Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mountain lion hunts

3,303 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ursusguy
AggieFabricator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've priced lion hunts from Idaho all the way to west Tx. Just curious if anyone has any insight on what they varying prices and places really mean. To me a mountain lion is a mountain lion, I understand you may get a slightly bigger one up north, but for a couple thousand dollars is it really worth it?
LEJ
I'd say that's a question only you can asnwer for yourself. I'd also say that you're not paying for a lion in this case. You're paying for a guide and that's why you have variety, just like with mechanics, fence builders and fishing guides
RCR06
AG
To me any situation where you're doing a guided hunt I would prefer to know someone who's been with that guide before or has such a widely known good reputation that everything you read recommends them. I'm guessing you are looking at going with a guide who has dogs. If it was me and I was doing this type of hunt when you factor in time off work, travel, cost of guide, lodging, food, etc. A thousand bucks isn't a whole lot for a better experience. Not to say that if you pay more it's automatically a better experience. Just wouldn't be a factor for me if I decided this is what I want to do and saved up the money.

I've seen two episodes of meateater where they chased cats for a week and didnt get one either time. I'd be looking at areas with higher numbers of cats(more opportunity) and a quality guide in that area. From reading and hearing people talk, hunting mountain lions is very challenging even with dogs. So I'd just want the best chance at getting one.

I know this isn't really what you asked about, but my take on it anyway.
Goodest Poster
AG
My opinion, price boils down to the reputation largely.

That reputation is built on success (or lack thereof).

I recommend Garett Smith with Hunt Alpha Outfitters in Utah. Outside of my once in a lifetime kill, the thing that impressed me was how hard they hunted. If the mountain required skis, or a General, or horses, or life threatening hikes- they were ready.

My group killed 5 Toms in a span of 8 days. That is impressive as hell.

Another difference is dog quality. You want to hunt guides with dogs that other guides pay stud fees to.

Last thing, mountains are the real deal. I dont want to ever be stranded on an unfamiliar mountain because I wanted to save money on a guide. If you do, please add my name to your advance directives before your trip.
Prune Tracy
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I booked one for this season in Idaho 2nd week of the season. In December. Can't wait!
Price is $6000. Still need tag.

Agreed with what was stated below. Book a trip with who has a good reputation. Saving $1500 on a hunt that could potentially have lower odds of killing a lion/elk/deer could mean the difference between bringing meat home or not!

Not sure if I want to use my bow or lever action yet
jrbaggie
Leon County Delta Waterfowl is about to have a special raffle for "hunts of a lifetime". About 10 premium hunts, including a Utah lion hunt, chance is $100 bucks but the winner gets to pick not one hunt, but two. Winner gets to take any combination of the hunts. Great opportunity for two hunting buddies to split it and go on a lifetime hunt together. I will post a copy of the brochure when it is complete. Hopefully by the end of the week.
O.G.
For one that is in the Mountains but not too terribly far away, contact Dirk Neal in Red River, NM.

His main office is on the site below but he has been guiding for lions and bear for years. I believe his lion hunts
are in NM and southern CO as well.

https://redriver.org/listings/red-river-stables-llc-dirk-neals-outfitting-service
ursusguy
AG
There should apparently be lion hunts galore in Collin County.

North Central NM has some really pretty cats.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.