Outdoors
Sponsored by

Scuba Gear: Rent vs Buy

10,151 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jammer262
Tx-Ag2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to Bonaire for a week at the end of September for a dive trip with my dad. We both received our open water certification 5 years ago and are planning on getting our advanced open water certification during this trip. Not sure how many divers are out there but figured there might be a few...

I would like to start diving more regularly and don't want to mess with the sometimes suspect rental gear, but don't want to waste money on non gun related purchases. I've been looking at getting the basics (dive computer, regulator, bcd) but wanted to get the opinions of some more experienced divers on what/where/when to buy.

I'm currently looking at the Sunto D4i dive computer with wireless pressure transducer, Sherwood SR2 regulator, and Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD.

I'm open to suggestions on all of the above equipment though, as well as whether or not to just keep renting gear.

OB do your thing, no real budget but would like to keep everything less than $2k (but open to raising it if a good argument can be made).

I already have a good set of fins/mask/snorkel.

TIA

Post Trip Update:

Just got back from Bonaire... It was AMAZING!!! I ended up getting my Advanced Open Water and Nitrox certifications while I was down there. We are already planning another trip for next year.

We did a UV/Ostracod night dive that was truly magical, unfortunately they don't show up well on a GoPro. I did get a couple decent pictures though.

Thanks again for all the gear recommendations... the Teric dive computer was amazing (and made a few of the instructors a little jealous). My dad is seriously considering getting one as well.

https://i.imgur.com/9esL5tE.mp4
ironmanag
AG
It depends on how much you dive. I can only go a couple of times a year so renting makes sense for me. I have a nice dive computer but rent the bcd, regs, weights, and tanks.

If you dive several times a year it would make sense. If you know that brand is what you want go for it.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I have no desire to rent a regulator. I dont care how much they clean them... people throw up in those things.

At a mimimum I would buy a computer and my regs. I dive mostly in Mexico where weight belts are standard, so I bought my own BCD because I prefer integrated weights.
AlexAggie
AG
I have had my gear for a long time and travel with people who don't. I am a cave diver, so I maintain my own gear and always dive with my rig no matter what. I got my wife some gear too so she and I bring it with us. I like being able to trust my gear, but honestly if you are just reef diving less than about 130' it's a toss up. I say that because lugging your gear around is a pain. You'll have to take another bag with all the gear in it usually. Depending on how much diving you are planning to do on vacation it might or might not be worth it.

As far a gear, I would suggest 2 things depending on what kind of diving you want to do. I would suggest a wrist mounted computer with a regular pressure gauge on your regs. Wireless and batteries are a failure point. Also I would suggest back inflation for your BCD instead of wrap around buoyancy. It helps keep you in a much better position in the water and is usually modular so you can change it around depending on your mission. I would suggest something like this https://www.leisurepro.com/p-divt4000/dive-rite-travel-pac-bcd
If you think you might ever get into technical diving, a back plate and wing is the best.

Regulators are generally all good. I have Scubapro, Oceanic and Apeks regulators and love them all. I have never used Sherwoods, but I am sure they work just fine too.

Good Luck in Bonaire!
AgEng06
AG
Paging the Dubis
txyaloo
AG
I prefer the DSAT algorithm in Oceanic computers to the algorithms used on Suuntos. Out of the box, Suunto computers are more conservative with shorter NDLs. You'll start to notice the NDLs if you're doing lots of dives in a day. The difference at the end of the day can be 20-30 minutes more bottom time with an Oceanic. Oceanic computers do offer the Z+ algorithm which is similar to the Suunto if you're diving with a buddy running a Suunto or Uwatec and want to have similar NDLs which is a nice feature

Are you planning to purchase your regs online or at a LDS? One thing to consider with regs is whether your LDS can service them. Scubatoys in DFW and REG-TECH in Chicago both do a good job servicing any reg, but some people like to have their regs serviced locally.
txags92
AG
We bought our own after our 2nd trip and have been diving with our own gear for the last 21 years. My basic philosophy is that at least the regs are life support equipment. I will never voluntarily trust somebody else's life support equipment if I can bring my own. I think after about the 5th trip, you will balance out the cost versus renting, and a good reg well maintained will last you at least 20 years. We have been diving the same regs (Apeks) and computers (suunto cobra) since 1997, and just finally bought new BCs two years ago after our 18 year old ones started to wear out. I could probably dive a rental bcd, but I just like the familiarity of always knowing where my gear is situated and not having to search for it. If you are just doing warm water reef diving, look hard at some of the travel BCD's or a backplate and wing combo. They will generally be lighter and easier to pack. We always carry our masks (mine is rx), regs and computers on the plane with us and the BCD's, fins, etc go in a single check bag. Don't get me started on underwater camera gear though...
txags92
AG
txyaloo said:

