Outdoors
Sponsored by

Web Worms - How to Treat?

3,174 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yellerjacket
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It seems that we have a pretty bad outbreak of web worms (especially on pecan trees and really just crawling everywhere) right now on our property. I've never treated them before. Can someone please advise me on what to do to treat them (i.e. what chemical to spray them with and where I can pick some up)?
SteveBott
AG
I use a limb trimmer and poke holes in the web. Once their defense is compromised wasps get them. Not sure that would help your situation
MemphisAg1
AG
For heights you can reach with a gallon sprayer (use a stream instead of a mist), Malathion mixed in the tank works well. Wear safety glasses and a mask, and don't apply when it's windy.
SunrayAg
AG
You might check with local extension to see what is working in your area.

But, Blackhawk or some other Spinosad should get good control and that is a very safe chemistry.

As mentioned earlier Malathion would also be good, but be more careful with it.
Ag12thman
AG
Appreciate it. I think I have some malathon, actually.
zooguy96
Fire!
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Ag12thman
AG
I kinda want to keep my trees and house.
zooguy96
zooguy96
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
For the top ones, try a good pressure fitting on your hose. Bust that web open and let the wasps feast.
Shoefly!
AG
Just for safety's sake wear a breathing mask too. You never know.
Reel Aggies
AG
Thuricide sprayed on works real well. Won't harm the birds, just kills any caterpillars. It is a liquid formulation of Bt. Had 10 pecan trees in our yard in Terrell Hills in SA and it worked like a champ.
Ag12thman
AG
Definitely. Thanks.
Ag12thman
AG
Where can I get thuricide?
fightingfarmer09
Spinosad (Blackhawk) is very safe and has moderate knockdown. Better option than BT.
cadetjay02
AG
I literally used fire last year when I dealt with them in my pecan last year. They were up high so I attached an old rag to my chimney sweep pole, lit the rag on fire, then used it to set the webs on fire. Adios Mofos.
MemphisAg1
AG
cadetjay02 said:

I literally used fire last year when I dealt with them in my pecan last year. They were up high so I attached an old rag to my chimney sweep pole, lit the rag on fire, then used it to set the webs on fire. Adios Mofos.
Shoefly!
AG
This is good stuff, never thought about this with webs, but I have used fire with bees, red wasp & yellow jacket's. Thank's T
B-1 83
AG
Reel Aggies said:

Thuricide sprayed on works real well. Won't harm the birds, just kills any caterpillars. It is a liquid formulation of Bt. Had 10 pecan trees in our yard in Terrell Hills in SA and it worked like a champ.
This. If you have a commercial sprayer do it, be sure to add some zinc for tree health.
Reel Aggies
AG
Any garden supply store.
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks y'all.
Ag_07
AG
Bifen in a sprayer

That shlt kills everything
guyace
If outside the city limits a .410 and #6 shot works well. If inside the city limits a BB gun works to poke holes into web nicely.
jtp01
AG
My papaw always used fire. Then again, he probably used fire in more situations than actually needed.
zooguy96
Fire is always the right answer.
ratfacemcdougal
BT....every time I go to Ace and ask their old man bug guy what to use, he always says BT. It constipates the worm, then they blow up! Worked well on the Mountain Laurel.
Ag12thman
AG
I guess I can find BT at my local Ag & Ranch store, most likely? There is no local Ace where I live.
Yellerjacket
cadetjay02 said:

Haven't dealt with them as an adult, but always helped my granddad as a kid. Used old newspaper on the end of a long pole. Burned forever and torched many webs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.