Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dear jackass in the POS pickup on Peach Creek in CS

44,138 Views | 390 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by normaleagle05
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Perhaps it makes you feel like a man to intentionally run cyclists off the road. Your jackass mentality is going to end up getting someone killed someday. It's enough that people are killed by accident, but this kind of reckless behavior is ridiculous.

I promise you that next time you do this, you're going to get a rock through your windshield because I will be carrying one with me.

So, I was minding my business riding on the very edge of the road and I hear a horn blaring from about 30 yards behind me. I thought it was just a driver trying to give me the heads up. Then he came within 2 feet of me and tried to run me off the road. He was clearly a coward because when I beckoned him to stop and confronted him he sped off.

I simply do not understand the animosity that develops towards cyclists when you put an ******* in a pickup truck.

FWIW I drive a pick up. End of rant.
drummer0415
AG
1) he has no right to be a jackass or intentionally harm you. We are in agreement there.

2) cyclists on the road are annoying AF, ESPECIALLY when there is a perfectly good sidewalk 8 feet over. Gtfo the roads please. I don't think we are in agreement here.
Cancelled
AG
drummer0415 said:

1) he has no right to be a jackass or intentionally harm you. We are in agreement there.

2) cyclists on the road are annoying AF, ESPECIALLY when there is a perfectly good sidewalk 8 feet over. Gtfo the roads please. I don't think we are in agreement here.

1. Bicycles are not supposed to ride on the sidewalk...that's dangerous to pedestrians. Bicycles are vehicles.

2. It was a country road and there are no sidewalks.
txyaloo
AG
drummer0415 said:

Not saying I agree, but in most cities, it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk.
Cancelled
AG
txyaloo said:

drummer0415 said:

Not saying I agree, but in most cities, it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk.

Exactly.
rhoswen
AG
And OP wasn't even riding in town with a lot of traffic, just like the anti-cyclists wanted. Dude could have easily gone left to give a wide berth and gone about his business.
jtp01
AG
I've got no dog in this fight, but aren't bicycles supposed to ride against traffic? That is what I remember as a kid.

Seems to me it makes more sense for a bicycle to see what is coming at them vs never seeing it coming at all.
Your Friend
jtp01 said:

I've got no dog in this fight, but aren't bicycles supposed to ride against traffic? That is what I remember as a kid.

Seems to me it makes more sense for a bicycle to see what is coming at them vs never seeing it coming at all.

No. Runners run against traffic, cyclists ride with
Cancelled
AG
jtp01 said:

That's usually what we tell kids, but no that's not right.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
Bicycles want to be treated like cars with all of this "share the road" BS. That is except for stopping at stop signs, riding 3 abreast taking up the lanes, not using the proper turn signals, or stopping at red lights.

I have also never understood why you have to get so dressed up for such a simple activity.

That being said, running someone off the road isn't the way to come to a mutually agreeable solution. Neither is posting about it on the internet.
malenurse
AG
When the hell did this become Facebook?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
45-70Ag
AG
I love nothing more than when a group of cyclists take up half the road making it impossible to pass them without killing some.

Actually, i hate that and they should be single file and should have to stop in the grass when a car is coming from behind them.
Cancelled
AG
LBM-Aggie-2014 said:

Bicycles want to be treated like cars with all of this "share the road" BS. That is except for stopping at stop signs, riding 3 abreast taking up the lanes, not using the proper turn signals, or stopping at red lights.

I have also never understood why you have to get so dressed up for such a simple activity.

That being said, running someone off the road isn't the way to come to a mutually agreeable solution. Neither is posting about it on the internet.

1. I stop at redights/signs and obey all the laws. I would imagine that most cyclists do. If they don't, they should be ticketed.

2. I wear regular shorts, a T-shirt and a helmet. I'm the same way, I see all these dudes wearing raving jerseys etc. it's kind of like my buddies that go stand hunting with me and they wear full camo while I'm in jeans and a shirt.

3. Maybe it's it constructive to post about it, but it releases a bit of anger and hopefully someone who thinks this is a good idea will put some thought in too their future actions.
IslandAg76
AG
Quote:

Go ride a bike, other than a Schwinn fat tire bike to the corner and back and you'll see the need for some of the clothing. Now-do you "need" a colorful shirt with a Tour de France team logo on it..probably not but, so what.