I prefer the DSAT algorithm in Oceanic computers to the algorithms used on Suuntos. Out of the box, Suunto computers are more conservative with shorter NDLs. You'll start to notice the NDLs if you're doing lots of dives in a day. The difference at the end of the day can be 20-30 minutes more bottom time with an Oceanic. Oceanic computers do offer the Z+ algorithm which is similar to the Suunto if you're diving with a buddy running a Suunto or Uwatec and want to have similar NDLs which is a nice feature

Are you planning to purchase your regs online or at a LDS? One thing to consider with regs is whether your LDS can service them. Scubatoys in DFW and REG-TECH in Chicago both do a good job servicing any reg, but some people like to have their regs serviced locally.
I see the conservatism of the suunto algorithm as a pro, not a con. Maybe it is because most of my dives are shallow and constrained more by air than NDL, but my goal is more towards making sure I get to enjoy the next dive than milking every minute of bottom time out of the one I am on. We do most of our diving on Little Cayman, so 3 dives a day with easy shallow profiles is most of our diving. I might feel differently if I were doing a live aboard to the Galapagos or something.
HUEY04
AG
As has already been said, if you plan on making more than 5-6 dive trips over the next few years than owning makes sense both financially and from the standpoint of being familiar with your life support equipment and knowing that it has been maintained correctly. I really like my Suunto D4i computer with wireless tank transmitter but I also carry an analogue pressure gauge and Suunto Zoop as backups because the last thing I want to end one of a handful of dives I'm going to have a chance to make on my vacation is a dead battery. As for BCD's, just find one that fits well, I really like my Zeagle Stilleto because it fits great and the back inflate makes staying level in the water much easier.
blip
I second everything AlexAggie said in his post. Switching to backplate / wing setup was the single best change that I made to my gear, and I mostly do recreational dives. If you are interested in the philosophy behind this setup, google "hogarthian configuration". Warning: this can turn into a rabbit hole real quick.

Enjoy Bonaire. I went about 10 years ago and had a wonderful time. Don't leave anything you'll miss in the truck when you go diving. Drink an ice cold Balashi for me - hopefully they are still as good as I remember them.
dubi
AG
Hi,

Will respond tomorrow when I have a full keyboard.

FYI, you do not need to spend $2k to get gear! All the wireless stuff is prone to malfunction and costs $$$$$.
txyaloo
AG
txags92 said:

txyaloo said:

I see the conservatism of the suunto algorithm as a pro, not a con. Maybe it is because most of my dives are shallow and constrained more by air than NDL, but my goal is more towards making sure I get to enjoy the next dive than milking every minute of bottom time out of the one I am on. We do most of our diving on Little Cayman, so 3 dives a day with easy shallow profiles is most of our diving. I might feel differently if I were doing a live aboard to the Galapagos or something.
Completely understand your perspective. I'm conservative in my dive plans. I don't want my computer to be the constraint when I'm doing multiple dives a day over a week. The nice thing about the Oceanic computers is you have the option to be very conservative or a bit more liberal but still safe. The Suunto doesn't give that option. Suunto computers often will punish a diver on the 3rd dive of the day and dives on subsequent days.

This reddit thread has some interesting charts showing NDL times in "plan" mode among different computers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/scuba/comments/7v7tly/im_compiling_a_list_of_computers_ndls/
txyaloo
AG
dubi said:

Hi,

Will respond tomorrow when I have a full keyboard.

FYI, you do not need to spend $2k to get gear! All the wireless stuff is prone to malfunction and costs $$$$$.
But AI gear is cool. I've never had any issues with my Uwatec or Aeris AI transmitters over lots of dives.
txags92
AG
txyaloo said:

txags92 said:

txyaloo said:

Completely understand your perspective. I'm conservative in my dive plans. I don't want my computer to be the constraint when I'm doing multiple dives a day over a week. The nice thing about the Oceanic computers is you have the option to be very conservative or a bit more liberal but still safe. The Suunto doesn't give that option. Suunto computers often will punish a diver on the 3rd dive of the day and dives on subsequent days.

