Outdoors
Sponsored by

Found an arrowhead yesterday

2,410 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WestAustinAg
SanAntoneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My heart soars like a hawk to think that it put meat on a fire for some hungry Comanches hunting on horseback or maybe an Apache hunter who snuck up on a mammal worthy of a meal. Probably made a perfect shot right behind the shoulder and his people ate well that day.

Strange how what is now Texas has changed in the past few hundred years.

Gifted by an American Indian on June 23, 2018, eastern Edwards County, Texas.

Have the strange urge to watch Little Big Man. A great western and also political film, due another thread another day.

Gig 'em! '90
NW80
AG
Probably predates the Comanches by many years.
NW80
AG
Nice point though!
Build It
AG
A few thousand years before horses
FIDO 96
AG
That's awesome. Congrats
normaleagle05
AG
NW80 said:

Probably predates the Comanches by many years.

Speculation based on the odds or opinion based on your knowledge of lithic reduction analysis?

Although, if anyone on this board has studied the development of the technology for cutting on people...
normaleagle05
AG
Build It said:

The history of equidae in North American is more complex than that.
SanAntoneAg
AG
The only problem with snake women is that they couplate with horses. Which is strange to me.

Chief Lodge Skins
Gig 'em! '90
NW80
AG
I stand corrected!
I sent the pic to a friend of mine in Alpine who's studied points for years.
He said " ..... looks like a preform, not a finished product. Most likely 3-600 yrs old."
So, I was wrong it is a "historic " era point not "archaic."
Congrats, you were right on who may have made it. It just never was finished, ergo not used.
45-70Ag
AG
Cool find.
Bird Dog
AG
Horse riding Comanches, and basically all Indians we think of when imagining "cowboys and Indians" used metal arrowheads.
So, most stone arrowheads predate white men.
Badace52
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Build It said:

The history of equidae in North American is more complex than that.
This...

Look into it. It is interesting. Equidae and Camelids are both believed to have crossed over to Eurasia over the Bering Strait after evolving in North and South America. All members of Equidae in the Americas died off before their re-introduction by European settlers in historic times. Camelids survive today in South America in the form of the vicuna (believed to be the wild predecessor of alpacas) and the guanaco (believed to be the wild predecessor of llamas).
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Smithjg
My Uncles best friend and his wife own property just out of Victoria on the Guadalupe. Years ago, She was getting her nails done one day and overheard another woman discussing arrowheads that had been delivered in a load of gravel they had ordered.

When she asked who had delivered the gravel, she picked up her phone and called her husband, telling him to stop any further shipments. When they went to the property, and looked around, where the heavy equipment had been digging, there were arrowheads and artifacts everywhere.

They contacted a local geologist and the archeological departments at Texas A&M and t.u. A dig was began and it turned out to be one of the oldest sites in North America. It is incredible, they found tools, pottery, & a grave yard. Their collection is on loan to the museum of the Gulf Coast at Victoria College for now.

I've been there a few times and took my daughter, who has always been interested in archeology. She was in heaven hanging out and learning from those guys. A few years ago, she participated in a dig in Belize for a couple of months and they made some very interesting finds.....

If there is one arrowhead there, there are more. Keep looking
WestAustinAg
AG
That is my dream...to find an arrow head in western travis county...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.