Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone ever hunt in Pennsylvania??

1,517 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieChemist
AnScAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are moving our son into his dorm this weekend at Penn St. and I'd like to at least understand what he needs to do to hunt up here before we leave. I've been to two stores that sold guns and the persons there were less informed than me.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Got a buddy that does a fair bit of hunting up there. Lots of public land, you have to walk in and evidently the further you walk, the better your chance for success.
Superfreak
AG
http://www.pgc.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx
drmwvr
AG
https://gsellswhitetails.com/
WhoopN06
Oh my.
CactusThomas
AG
Slide action rifles seem to be popular up there. I don't think they hunt from blinds like many do in TX. That's just what I've heard.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Iirc that's due to prohibitions on hunting with semi autos that I think got repealed recently.

PA is a beautiful state. We were within an inch of moving there this year.

Your son could make a killing introducing those Yankees to proper breakfast food like tacos and kolaches.
Allen76
AG
drmwvr said:

My retired brother has worked for gsells as a guide. I think he gave that up now, maybe.
The Catfish
AG
I live in PA currently. I don't do much deer hunting, but there is ton of walk in public land. Deer plentiful in the state, but need to learn the restrictions. I can help a bit more w/ waterfowl but it isn't great here.

If your son likes to fish, he will have access to one of the nation's best smallmouth fisheries on the lower Susquehanna. It's a beautiful River and the smallies are thick..a kayak is an awesome way to do it. I've spent more time there then trying to figure out hunting.
AnScAggie
AG
Thanks for the info. Hopefully he'll get a chance to fish some too.
ursusguy
AG
My cousin lived in Pittsburg for several years, and really liked the outdoor opportunities. He loved the change in deer hunting while he was up there. He fishes more than he hunts, and as mentioned above, the bass fishing can be awesome.

I would LOVE to go bear hunting in PA. The area around Cokeville have some of the biggest black bears in the world.
drmwvr
AG
Allen76 said:

drmwvr said:

My retired brother has worked for gsells as a guide. I think he gave that up now, maybe.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome...I shot what they would consider a "cull" deer and it dwarfs anything I've harvested in Texas.
HalifaxAg
AG
Nah, they are hooked on WaWa. You'll never pull a Pennsylvanian away from WaWa.
The Catfish
AG
HalifaxAg said:

Unless you're on the west side then it's Sheetz BS. Neither are Buccees, that's for sure.
AnScAggie
AG
The Catfish said:

HalifaxAg said:

Unless your on the west side then it's Sheetzes BS. Neither are Buccees, that's for sure.

It's funny you say that. We've been here for a week and I actually heard two students debating which was better WaWa or Sheetz, and I thought they were talking about drugs or some rapper until they discussed the quality of the food choices.
ratfacemcdougal
TONS of flyfishing opportunities. I spend 2 weeks with my brother and we fish different water everyday.
AggieChemist
AG
Lots of good fly fishing water around state college.

Deer season is a **** show.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.