This reddit thread has some interesting charts showing NDL times in "plan" mode among different computers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/scuba/comments/7v7tly/im_compiling_a_list_of_computers_ndls/

They must have changed sometime in the last 20 years or so since I bought my cobra, because I am pretty sure there are some settings I can change on mine to adjust how conservative it is.
Mr. Dubi
You can make a Suunto more conservative, but not less conservative. I had two Gekko's and really liked them, but they both failed on successive trips.

I don't see much value in spending a lot of money on a computer, as it's going to die. We both carry two computers as it's going to die on a dive, or you'll find out it's dead on a dive.
Mr. Dubi
To answer the original question, a BCD is just an air bag with D ringsI don't see much value in spending a lot of money on one, we usually get our stuff on clearance or closeout.

I am using a tiny travel wing with stainless plate, Dubi is using a Cressi lady's travel BCD, which is really light and compact.

Regs: hers is an old Aeris Pro she got on closeout about ten years ago, I have a Scubapro I pucked up used a couple years ago.

See if you can find a package deal. Scubatoys and LeisurePro used to sell nice gear sets on the cheap.
txyaloo
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

To answer the original question, a BCD is just an air bag with D ringsI don't see much value in spending a lot of money on one, we usually get our stuff on clearance or closeout.

I am using a tiny travel wing with stainless plate, Dubi is using a Cressi lady's travel BCD, which is really light and compact.

Regs: hers is an old Aeris Pro she got on closeout about ten years ago, I have a Scubapro I pucked up used a couple years ago.

See if you can find a package deal. Scubatoys and LeisurePro used to sell nice gear sets on the cheap.
Scubatoys also offers a 10% or more discount if you call them and ask for the Scuba Board discount. That at least helps with the tax.

I can't say I've ever had a computer die on a dive, but I wouldn't buy a computer these days that doesn't have a user accessible battery. Batteries and cheap and generally pretty easy to swap out. I also replace the battery door on my Aeris any time I replace the battery.
ironmanag
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

I have no desire to rent a regulator. I dont care how much they clean them... people throw up in those things.

At a mimimum I would buy a computer and my regs. I dive mostly in Mexico where weight belts are standard, so I bought my own BCD because I prefer integrated weights.
Each to his own, but I have never understood this. You eat at restaurants right? You put the forks and spoons in your mouth. For all you know that person before you had herpes. Yet you still do it. Why? Because they are cleaned.

According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
FHKChE07
AG
Yeah, except, I have seen how people clean regs and it isn't like how they clean forks. Especially the further afield you go diving. Maintenance is also a big deal for me. I know my gear is maintained and stored correctly.

Backplate with a wing is the way to go. Don't be scared by the conservative algorithms. I've dove probably 1000 dives with my Suunto D4i and have never felt like my bottom time was being shortened. In fact on my last trip, one of the guys on the boat was a NASA diver that said that he stopped counting at 10000 dives and had a Suunto. The bigger issue I have found is that when someone on my boat has an issue with their non-suunto computer, nobody on the boat can help them and there isn't any wifi so now you don't have a computer. I've seen that happen more times than I can shake a stick.

Both my wife and I have integrated air wirelessly, but have backup gauges. It is just easier to not have to look at my gauge but I have a backup for if it doesn't work. But you have to have a 1st stage that has enough ports to support it. A lot of cheaper ones don't. They have literally the minimum number of ports.

Integrated weight is the way to go, but you can do that with a backplate setup. For instance, right now my set up is 2 pounds on the top strap of my tank and two pounds on my left hip. There are a couple of pockets there that I can put those weights into. but they are just pockets.

Fins are important to consider also. I dive with jet fins which are heavy and are essentially part of my weight.

Think long and hard before you purchase a wetsuit. I literally haven't dove with one since I was certified. I have a phenomenal O'Neill thermal rash guard that is all I wear. it dries quickly, is compact and keeps me warm enough. Nobody wants to be diving in cold water.

