Outdoors
Sponsored by

Scuba Gear: Rent vs Buy

10,261 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jammer262
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is what I dive Cozumel with in the summer and what I am taking to Coz this September.... works great. I also run warm and am "insulated".

https://www.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wetsuits-Sports-Skins-Black/dp/B003554ET0/ref=pd_aw_sim_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QXSKK6Z5MC2QJ4JTAQN2&th=1
txags92
AG
If the water temp is above about 84F, I just dive in board shorts and a long sleeve rash guard. We have a trip coming up to LC and the water there is hovering between 86 and 87 right now. No need for a wetsuit in those temps. Saves on weight for luggage too, which is not a small consideration given baggage limits/fees and trying to pack camera gear and dive gear for 2.
AZAG08
AG
When I was young I would dive in board shorts and no shirt. Then with a little age an experience I learned no matter how warm the water a rash guard goes a long way
txyaloo
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

This. A cheaper way to go is a set of Under Armour tights. they work well to keep any stinging critters off of you.

if you decide to get a wetsuit, I like anything with extra stretch for people with extra insulation. I usually dive a Henderson Thermoprene. The extra stretch really makes them easy to get on and off, Other brands make something similar
I have a skin like this for diving and it does not cost anymore than Under Armour products, but agree that is a good idea.

I love Henderson; I have the hyperstretch and it is super easy to get on and off. I have it in 1mm, 3mm and 5mm.
I like the UA (or even BCG from Academy) since it can serve dual duty. Works as a rash guard, but can also be worn under my drysuit as a first layer, or in colder weather outdoor activities.

I have 3mm, 5mm, and a shorty thermoprene. Never had any issues with fit even when my weight has fluctuated +/- 20lbs. Can't say the same for other non-stretchy suits.
FHKChE07
AG
https://us.oneill.com/collections/neoprene-tops/products/reactor-2-1mm-s-s-top

That is what I dive in because anything else is too hot. It is perfect for keeping you warm enough for anything in the gulf or caribbean. and it protects your shoulders from your BCD. Full wetsuits are a little excessive in my opinion unless you are diving in like San Diego.
Silky Johnston
Will be spending 2 weeks in Australia next May and am interested in diving the Great Barrier Reef. Any suggestions on a liveaboard boat for a few nights?

Anything else I should consider for a trip like this?
FHKChE07
AG
These are the people we did it with.

https://prodivecairns.com/

We really liked them. Great diving. Got to see Brian the giant turtle.
FHKChE07
AG
You can pay a lot more and see a lot better, but it takes a lot more time to go up to the fingers? way up out of Cairns. But the diving we did was spectacular. Everything is huge, like Jurassic huge.
txyaloo
AG
FHKChE07 said:

https://us.oneill.com/collections/neoprene-tops/products/reactor-2-1mm-s-s-top

That is what I dive in because anything else is too hot. It is perfect for keeping you warm enough for anything in the gulf or caribbean. and it protects your shoulders from your BCD. Full wetsuits are a little excessive in my opinion unless you are diving in like San Diego.
It was 75* below the thermocline in the Texas gulf 3 weeks ago. Most people will want more than a 2mm for that. Lake Travis is ~55* at depth this time of year and in the upper 60s at 70'. There's plenty of reasons for full suits in Texas even in the summer. Sounds like you don't do much "local" diving?
FHKChE07
AG
I don't do lake diving, I will give you that, but I have been down to 75 quite a bit in that shirt and it has kept my quite comfortable. And for when it is not 75 and more like 80-85, and everyone else is dying in their wetsuits, I am also a lot more comfortable. It has a fleece like lining on the inside that provides the insulation I guess.
txags92
AG
For me, I can do maybe one or two dives in about 82 or so degree water before I want more neoprene. Below about 80, I or if diving 3 times a day for a full week at <82, I want at least a 3mm shorty, if not a jacket and john. Cumulative hypothermia is real.
FHKChE07
AG
I guess everyone is different, but that is just not my experience. And I've known many people to spend a lot of money on wetsuits only to never use them or rarely use them because they are always too hot. My wife was having issues with overheating while diving because they made her wear a wetsuit to do checkouts in lake 288 and hasn't worn one since and thinks that even my top is far too thick. She wears a surfing shirt. I would just caution those that are buying new gear to dive a little bit before buying one because it is expensive and cluttery if you don't actually use it.
dubi
AG
txags92 said:

For me, I can do maybe one or two dives in about 82 or so degree water before I want more neoprene. Below about 80, I or if diving 3 times a day for a full week at <82, I want at least a 3mm shorty, if not a jacket and john. Cumulative hypothermia is real.
Same for Mr Dubi. He is skinny and will get cold wearing a 3mm suit when I'm wearing a skin.

