Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flat Earth

6,290 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Beetle 92
ilikestuff_2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A good friend started a fishing apparel company and is hoping to gain some traction on his Instagram.
Hopefully the Aggie Network can help give him some feedback. Let him know what you you think:
Flat Earth Clothing Co.
https://www.instagram.com/flatearthclothing/
FincAg
AG
Change the name
GarryowenAg
AG
Why the name flat earth? Is he/she a flat earther?
cupofjoe04
AG
They should try and get Neil DeGrasse Tyson as a celebrity sponsor.
Pro Sandy
AG
Don't have an Instagram account so can't see anything.
Ag_07
AG
I tend to ignore and discredit anything having to do with flat earthers and with the name Flat Earth I would easily associate this to them.

I would assume many outdoorsmen do the same so as a fishing apparel company he's potentially missing out on a huge portion of his customer base/demographic.

But I'll give him a follow and check it out.
Al Bula
AG
Tell your friend to buy an ad.
BenFiasco14
AG
I like the look and design of the shirts, but yeah the name flat earth is kind of cringe ... was he going for the idea that the Lake and oceans are "flat"?

Idk.
magnumtmp
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

I like the look and design of the shirts, but yeah the name flat earth is kind of cringe ... was he going for the idea that the Lake and oceans are "flat"?

Idk.

Flat Water is a better name if that's what he's going for.
BrazosDog02
AG
When you have magellan, columbia, and every other clothes maker with the same thing as he does, the name is everything. EVERYTHING.

I would not go with FLAT EARTH. Glass Water, Flat Water, WyattEarth, anything....

It's like having a Dahmer Processing. Brand identity goes both ways.

OR

Be mega uber aggressive with marketing across all digital platforms to overshadow the preconception. Like Hooker Headers. LOL.
eric76
AG
If it ever came up, I would categorically refuse to wear any item of clothing that has the words "Flat Earth" visible anywhere on it.
BrazosDog02
AG
Based on what I see on this thread, and contrary to what i posted, I bet Flat Earth is a brand everyone here remembers when they see it again. LOL.
eric76
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Based on what I see on this thread, and contrary to what i posted, I bet Flat Earth is a brand everyone here remembers when they see it again. LOL.
But would that translate into sales.

I think that sometimes brand recognition can work against you.
BrazosDog02
AG
Well, I don't know. If it were my business I would want a recognizable brand that is neutral. That's just me.
Oogway
How about 'Float Earth? I always try not to drown when I'm around water....
Vivificus
AG
Do we need more apparel companies? What are they doing that is novel or interesting? Are they just slapping a different logo on the same cotton T-shirts? Same goes for all the ice chest companies, same **** different name.
Viv
drummer0415
AG
I guess none of y'all have any FDE guns or accessories.
cupofjoe04
AG
Vivificus said:

Do we need more apparel companies? What are they doing that is novel or interesting? Are they just slapping a different logo on the same cotton T-shirts? Same goes for all the ice chest companies, same **** different name.

This.

They all have a snappy way to say their product is different- but if they aren't manufacturing the apparel or doing something proprietary to it, it is the same stuff with a different name. Just buying a logo at that point. So- brand name would be everything. I personally wouldn't want to explain "I'm not a flat earther" every time I wore the stuff.

The main question is- What are they actually bringing to the market that is new, and I can't get anywhere else? I don't have IG, so I can't see if they answered that question. Limited market visibility.

Just some honest feedback. I really do hope your friends are successful.
cupofjoe04
AG
drummer0415 said:

I thought that same thing at first too- but I think that is apples and oranges. FDE is a color, not a brand printed on things. And I think the "Flat" may even refer to the finish (as opposed to gloss). So it is not "Flat Earth", and I don't see anyone confusing the two.
ConstructionAg01
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

drummer0415 said:

I thought that same thing at first too- but I think that is apples and oranges. FDE is a color, not a brand printed on things. And I think the "Flat" may even refer to the finish (as opposed to gloss). So it is not "Flat Earth", and I don't see anyone confusing the two.
Your humor recepto-meter is broken.
SunrayAg
AG
I would never wear anything that said flat earth on it.

Plus, I'm an adult so I don't do instagram...
drummer0415
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

drummer0415 said:

This.
PFG
AG
Quote:

Is no one gonna tell this guy how much T&A is on Instagram?
cupofjoe04
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

drummer0415 said:

Overlooking the dang emojis got me again... or was I just trolling you too!

Nope... I'm not that smart. Not going to argue with you about my humor-meter.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
If your logo was a flat earth riding on the "world turtle" with a guy fishing off of it maybe. at least you are attempting to be humorous.

I would change it to Slightly imperfect Spherical Earth. or SISE
texrover91
AG
ilikestuff_2010 said:

A good friend started a fishing apparel company and is hoping to gain some traction on his Instagram.
Hopefully the Aggie Network can help give him some feedback. Let him know what you you think:
Flat Earth Clothing Co.
https://www.instagram.com/flatearthclothing/

Dayum those dogfish do look tasty!
gwellis
AG
PFG said:

Quote:

Is no one gonna tell this guy how much T&A is on Instagram?
rather be fishing
AG
@yetibuttsdaily
FIDO*98*
AG
Vivificus said:

From what I see he is selling the same Dri-Fit tech fiber shirt that HUK, UnderArmour, & Pelagic sell for $40-60 for $15. It seems that most of the new startups I see on FB are charging the same crazy prices as the big dogs trying to establish themselves as a premium brand. I for one would welcome a company to the market going the other direction.

Unfortunately, in this case, the Company is named Flat Earth and there's no way I'd put myself in a position to be ridiculed by my friends wearing something that says Flat Earth.
Arthur Stilwell
PFG said:

Quote:

nm

AgEng06
AG
Did any of you "I don't have Instagram" guys actually click the link? You don't have to have a profile to view the website...
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
Mas89
AG
Can't think of anything flat that sounds appealing... maybe hill, mountain, anything but flat.

BenFiasco14
AG
Mas89 said:

Can't think of anything flat that sounds appealing... maybe hill, mountain, anything but flat.

Flatbread pizza is all I got.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
PooDoo
AG
Change the name to
Flat Earth - Round Tits
Fits the girl and a couple of the guys on their Instagram
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.