I would also throw an open ended wrench that is the right size for your regulator in your regulator bag just in case you need to tighten something sometime. It is a dive saver.

My wife is much more organized than me, but has a little plastic tub of spare parts, ointments, anti-fog, dry shampoo, Dramamine, etc... Keep that with you on the boat. It is a dive saver. We went on a dive in the bahamas and dove through a swarm of baby jellyfish. Everyone on the boat (except me, I'm not allergic) came up in terrible pain. My wife got the cortizone cream out of the box and rubbed it on the bites? and was all better for the second dive.

Last but not least is, depending on how much gear you get, the bag is the most important part. Dive shops are notoriously down gravel roads, sandy beaches etc... Plus you have been travelling through 3 airports and 14 timezones and your wife is *****ing at you that you aren't moving fast enough. Having a bag that you can set another of your bags on or can hold 2 peoples gear or whatever is clutch. and then having a mesh duffel that you can use to take your gear to the shop.

I could go on and answer all kinds of questions if you want. I'm all for having your own gear. But don't go crazy. You don't really need all the doodads.
dubi
AG
So we dive twice a year and have friends with very high end gear. We have middle of the road gear purchased on clearance for at least 50% off.

1) regulator - buy one and get a good one! Get a molded mouthpiece for jaw comfort. Look for used equipment.
2) BC - I have got a small back inflate travel vest super cheap (breast cancer pink)! Make sure it has weight pockets.
3) Mask - go to a scuba shop and try them on. Mine cost $100 and I sent if off to get my RX put it in so I could see the controls on the back of my camera.
4) Fins - full foot and lots of brands to try. We have regular and split fin both. Borrow some and see what you like.
5) Neoprene boots - get thicker ones something like this for rocky areas. Thin ones suck.
6) Dive watch - we have the $200 models. All our original ones have died and we are on our 2nd set. We own 4 watches and Mr Dubi has a spare in his console. They all have user replaceable batteries which was mentioned above. Make sure it is Nitrox compatible for when you take the class.....
7) cameras - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We are in B/CS. Email in profile.
FHKChE07
AG
Nitrox is also a no brainer. It is an online only class. No practical and then you can dive nitrox which means that you don't have to worry so much about your N2 build up. And, they say it is anecdotal, but I swear that I feel less tired on dives with Nitrox and definitely less sore. The thing that detractors will say is that you can't go as deep, but seriously, there is rarely anything worth seeing below 34 meters. I promise. And you want to talk about cutting down your bottom time? That will kill it. and if there is something spectacular that you need to go to 40 ish, do that dive on air. The key thing is to always have your dive computer set up for nitrox and then you vary the percent mix because if you dive a dive on air, then you can't switch to nitrox later. But if you dive a nitrox dive on 21% you can change it to 32% for the next dive.
HUEY04
AG
Dubi, I'm a bit scared to ask about #7 on your list but do you have any recommendations for a dive camera setup that isn't $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$? I'm thinking more along the lines of $$...
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I am going to Cozumel in Sept to do my AOW. I will dive about 15 dives in 5 days. Is the Nitrox class worth doing prior to the trip?
LSB_2002
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

I'm going to Bonaire for a week at the end of September for a dive trip with my dad. We both received our open water certification 5 years ago and are planning on getting our advanced open water certification during this trip. Not sure how many divers are out there but figured there might be a few...

I would like to start diving more regularly and don't want to mess with the sometimes suspect rental gear, but don't want to waste money on non gun related purchases. I've been looking at getting the basics (dive computer, regulator, bcd) but wanted to get the opinions of some more experienced divers on what/where/when to buy.

I'm currently looking at the Sunto D4i dive computer with wireless pressure transducer, Sherwood SR2 regulator, and Sherwood Avid CQR 3 BCD.

I'm open to suggestions on all of the above equipment though, as well as whether or not to just keep renting gear.

OB do your thing, no real budget but would like to keep everything less than $2k (but open to raising it if a good argument can be made).

I already have a good set of fins/mask/snorkel.

TIA

We are taking a couples trip to Bonaire during the same time! We'll be there Sept. 29th - Oct 6th.

I was not planning on buying any equipment, as I only dive once every 2-3 years. We have a master dive instructor going with us that is very familiar with Bonaire. His thoughts on the rental equipment there seemed to be very highly taken care of. He made it seem like they really take care of their stuff, versus many of the dive shops in other places, ie. Mexico.