So, your solution-besides posting on the internet and hopefully making others aware is what?

Here is a video of one of the A-Holes...2 lane highway and biker is far right, on the shoulder--absolutely no reason to do this other than 1-stupid, 2-A-Hole or 3-head up butt

https://www.galvnews.com/opinion/editorials/article_c481c848-51ac-5fee-babe-ce7c277145c0.html
mpl35
AG
LBM-Aggie-2014 said:

Yep. All for being treated like a vehicle except at lights or stop lights. Or yielding right of way on trails.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
I would say that a solution would be to allow bicycles to ride on the sidewalk. There are far more cars that are interrupted by bikes than pedestrians. I can count on one hand how many people I've seen walking on the sidewalk this week.
Caladan
A few things to point out to the uninformed:

1. Bicycles are considered to be a vehicle. It is illegal to operate a vehicle on the sidewalk, unless there are signs specifically directing a bicyclist onto the sidewalk.

2. Bicycles ride in the same direction of traffic flow as motorized vehicles. This is because traffic about to enter the roadway will look to the left for oncoming traffic in the near lane, and to the right for oncoming traffic in the far lane. If bicycles were ridden in the left lane, then persons in vehicles about to enter the roadway will be looking in the opposite direction of the oncoming bicyclist. This causes accidents. Uniformity in travel direction causes less accidents.

3. The law allow bicyclists to travel two abreast. Sadly, and to the detriment of many cyclists, many don't do this. Sadly, many bicyclists don't obey many traffic laws, although they are supposed to. This is the reason why I don't ride with other people any more.

4. The clothing is to prevent chafing during repetitive motion. If you don't do hours of repetitive motion, then you will never understand this. The colorful nature of bicycling clothing is partially of a safety nature.
Cancelled
AG
LBM-Aggie-2014 said:

I would say that a solution would be to allow bicycles to ride on the sidewalk. There are far more cars that are interrupted by bikes than pedestrians. I can count on one hand how many people I've seen walking on the sidewalk this week.

What do you propose at intersections? Should the cyclist ride through the intersection to cross from one sidewalk to the next? I think that would be more dangerous than the rider going with the flow of traffic.

Nevertheless, I think we are getting away from the topic at hand. That is, whether or not a cyclist should ride in the sidewalk is immaterial to an ******* committing assault with a potentially deadly weapon. Accidents happen all the time and there may be ways of preventing them by ensuring cyclists follow the law. But, that's really not what I'm talking about. This wasn't a negligent action...it was deliberate.
ratfacemcdougal
Posting does help to educate some of the people about traffic laws like the post above that thought bikes were supposed to ride against traffic. Cyclists are generally required to ride to the right as far as reasonable. Cyclists can be pulled over and receive tickets for violations of the law...including not signaling, not stopping at stop signs / stop lights. There are bad cyclists, bad bikers, and bad passenger vehicle drivers and bad truck drivers. At 5 different exits from south cs to north bryan people exited from the left lane. This almost feels like the norm these days. I was riding in a bike lane the other day and a couple of weiners threw a half full sonic drink at my head. No matter when, where, what or why...butt heads will always be butt heads.
jtp01
AG
Your Friend said:

jtp01 said:

No. Runners run against traffic, cyclists ride with

Fair enough. I guess when you are taught something at a young age, it sticks. I guess I learned something today!
DatTallArchitect
AG
Why do cyclists tend to pick roads without a shoulder they could safely ride in?
EMY92
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Why do cyclists tend to pick roads without a shoulder they could safely ride in?
Road with shoulders are usually much busier.
AggieOO
DatTallArchitect said:

Why are some people so impatient that they feel the need to not treat a certain group of people like fellow humans, simply bc they are on a bike and inconvenience them for a whole 30 seconds?

I should know better than to bother posting on a cycling thread on the OB board. Im sure the next thing that will get posted is categorizing all cyclists based on a few who run a stop sign or something similar, while completely ignoring that their fellow motorists break laws while driving all the time.
AggieOO
Oh, and then the, "you don't pay taxes or have a license to ride a bike" argument.
BrazosDog02
AG
Are we still on page 1?

If so, PAGE 1.

