Outdoors
Sponsored by

Breckenridge Vaca Recs

1,773 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
ldg397
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed near breckenridge second week of July will be there a week. Any recommendation on fun things to do?

Especially recs on guides for fly fishing that would be good with family. Wife and daughter(9) both want to go.
Brush Country
Spend a day at the brewery. Yep, the whole day.
76Ag
AG
Are you visiting the oil fields? Why go to Stephens County this time of year?
NW80
AG
Hubbard Creek Lake is pretty enticing!!!
Might run over to Albany and visit the "Old Jail!"
ldg397
AG
Breckenridge Colorado!
NW80
AG
Tourist trap!!!
Go to Breckinridge, TX!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kid will like the Peak 8 fun park. The alpine slides are a blast. Get there when it opens and the wait to ride the slides is short. Ride them until you are sick of them, then go do the other stuff in the park once the crowd builds and the line for the slides gets longer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Also, rafting with AVA. We did this 2 years ago. Guides were fantastic. Multiple options from something more challenging to a 2-3 hour family float, all within an hour of Breck. Location depends on the type of float you're looking for but they have a lot to choose from (easy, medium, challenging, half day, all day, multiple day, etc)
TexasAg21
I'm in Breck right now. Just got back from hiking Quandry Peak. If y'all like hiking, it is a fantastic, although pretty difficult hike. Some kids made it to the summit who were probably around 12 years old. So, maybe too difficult for your kid. But going two thirds up is pretty great too.

3,000 ft elevation gain over 3 miles
End at 14,265 feet
DannyDuberstein
AG
Speaking of altitude, as you may know, Breck has the highest resort elevation in CO and altitude sickness is common. It can take down the fittest of folks. So make sure everyone is hydrating a week in advance, and as far as activities requiring some level exertion, always a good idea to plan them for the middle or latter part of your stay vs the beginning.
ldg397
AG
TexasAg21 said:

I'm in Breck right now. Just got back from hiking Quandry Peak. It y'all like hiking, it is a fantastic, although pretty difficult hike. Some kids made it to the summit who were probably around 12 years old. So, maybe too difficult for your kid. But going two thirds up is pretty great too.

End at 14,265 feet

She is a gymnast in terrific shape so she might not be the issue!

I don't know, never been much of a hiker for hiking sake. Now you let me carry a pack and a rifle and tell me what we are after I can hike just about anywhere.
TexasAg21
Haha. I completely understand that!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
6 or so years ago, The War Department and myself took the 2 hour walk and wade trip with Breckenridge Outfitters. They were great. Rigged us out entirely, was a nice trip and the guide was fantastic. Fished a small stream and had plenty of action. The only regret now is not making it a half day or doing a float trip. I was very pleased with the coordination and service.

The guide was very patient and informative, he even had a waiter job in the evening and we went to the restaurant that night. Gave us a lot of feedback of the area. I think they would be great for wifey and daughter.
AG
We also did several hikes in the area, lots to choose from. Also did a rafting trip that was fun, but the year we went it was very low water. Still a good trip, but not a lot of white water. Don't remember which company we used, but I think we went out of the Buena Vista area.

No issues with altitude sickness for the whole crew.
tmtxco
AG
Since it's the outdoors board, +1 on Quandary Peak. It's close to Breck and the trailhead is easy to get to. Grays and Torreys are also nearby and easy to do, but the road is pretty rough. More info on routes and details at 14ers.com. If you do go up there, be sure and drink (and bring) plenty of water. Fitness is great, but you still never know how everyone will handle 14,000+ feet.

Our kids really enjoyed the adventure park above the town. Hold on to your wallet, because it's pricey but isn't most everything there. Our kids really enjoyed the alpine slide, too. As mentioned, go early in the day. We went after lunch one time and they shut a lot of the park down due to the usual afternoon lightning and rain showers.

There are plenty of hiking/running trails on both sides of town. A great way to get out in the afternoon and minimize crowds.

A little thing that our kids like is to eat lunch in the one gondola car inside the Whole Foods near Frisco.

Our family (me, wife, 7-year old, and 10-year old) lives in Estes Park / RMNP area half of the year. If you or any other Ags are in town, just let me know.
AgLA06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Kid will like the Peak 8 fun park. The alpine slides are a blast. Get there when it opens and the wait to ride the slides is short. Ride them until you are sick of them, then go do the other stuff in the park once the crowd builds and the line for the slides gets longer.

