Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bamboo is outdoors

2,301 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Log
bullagg61
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a rental property in College Station overrun with bamboo. I was going to just cut it all down and trash it, but then I read people will come cut it down for free for their own use or that I could even sell it. Anybody have experience with this? I'm not looking to make a business out of it, but if I can get rid of it without having to do it myself that'd be nice.
YogiBeers
AG
I'm interested. Free bump.
Oruc Reis
AG
W TX Refugee
AG
Don't know the answer, but It will come back as it is the spawn of Satan. Just had to use a bobcat to totally get rid of ours (knock on wood) after an 8 year battle.
45-70Ag
AG
A guy at work planted some at his place
He's now wishing he didn't
halfastros81
AG
I had some giant bamboo and I cut it into foot long pieces and pointed one end and made tree borders with it. Worked out pretty well. The smaller diameter denser stuff is pretty tough to get rid off . I would think people might have uses for it but I dunno how you'd find them

nonameag99
Post free bamboo add on Craigslist
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
normaleagle05
AG
nonameag99 said:

Post free bamboo add on Craigslist

And expect a bunch of responses asking how much less you'll take for it.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
You could go feed a panda.
Log
AG
Bamboo is a grass. Grass doesn't like Roundup. Cut bamboo off at ground level. Immediately spray "stumps" with Roundup. Strip cut canes of leaves. Enjoy lifetime supply of tomato stakes. Respray the survivors stumps as needed.
JYDog90
AG
my brother in law has planted bamboo on my in-laws ranch. He heard that it was great as a wind block and the cows would eat it.

I told him that I've never heard of anyone planting bamboo, I mostly hear of people killing bamboo, that it'll take over quickly. I think he secretly has a desire to be the official bamboo provider for the Dallas Zoo.
RickSawyer
AG
I've been fighting a losing battle with bamboo for five years now. Even with roundup it's tough. Best way to terminate in my opinion is to actually dig out all the root system. Painstaking but the only way I have been able to really prevent it from returning. I would live it if someone had a better idea...
80sGeorge
AG
Find a Fiji and see if they'll send the entire pledge class over to cut it as decorations for island party.
Burrus86
AG
Punji Sticks for making booby traps. If you read the Politics Board, civil war is coming. Take only gold for payment, though.
TacosaurusRex
80sGeorge said:

Find a Fiji and see if they'll send the entire pledge class over to cut it as decorations for island party.

This was my suggestion too. Sigma Nu used to use bamboo for their big fall party. Have the pledge class come over and haul it off.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
Oogway
I use it to make trellises and such for my garden. Maybe you could cut and dry it in 6+ foot sections and barter with a gardener. They sell it at the big box stores for a couple of dollars.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Start making fly rods.
Gig 'em! '90
dubi
AG
You realize "just say no" to bamboo is the only unanimous thread ever posted on Texags?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Log said:

Bamboo is a grass. Grass doesn't like Roundup. Cut bamboo off at ground level. Immediately spray "stumps" with Roundup. Strip cut canes of leaves. Enjoy lifetime supply of tomato stakes. Respray the survivors stumps as needed.

In my experience, bamboo can't be effectively controlled by RoundUp. Those rhizomes don't skip a beat on sending up new shoots. I had a year long battle with a backyard full on bamboo at a rental property we own. Cutting with a machete or reciprocating saw, then painting the stumps with Tordon RTU* provided about 95% kill on first treatment. I later used a mini skid steer to dig up the dead stumps.

*dont spray Tordon. The residual has a long soil life, will move down hill with rain/ground water and take out desirable trees.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1123958
Log
AG
That's why you chop it to the ground, then continually spray any new tender growth with Roundup.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.