Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alligator gar

2,447 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TX scallywAG
MROD92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone ever had experience eating these? If so what's it like?
tbone421998
AG
Paging Ursus, I'm not sure there is anything he hasn't tried. From what I've read, they usually make gar balls and fry them.
Agfencer98
AG
I have had it in the form of Gar balls. Meat scooped up and shaped into balls. Tough prep work, and I wasnt all that crazy about it.

Being from Louisiana, I've tried pretty much all fish, at least once.
Shoefly!
AG
Yes, use a small hatchet to cut down the back from head to tail. When back is opened up use a filet knife to cut out filets from head to tail. Excellent eats.
MouthBQ98
AG
I've had I before and it's pretty good. Gar are piscivorous and actually don't tend to pick up weird flavor from the water they live in.
Chetos
AG
Heard while watching some monster fish show that they can be poisonous if processed wrong. I think they said it was something in their eggs. Caught them my whole life and have met several who where willing to include them in their diet. But I've never heard this before. Anyone else hear thus?
oscar9
AG
Gar isn't bad when it is freshly caught and fried soon after.
Lonestar-aught-six
My son recently brought one home from the river. We cut him down the back with tin snips and pulled the back strap. I had never eaten one and was worried but it was pretty good. I have to agree with the fresh part.
A.G.S.
AG
I like to cube up the filet, and put it in a bowl of cold water in the fridge with a splash of vinegar in there.

Let it sit for 30 min to an hour, then fry it.

Vinegar seems to take some of the toughness out.

Definitely bring some tools if ya wanna clean it though. don't even bother trying to use a filet knife until the skin is opened up.

And I have always heard that the roe (eggs) are poisonous as well. Never been inclined to try gar caviar (cavigar?) though.
Ark03
AG
Alligator gar aren't bad at all, but the smaller ones taste better. We used to shoot a bunch in bowfishing tournaments. As others said, just take the filets and fry them up.
Potcake
AG
They are likely going to have high mercury concentrations in the tissue though.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yes, the larger ones in certain waters.
ursusguy
AG
I do like gar, but like someone else to cook it.
MROD92
Thanks for the responses, do they produce a decent amount of meat?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Nah, probably picked it up from some Cajun on Swamp people.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yes... have y'all never been to mambos in Houston and ordered Gar? It's alright.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
ursusguy said:

I do like gar, but like someone else to cook it.

Have you seen the recent survey by TPWD about gar fishing/harvest?

I got an email and took it the other day... seems like they're taking a much more conservative approach (probably needed in some areas) to population management.
Martin Cash
AG
If you like mudcat, you'll like gar.
Doc Hayworth
Gar is good white meat. Some say it tastes like alligator tail.
TailG8TR
AG
Tin snips through the scales/skin. Filet out. Cubes and fry. Very good white flesh and good tasting. Recommend.
ursusguy
AG
I've seen it. I'm just long enough removed that I don't follow things as closely as I used to (I used to pay attention to anything and everything I heard.....had its advantages and disadvantages).

Granted, I have been learning more fisheries management on the fly.
Badace52
AG
Some of the whitest, flakiest freshwater fish I've ever had. Highly recommended eating it and getting someone else to clean it for you if at all possible.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
4stringAg
AG
Anyone tried spotted gar or other varieties? Don't have many alligator gar nearby my house in TN but nearby overflow lake is full of decent size spotted gar.
MROD92
Alright Ags, I'm going for it. We used to always beat these off with a paddle but I'll give it a go. Thanks
TX scallywAG
AG
Cut up & use for trot line bait. Enjoy the blue cats after.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.