Now for MY rant. I live on nothing bu FM roads for most of my travel into town, next to asshats driving 55mph or slower in places its hard for me to pass, cyclists are the worst.

I get it that you can't ride on the sidewalk. Cool. There is no sidewalk.

I get that you can't ride on the shoulder. Cool. There is no shoulder.

Personally, I have nearly brushed many cyclists due to their unwillingness to move over or stay over. I can squeeze my F250 through an 8' wide toll booth. The road is PLENTY WIDE guys. It's dangerous. Physics is not on your side and I'm not crossing the center line and risking my vehicle, family, horses because a cyclist is stubborn. MOST are good about moving over, some just act like they don't feel like they should...and that's fine. Not the hill I choose to die on, but whatever.

We had an incident in waller county not long ago where someone had finally had enough of this on some back roads and he did run over some cyclists. On purpose. Snagged a group of them. People died. It's not safe.

My suggestion is to find safer places for you to ride or you better make those damn bikes really GD skinny, kids.

DatTallArchitect
AG
AggieOO said:

DatTallArchitect said:

Why are some people so impatient that they feel the need to not treat a certain group of people like fellow humans, simply bc they are on a bike and inconvenience them for a whole 30 seconds?

I should know better than to bother posting on a cycling thread on the OB board. Im sure the next thing that will get posted is categorizing all cyclists based on a few who run a stop sign or something similar, while completely ignoring that their fellow motorists break laws while driving all the time.
I live in Arkansas where roads are almost all curvy, so I get stuck behind them sometimes for up to 20-30 minutes. While I do get behind groups riding 2-3 wide, I never see them on the roads with shoulders they could ride on. So back to my question, why do they do this. I don't buy the busier argument, since there is a lot less traffic on the shoulder than in the lanes of these roads without shoulders.
KenAg06
AG
EMY92 said:

DatTallArchitect said:

Road with shoulders are usually much busier.

Which is fine if you are on the shoulder. Require registration and insurance and bikes can share the road...assuming they can maintain the speed limit.
AggieOO
I know I shouldn't reply, but 20-30 mins is a gross exaggeration, even on a super curvy road. There's simply no way I believe this.
DG96
AG
I don't think cycling just for exercise or enjoyment should be allowed on roads. If you have to get to work or something similar that is fine.
If you want exercise go mountain biking or use a stationary bike.
Potcake
AG
Holy crap, you're smarter when you aren't on OR.
DW91AG95
AG
I have always thought it extremely stupid that people on bicycles going 5-30mph are legal and need to be treated like any other motorized vehicle but don't you dare ride a 4 wheeler, ranger or golf cart on that road!!

I cannot understand the desire to get out on a road riding a 10lb bike where vehicles that weigh tons are traveling. I don't ever wish harm on anyone but I have a hard time feeling sorry whenever a bicyclist gets injured.
BrazosDog02
AG
AggieOO said:

I know I shouldn't reply, but 20-30 mins is a gross exaggeration, even on a super curvy road. There's simply no way I believe this.
You should live where the MS150 runs.
DatTallArchitect
AG
AggieOO said:

No, it isn't. It's easy to be the 5th or 6th car behind the group sticking out in the road with very few opportunities to pass. Come spend some time in Northern Arkansas and you'll see why.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Not for running over anyone.

But if you can't go at the speed of the traffic, gtfo the road. You don't belong there.
cupofjoe04
AG
LBM-Aggie-2014 said:

I don't ride, no dog in this fight. But we all do this to some extent.

Why do we need Columbia shirts, face masks, and fishing pants?

Why do we need 6 different types of pistols?

Why do we need the newest pattern of matching camo?

Why do we need 12 different colors to choose from for AR furniture?

Why do we need lift kits, rims, and tires for a truck that drives just fine?

Why do need 55 different lures, 12 poles, and a $50,000 boat to catch a bass?

Don't get me started on golf... I could go on and on. We can all justify any one or two of these, while dismissing the rest as frivolous. I don't understand why people need to wear tight shorts, brightly colored shirts with logos, and have clip in shoes to ride a bike. But as long as they understand it... more power to them.

They probably don't understand why I need 5 different sanders, a variety of gouges and scrapers, and 20 different grits of sandpaper in different styles.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.