Outdoors
Sponsored by

Backpacking recomendations

1,232 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Charismatic Megafauna
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for thoughts on a backpacking trip route for next summer/fall. I've been to Colorado many trips in a row and are looking for something new. Some things I like are:
Easy access to water and hopefully fishing through out route
Ability to have a camp fire
About a 10-14 day route
Hopefully a fun mountain town to re supply in
Isolated, or at least the opertunity to have a few isolated days
Preferably mountains

I'm looking in us or even Canada

Here is last years trip I would love to replicate at a new location.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2886136
UTExan
The High Uintahs of Utah. Camp in the Mirror Lake area and base from there. You will be at about 10-12,000 feet altitude in a little known part of the Rockies. The range runs east-west inside the Rocky Mountain range. You are about 35-45 minutes from Park City and have spectacular views. There are numerous alpine lakes and you will see moose and elk. Just our favorite alpine area in the western US.
HSEAG13
Eastern sierras around mammoth lakes
RMC91
AG
LRHF
AG
The Uinta's are nice. Is California a no go? John Muir trail in Yosemite is a world class hike! Would also have others on the trail if you had an issue.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
agree with the John Muir trail, hiked the north half of it (Lake Merced edit, guess it was Thomas Edison to Yosemite) quite a while ago and it was amazing. Look into the Wind Rivers or Bob Marshall Wilderness for something really remote
BCOBQ98
AG
Was it just you and a buddy? I just day hiked a few trails in Alaska and really enjoyed it but as far as backing I'm below novice status. I would live to go on a trip with some more experienced people.
mandevilleag
In the mid to late 90's some buddies and I would hike every October into Cottonwood Lakes in the Eastern Sierras. The launch point is out Horseshoe Meadow just above Lone Pine (right at Mt. Whitney). This is in the Golden Trout Wilderness. It was only 6 - 8 miles I believe, but there are a lot of other trails you can take, even over New Army Pass (just to say you did it). It's beautiful country and the trout are very hungry in the lakes. Not sure what it's like now, but can't imagine it's changed much. I think Horseshoe Meadows is at 10,000' so you can acclimate a day before hiking into the High Sierras. I think Cottonwood is over 11,200'.

Edit to add a couple of links:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recarea/?recid=21878

https://goldentroutwilderness.wordpress.com/inyo-nf-trips/up-to-7-days/southern-meadows-loop/

https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/new-army-pass-sequoia-hike/

There's not a whole lot in Lone Pine, so if a more happening town to start from is important, then head up to Mammoth as an earlier poster mentioned. The trails will be much more well travelled up there too.
JSKolache
AG
Ozarks and/or Ouachitas - lots of trails, but generally not high or open enough for views
oldarmy76
Thanks for feedback and thoughts. I think Tahoe rim would be too crowded for me.
The winds or some of the eastern sierra stuff looks good. I personally don't like camping above tree line many nights in a row, and enjoy going through forests a decent amount of the time. The highline trail in the winds looks awesome, but looks like tons of time up high.
Any other suggestions?

Anyone done any of these?

https://www.explore-mag.com/35_of_Canadas_Longest_Hiking_Trails
mpl35
AG
Idaho centennial trail. I've never done - just read about it and listened to podcasts.

Highest point is 9k. So not too high. It's remoter than most in the lower 48. You can pick your own adventure and start where you want.

The best sections imo would be in:

"The ICT is located in the Sawtooth Wilderness, the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness and the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness for more than 300 miles (483 km). Within these areas the trail borders Middle Fork of the Salmon River and the Selway River. These rivers are both bestowed with the designation as National Wild and Scenic Rivers a designation due largely to Frank Church of whom one of Idaho's Wilderness areas is named.[5]

North of the Selway-Bitterroot, the trail hop-scotches along the Idaho-Montana border on the backbone of the Bitterroot Mountains for more than 85 miles (137 km) on high ridges. Dozens of high mountain lakes along this portion of the route will beckon angler and those who delight in scenery." - wiki
tbone94
AG
I highly recommend maroon bells. Goes from crested butte to aspen.
mpl35
AG
tbone94 said:

I highly recommend maroon bells. Goes from crested butte to aspen.

That isn't 10-14 days. Also probably no campfires.

I just did 3 days there. And it is beautiful.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I've done a good chunk of that, but it was a long time ago. The selway-biterroot and bob Marshall wilderness are really wild, we didn't see anyone for like 6 days

What about the north and east sections of the wonderland trail around mount Rainer? Might not have the mileage you're looking for but that part of the park is very remote
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.