Outdoors
Sponsored by

Windmills

1,959 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Broba Fett
chocolatelabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Talk to me about windmills.

We sold our family land in the panhandle to a good Ag. Dad told me that my grandmother bought a windmill in the 70's and it never got put up. It's been in crates in the barn for 30+ years, and I had forgotten all about it.

I haven't seen it but I think it is blades, motor etc.

I want to set it up just for fun and not actually use it. to expensive to actually drill a well.

What would it cost to get a tower and I assume that I would have to hire someone to set it up even if it doesn't actually pump.

Anyone know what this would take to do?

TIA
Log
AG
How many Ags does it take.........
fightingfarmer09
The tops are very heavy which makes getting it upright the most difficult part.
bearamedic99
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

that's what she said
Deerdude
Easiest way is for well driller to stand up tower and then raise motor and finally the fan. Absent that, the tower can be raised with a tractor and pickup on the backside, and then use a gin pole rig tied to the tower to raise motor. It ain't easy, but I've done it.
Burdizzo
AG
Is the water table high enough for a windmill to pull water?
ElGoatarod
AG
I have no idea what it would cost to accomplish this, but I believe it's a worthy venture. We built one for our community training farm awhile back Seeing it in the distance and hearing it groan reminded me just how much I love windmills. I'm thinking of building another one and putting it in the front yard (no water well) just so I can sit on the porch and watch it turn.
EskimoJoe
It would be a good idea to drill a well and get it pumping (a lot of them around here are cheap sand points) . Then you can learn how to change out leathers and pour babit, and be part of a small group trying to save a lost art.

On second thought, being from the 70s, yours is probably new enough that it doesn't use babit bearings but will still have leathers to change in the pump.
txags92
AG
My FIL lives out near Boerne and uses one for his primary water supply pulling water from a formation ~350- 400 feet down. He pumps to a 3000 gallon tank and has a small pressure tank to feed the house from there. He also has a set of solar panels that provides more power than he uses during most times of the year. Having a windmill to get your water to the surface is a great SHTF tool to make sure you will have clean water to drink if the grid goes down.
Deerdude
ElGoatarod said:

I have no idea what it would cost to accomplish this, but I believe it's a worthy venture. We built one for our community training farm awhile back Seeing it in the distance and hearing it groan reminded me just how much I love windmills. I'm thinking of building another one and putting it in the front yard (no water well) just so I can sit on the porch and watch it turn.
Nothing like the quiet of the country broken by the creaking and popping of a windmill.
CanyonAg77
AG
If it's an Aeromotor, go for it. If it's a Dempster, sell it for scrap now and save the intermediate steps.
Ragoo
AG
If your name is Don, stay away.
Broba Fett
fightingfarmer09 said:

Heavy uptops...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.