Outdoors
Sponsored by

AR Jam

1,416 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tree Hugger
reagan1k
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AR10 (PSA upper) somehow jammed on my brother. Bolt is 3/4 closed on a new round.

Forward assist is stuck, charging handle will not budge it.

Can't take the upper off because I guess the BCG / Buffer tube are still partially engaged.

What does he do? I'm not there to see it but I have a pretty good idea of what he's talking about.

I thought about telling him to push the handle back and bang the butt down (I've heard that called mortaring) but

have no idea if that's the best way to go.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'd be concerned about a squib that caused a jam that the fwd assist could not push into place. Weird that the bolt cannot be retracted by the charging handle.
Dunbar
AG
Take the mag out, fully collapse the buttstock, then mortar the rifle. This should clear the cartridge that is stuck in the gun. From there you can see what caused the malfunction. Emphasis on collapsing the buttstock. I have seen buffer tubes bent from people not doing the first step
op_06
AG
You're correct, he needs to use the mortar technique to clear the round. Make sure he collapses the stock first. Pull back on the charging handle while simultaneously slamming the butt of the rifle on the ground. I'm sure there are YouTube videos on the technique.
MROD92
Misunderstood, thought this was a new jelly
skelso
AG
Mortaring the rifle will certainly work in a pinch bUT I'm not a fan of banging on things unless I have to. Since the bolt is not locked into battery, remove the magazine and insert a Big F'ing Screwdriver or pry bar into the mag well and catch the bolt. I generally use a small block of wood to pry against. It lifts the fulcrum and keeps from marring the finish inside the mag well. Shooting some oil into the vents of the BCG and around the BCG may help.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
skelso said:

Mortaring the rifle will certainly work in a pinch bUT I'm not a fan of banging on things unless I have to. Since the bolt is not locked into battery, remove the magazine and insert a Big F'ing Screwdriver or pry bar into the mag well and catch the bolt. I generally use a small block of wood to pry against. It lifts the fulcrum and keeps from marring the finish inside the mag well. Shooting some oil into the vents of the BCG and around the BCG may help.
That was my first thought as well, but I think he means that an unfired round is chambered, which would make this a non-starter.
Log
AG
Pop both pins and pull the upper forward and it should come off the lower.
skelso
AG
Not following your logic as to why you think a chambered round (live or spent) makes my method a "non starter".
reagan1k
Log - That worked for him.

Mortaring wouldn't budge it, or maybe it freed it up enough.....but putting it in a vice and jerking the upper forward popped it loose. Then he was able to pry the bolt backwards and free it up.

Thanks all.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
I may not be following what you're saying exactly, but what I picture in your scenario is a screwdriver between the bolt face and a live round. If that's the case, you're applying force on/near a round that could go off (even if that's not likely), a partially open bolt, and your hands/face near both the ejection port and the open magwell. That seems less than safe to me. If it's a spent round, no problem. Again, though, I might be reading this incorrectly.
lexofer
AG
Snow Monkey Ambassador said:

I may not be following what you're saying exactly, but what I picture in your scenario is a screwdriver between the bolt face and a live round.
Big screwdriver between the front of the bolt carrier and receiver. Had to do this a few times when mortaring wasn't enough. This is only if the BCG isn't all the way forward. If it is all the way forward on a live round then you just shoot it out.
skelso
AG
The method I described is actually safer than mortaring with a live round in the chamber. ARs have a floating firing pin. Mortaring causes the pin to bounce. Usually not with enough force for ignition when it strikes thenprimer, but it can happen. Applying steady pressure to the carrier is not likely to result in a primer strike.

I have used this method even when in full battery. It's just much more difficult because you have to exert enough force to cause the bolt to rotate.
BrazosDog02
AG
MROD92 said:

Misunderstood, thought this was a new jelly
Do you know the difference between AR JAM and AR JELLY?
nonameag99
A dikfer
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Tree Hugger
AG
Why does it say AR jam when THERE IS NO AR JAM!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.