We plan on diving as much as possible while there. I was hoping to get by with a new mask and some nice boots, but now you have me second guessing myself!
mandevilleag
For a reasonably priced camera/video setup just go with a GoPro and some accessories from backscatter.com. The GoPro takes very good video and fairly good photos.

Back plates are definitely the way to go. For typical warm water dives where I just wear a skin, I don't even use weights. I carry two computers on my dives; a Shearwater Petral as my primary (I can see the screen in all conditions with this computer) and a Uwatec Galileo as backup. If one craps out I can continue with more dives that day. I dive as part of my job so am fortunate enough to have them purchase the gear.

If I were just diving a couple times a year, I'd rent. The cost of purchasing gear and maintaining it wouldn't be cost effective. If you do purchase gear, please do the yearly maintenance, and perhaps even more importantly, store it in a climate controlled spot after cleaning and drying it.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Thanks everyone for the recs. Keep them coming...

I hadn't given nitrox much thought but will definitely look into that during our trip. The more I read the more I'm definitely looking at buying my own gear (I feel like I would dive more if I had my own gear.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good dive shop in the Houston area to try different BCD and other gear?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Our trip is September 22-29. Really looking forward to clear water. I got my certification in what was pretty much a gravel pit.
dubi
AG
HUEY04 said:

Dubi, I'm a bit scared to ask about #7 on your list but do you have any recommendations for a dive camera setup that isn't $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$? I'm thinking more along the lines of $$...
I have a an Olympus TG4 with housing. Add on lights or strobes and you are looking at $1500 minimum.

GoPro is a great choice. Remember that you should NOT take really long videos; they are very hard to edit.
txyaloo
AG
FHKChE07 said:

Nitrox is also a no brainer. It is an online only class.
With what agency? I know PADI and am fairly sure NAUI, SDI, and TDI all make you come into the shop to at least analyze a tank. No dives are required anymore. The online only nitrox certification isn't accepted by a lot of dive ops.

Agree 100% with the value of nitrox.
txags92
AG
Yeah, with any kind of DSLR setup underwater you are easily talking 2 grand and up for housing, lens port, strobes, focus light, etc. For just good pictures and video underwater at an affordable price, go with a gopro setup. You won't win any photo contests with it, but you will have good quality pics and vids to show family and friends.
txags92
AG
Oh, and 100% agree on nitrox. They call it geezer gas, but for me, I definitely feel less fatigued and worn out after a 3 dive day on nitrox. Even without the bottom time advantage, i would use it just because I feel better at the end of the day.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Not sure how good of video you want, but I took this with a cheap knockoff GoPro. Yeah, could use one with a red lens for better color, but this worked for me.

LSB_2002
AG
mandevilleag said:

For a reasonably priced camera/video setup just go with a GoPro and some accessories from backscatter.com. The GoPro takes very good video and fairly good photos.

Back plates are definitely the way to go. For typical warm water dives where I just wear a skin, I don't even use weights. I carry two computers on my dives; a Shearwater Petral as my primary (I can see the screen in all conditions with this computer) and a Uwatec Galileo as backup. If one craps out I can continue with more dives that day. I dive as part of my job so am fortunate enough to have them purchase the gear.

If I were just diving a couple times a year, I'd rent. The cost of purchasing gear and maintaining it wouldn't be cost effective. If you do purchase gear, please do the yearly maintenance, and perhaps even more importantly, store it in a climate controlled spot after cleaning and drying it.
What GoPro edition would you suggest?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
ironmanag said:

Player To Be Named Later said:

Each to his own, but I have never understood this. You eat at restaurants right? You put the forks and spoons in your mouth. For all you know that person before you had herpes. Yet you still do it. Why? Because they are cleaned.

This guy has never been in a dive gear shed in bonaire

OP: Bonaire is my favorite place I've ever dove! Great fish and coral and relaxing attitude. Dive as much or as little as you want, learn to windsurf or kiteboard the afternoon before you fly out, hee-haw at the donkeys! Have fun!
mandevilleag
We're still using the GoPro Hero3, but I know they've updated since then. Still works well for my purposes.

I just looked at Backscatter and they have a GoPro Hero 5 for $300 and a Hero 6 for $400.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.