Or go during the middle of the week and it doesn't matter. If you aren't staying at Peak 7 or Peak 8, park in town and ride the gondolas. They're free and run 9am until 6pm. If you park at the Gondolas, the parking cost is credited towards Peak 8 passes. Be very careful on the slide (not the coaster). It isn't built the same as the similar slides the resort has at other locations (Park City, etc). The amount of people that fell off and got fiberglass burns was astronomical.

Get your passes online or at the Gondola station and bypass the really long line to get in. We walked (just at the north end of the resort) back to the Peak 8 (Grand Colorado) and ate lunch at Robbie's Tavern instead of messing with the mess that was eating at the ski resort. I would recommend it.

We literally just got back today from a week in Breckenridge. We rented a house in the mountains just south of town in Blue River.

I'd caution taking the family fly fishing if they aren't proficient fly fishers. Breckenridge is peak fly snob. I talked with both shops in town multiple times as my dad wanted to go fishing for Father's day. In the end we went on Dillon Reservoir and had a blast catching rainbows, browns, and the local landlocked salmon. Caught enough for the entire extended family to eat for dinner.

By the way, watch the weather. It would get much warmer in the afternoons than expected because you're much closer than the sun. Nice and cool at night though.

If you have any specific questions just ask.
AgLA06
AG
ldg397 said:

TexasAg21 said:

I'm in Breck right now. Just got back from hiking Quandry Peak. It y'all like hiking, it is a fantastic, although pretty difficult hike. Some kids made it to the summit who were probably around 12 years old. So, maybe too difficult for your kid. But going two thirds up is pretty great too.

End at 14,265 feet

She is a gymnast in terrific shape so she might not be the issue!

I don't know, never been much of a hiker for hiking sake. Now you let me carry a pack and a rifle and tell me what we are after I can hike just about anywhere.

If you're thinking about heading south to Quandary Peak, keep going another ten minutes to the continental divide (Hoosier pass I think). The views are straight out of the sound of music). Especially at the little scenic viewing area just over the pass. We didn't do it, but supposedly the trail up there is easier and more scenic than Quandary.
DannyDuberstein
AG
We did go mid-week, but it was mid-July so it may have been getting more traffic overall. They don't even open the fun oark until almost mid June. And it's not like it got crazy crowded. Just that in those first couple of hours, you could ride the lift and get in a slide pretty much nonstop vs having to do some waiting by midday
JYDog90
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

However, like others have said, hold onto your wallet, it's about $80/person.

fun day.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It is pricey, although in the grand scheme of what I've paid for certain activities while on vacation, not bad at all. Pretty much every vacation golf green fee I've ever paid was more. Dont get too many chances to cruise down 2500-3000 feet of mountain. The nice thing about Breck is there is a lot you can do for little $$$. Leaves room for a couple of splurges.
AgLA06
AG
To keep the cost down we got the kids all inclusive bands and just got the adults three ride bands. That was plenty for us as we got to take the kids on multiple coaster / slide rides and they got to do the tube slide, and all the kid stuff we couldn't do any way as much as they wanted. Put put golf and such we just walked with them and they were happy.

If you go, take a couple of large golf umbrellas because there is NO shade in the kid activity area and the sun at 11000' feet is brutal during the summer.
ldg397
AG
We are staying in a house in Alma south of Breckenridge.
AgLA06
AG
ldg397 said:

We are staying in a house in Alma south of Breckenridge.

You'll go over the continental divide to get there.
JYDog90
AG
AgLA06 said:

If you go, take a couple of large golf umbrellas because there is NO shade in the kid activity area and the sun at 11000' feet is brutal during the summer.

I meant to post that. Lather up the entire day and there ain't a lick of shade out there.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
We are staying at One Ski Hill July 1 - 8 with a college aged son and a high school aged son. Want to fly fish for sure - are there any resident Ag guides in Breck?
AgLA06
AG
willie wonka said:

AgLA06 said:

I meant to post that. Lather up the entire day and there ain't a lick of shade out there.

I put sunscreen on 4+ times in that 6 hour span and it wasn't enough.

I'd also recommend everyone have a backpack. It was great to have a place to put the layers we shedded as the temperature climbed and we always kept bottles of water, sunscreen, umbrellas, etc.. most people around town had them.
AG
AgLA06 said:

willie wonka said:

AgLA06 said:

I put sunscreen on 4+ times in that 6 hour span and it wasn't enough.

I'd also recommend everyone have a backpack. It was great to have a place to put the layers we shedded as the temperature climbed and we always kept bottles of water, sunscreen, umbrellas, etc.. most people around town had them.
We got a really nice hail storm in late June on our hike, crouched under trees while it passed. Great idea on backpacks, you need to be ready for a lot of different things up there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.