Outdoors
Sponsored by

Backpack cooler recommendations

2,543 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by the gambler
tclub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That won't break the bank? Thx!
HvilleAggie
AG
Define "breaking the bank"?

Consider your options, then buy an IceMule
ought1ag
AG
I have an Ice Mule and kinda wish I would have waited for something else.

Pro
collapsible (just packed it in my suitcase on my recent trip to Vegas)
at the time was one of the cheapest
not a Yeti
you could probably ice a head down pretty easy while your on the way to the taxidermist

Con
will only hold ice for about 1/2 day
doesn't sit up right very easily
not a Yeti

I mainly use it for floating the frio, 1/2 day fishing trips and icing down beers in any hotels that dont have a mini fridge.
LEJ
I have an ice mule for kayak fishing, but a half day on holding ice is about right esp if you're in and out of it. I usually freeze multiple small water bottles and use those along with regular cubed ice.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Polar bear
DeBoss
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Polar bear
Definitely this one. Has lots of storage in a backpack form. Can hold an 18 pack, trust me.
hurricanejake02
AG
You guys with the IceMules - which model did you get?

I've got the 23L Pro model, and I add air through the valve when I load it up, and always leave at least half a bag of ice (in the bag) on top of everything that's loaded in the cooler. I typically still have some ice left the next morning.

It's a little tougher to grab something specific out of the bottom when you're digging under the bag of ice, but it seems to hold temp better.
MrJonMan
AG
I know RTIC has or had a backpack cooler but I have zero first hand knowledge of it
dragons06
AG
Just got the IceMule Pro for father's day. I like it so far, but wish I had seen the Polar Bear since the only thing IceMule is missing is the extra storage compartments.
Signel
AG
I've been happy with the ones at costco. I got the rolling cooler and the backpack.

https://www.costco.com/California-Innovations-Ultra-24-Can-Backpack-Cooler.product.100419353.html
AgFan85
S
polarbear coolers is running 20% off with code FIREWORKS2018
Double G
I do not have any first hand knowledge of use, but I was in the RTIC store last week and they had several of the back pack versions in the 50% off rack, so around $95.00.
TacosaurusRex
Bought the Rtic backpack below. This is one of the greatest inventions for all redneck activities. NASCAR, the river, the lake, the lease, and camping. Its perfect for all of it. Careful though, the next morning after first use I woke up surrounded by Lone Star cans, an American Eagle tattooed on my a**, and married to and divorced a girl named Bobbi Sue.

For real though...
Pros:
Huge- can fit 40 beers and 20lbs of ice
Awesome quality- straps are soft and comfortable. Has the chest and waist straps to help with the weight when filled.
Can be used as an (mostly) dry bag. As long as the lid flap is really tight.
It floats

Cons:
I wish it had an additional pocket on the outside
It's big, and isn't collapsible
Would be nice if it had a drain plug, something like the mouthpiece on a camel pack would be great on the bottom corner.

As long as the lid is shut tight it holds 20 lbs of ice for about 24 hours in the shade, much less if sitting in the back of the truck or on river rocks in the sun.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/back-pack/Back-Pack-Cooler-Grey
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
tclub
Thx for all the recs. I'm researching the polar bear and like it and the price. There's 2 different packs for the same price. Which do y'all recommend? Nylon solar bear or polar bear nylon? They look the same to me. I'll be using it for road trips, the beach and friends pool parties.
aggiepublius
AG
Double G said:

I do not have any first hand knowledge of use, but I was in the RTIC store last week and they had several of the back pack versions in the 50% off rack, so around $95.00.
Not meaning to hijack - but did they have any of the hard side coolers on the scratch and dent "rack" at their RTIC store?
tclub
Double G said:

I'd love to get this but live in dfw. That's a great deal though. I saw them at buccees for $189
LEJ
hurricanejake02 said:

You guys with the IceMules - which model did you get?

I've got the 23L Pro model, and I add air through the valve when I load it up, and always leave at least half a bag of ice (in the bag) on top of everything that's loaded in the cooler. I typically still have some ice left the next morning.

It's a little tougher to grab something specific out of the bottom when you're digging under the bag of ice, but it seems to hold temp better.
I got the medium... 15L I think. I use it on the kayak. I guess my fish are too big to have a whole half of a bag o ice.
Double G
No hard sided in the scratch and dent. They did have the 20,30&40 can soft packs though
Bigballin
AG
+1 for the polar beer and that it can hold 18 lites with some ice no problem
malenurse
AG
WTF is carrying a backpack with 40 beers and 20 lbs of ice?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
DeBoss
AG
I have the nylon solar because it sits in the sun a lot at the pool. Never had any problems. Just need to get the big sheet freezer packs instead of normal ones because it will fit better.
bdgol07
AG
Any new intel from anyone else before I pull the trigger on the Polar Bear Nylon Backpack?
oldag941
AG
I have this one from Bucees and love it.

https://www.aocoolers.com/coolers/hunter-series/18-pack-mossy-oak-backpack-cooler.html
the gambler
I have the Polar Bear nylon and have been very satisfied. Has gone to Minnesota with me on multiple occasions to bring back fish. Does the job... keeps fish frozen for 12-14 hours with just a frozen ice pack in it. Easy to carry.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.