Unless the water is 84 degrees, I pack a skin and a temp specific suit. For me, January diving is a 5mm, summer is a 1mm, and fall is a 3mm.
txags92
AG
dubi said:

txags92 said:

Same for Mr Dubi. He is skinny and will get cold wearing a 3mm suit when I'm wearing a skin.

Unless the water is 84 degrees, I pack a skin and a temp specific suit. For me, January diving is a 5mm, summer is a 1mm, and fall is a 3mm.
I am far from what anybody would ever call skinny...but I am a confirmed WWW (warm water wuss). I would love to do some west coast diving with sea lions, but can't convince myself I want to be that cold. I made the mistake of doing a couple of dives in the Dos Ojos cenotes down in Playa Del Carmen wearing just a 3mm shorty. I think the water was about 76-77F there, and by the end of the second dive, I was shivering badly. Reminded me of doing my checkout dives in November in Lake Travis wearing a shorty. Not fun.
txyaloo
AG
txags92 said:

dubi said:

txags92 said:

I am far from what anybody would ever call skinny...but I am a confirmed WWW (warm water wuss). I would love to do some west coast diving with sea lions, but can't convince myself I want to be that cold. I made the mistake of doing a couple of dives in the Dos Ojos cenotes down in Playa Del Carmen wearing just a 3mm shorty. I think the water was about 76-77F there, and by the end of the second dive, I was shivering badly. Reminded me of doing my checkout dives in November in Lake Travis wearing a shorty. Not fun.
I used to be very cold tolerant until I spent 8 hours straight in 65* water. I've mostly turned into a cold water wuss when diving. You might look into taking a drysuit class. That'll keep you plenty warm for those west coast dives.
HUEY04
AG
Everyone is different, the only time I've ever really gotten cold while diving was at the end of my 2nd hour in 72 degree water wearing board shorts and a rash guard. I have also been in 67-68 degree water in a 2mm full wetsuit and been fine for 2 back to back hour plus dives while people diving with me were getting out early even though they were in a 5mm suit. As a point of reference I am a really big guy and have some natural insulation and am by nature very hot-natured.

That said, I still err on the side of more insulation because once you get cold it takes forever to warm back up and can quickly ruin a day of diving. Even though I am perfectly comfortable in board shorts down into the mid 70's I still wear a SharkSkin long sleeve in the Caribbean while in the low 80's. It is basically just rash-guard sleeves and their "ChillProof" material in the torso which has a fleece inner lining and a neoprene like outer layer that is around 1.5mm thick.

Mr. Dubi
BSD said:

Does anyone with a pacemaker dive? I'd be interested in hearing the limitations/experiences.
I just spoke with a rep from a pacemaker and defibrillator company. She is going to look into this from and let me know what the manufacturer has to say.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Just got back from Bonaire... It was AMAZING!!! I ended up getting my Advanced Open Water and Nitrox certifications while I was down there. We are already planning another trip for next year.

We did a UV/Ostracod night dive that was truly magical, unfortunately they don't show up well on a GoPro. I did get a couple decent pictures though.

Thanks again for all the gear recommendations... the Teric dive computer was amazing (and made a few of the instructors a little jealous). My dad is seriously considering getting one as well.

https://i.imgur.com/9esL5tE.mp4
dubi
Hoyt Ag
AG
Headed to Thailand next week for a few weeks. Looking forward to along stretch of relaxtion, diving and cheap booze.
jammer262
Glad you loved the Teric! Seriously I think this is the first time I've ever offered advice on this forum and it was taken! It's on my want list as soon as I can swing it and my wife not notice. Looks like a wonderful trip, it's on my list as well. Thanks for the update!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.