Outdoors
Sponsored by

Advice wanted - thinking about an AR-10 but don't have a lot of spare cash

1,284 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an AR-15 and I love it. I really like the 308 cartridge though, so I would like to have something with a bit more boom. What do y'all think of this one, from PSA? The price is right, for my entry level budget. I have a vortex Sparc 2 on my AR-15, so I will probably pair one with this gun also.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-516447608.html

I know many here build their own and I would love to learn that one day, but I want to see if I get enough kick out of this one, to move up in a few years. By then, I am sure my son will need an AR-10, so I could always donate this one to him at that point.

I have about $900 max to put into one, before the optic.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Log
AG
Might know someone that has (had) a DPMS LR308 w/ scope for $900. I'll check if it is still available.

Description:
DPMS panther 308
Model LR 308.
Has 4 way pic rail hand guard for bipod or light
Bushel 4-12x40 scope.
$900w/ scope. $750 w/out.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'm looking for a flat top. Don't want that traditional AR-15 sight on the barrel.

If you have something, please email me pics. My email is in my profile.

I've heard both DPMS and PSA make journeyman ARs for the budget-friendly plinkers.
Stasco
AG
I have no experience with the PSA AR-10s, but the AR-15 I got there has been great. The trigger leaves much to be desired, but I had planned on upgrading that anyway. Otherwise, it's been remarkably reliable and accurate.
Aggieangler93
AG
Need to checkin with eyeguy also and see what he has in this range.
FIDO*98*
AG
Have you considered a 300 Blackout upper for your current gun?
skelso
AG
I own a couple and have sold several dozen PSA PA10s. I have only had 1 that had issues, otherwise they are decent. The triggers are horribe but can easily be changed down the road.

Don't let the description fool you. They are not "lightweight", especially with a magazine full of ammo installed.

You should consider a 6.8spc II upper for your AR15. Would be cheaper than a new rifle and less weight. Not quite as much punch as .308 but considerably more than 5.56.
BreNayPop
AG
My psa ar10 was gtg.

Used a cheap 1-8x primary arms acss and love it.

Edit- only problem with the platform is cost of ammo comparative to the 5.56. I use malaysian surplus crap and it is fine, not great tho.

Edit 2- agree w kelso based on criteria... but then again anyone disagreeing w kelso or eyeguy is an gonna look silly
Log
AG
My friends' DPMS is still available. Let me know if you are interested and i will get you his contact info.
skelso
AG
I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I'm the first to admit I dont know everything firearm related. I learn new stuff all the time, much of it from discussions like these.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
What type of optic are you wanting to run on it? Reason I ask, depending on what you're looking to spend on optics, I may be able to get you squared away with something nicer as a package deal. If you already have optics, that's a different story. Texags price on AR10s from us is usually around $1100 but our guns have nicer barrels. So depending on optics, I may be able to swing the entire package price under your budget.

Now, that being said, on the PA10, the weak point to me with most of the PSA stuff is their barrels are just OK. Plus, as mentioned, the trigger is mediocre. The trigger isn't a big deal to for most people on a standard AR15 but for a 308, most people are wanting more precision.

Other thought, that is definitely a good price for an AR10. You can always get that and drop an ALG ACT trigger and a Ballistic Advantage barrel in it and not be too bad over your budget if you can do it yourself. Having someone install it will run a bit more but even that won't be too crazy.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
skelso said:

I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I'm the first to admit I dont know everything firearm related. I learn new stuff all the time, much of it from discussions like these.
Exactly. Plus, a lot of the gun world is very subjective. What I personally like isn't what is always best for everyone. Case in point, I just don't like shooting Glocks. I respect them and recommend them a lot, but I just got spoiled on good triggers (thanks CZ) and just do not like the overall majority of striker fire guns.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.