typical "shotgun is best" advice, primarily:

1) People being told they don't have to aim
2) People being told a shotgun won't over penetrate
3) People being told to use bird ammo for self defense
4) People being told they're perfectly capable of shooting a gun that requires an action done correctly between every single trigger pull under stress to keep functioning but they're incapable of figuring out how to use a semi auto like an AR.

It's not that shotguns aren't perfectly acceptable defensive guns, I just really hate bad and dangerous advice. We've had threads here on the OB where somebody was going to get their daughter a shotgun because she lived in an apartment and had a roommate across the hall and the shotgun was going to penetrate less. Dangerous decisions made on bad information, that most "shotguns are best" guys who heard that once from a cop 30 years ago keep disseminating.

It's less that shotguns suck and more than the myths around their defensive use are super ******ed and dangerous that I really take issue with.
CharlieBrown17
AG
He even cited ballistics studies has me cracking up
trouble
AG
AggieChemist said:

BenderRodriguez said:

Pretty sure whomever edited you doesn't know what Pink Pistols is.

http://www.pinkpistols.org/find-a-local-chapter/
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Been following the forum 16 thread.....

Came over here to see if link had been established... not disappointed..

How I picture bender reading the 16 thread.

This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Kashchei
AG
Speaking of Dallas, can anyone recommend a range in north Dallas? (Plano, Richardson, Addison, Garland?)
texrover91
AG
Bullet trap comes to mind and if you go a little further north Frisco Gun Club

Then there's the old Winchester range on NW hwy towards IRVING - Elm Fork. Outdoor pistol range, plus clays, skeet, and rifle
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.