Outdoors
Sponsored by

Jug Fishing

2,283 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ought1ag
79TAMU79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buddy has a new boat and wants to go jug fishing. I have not been in a long time. I last time used bleach bottles with nylon cord, three hooks and a brick. Bait was cut bait or perch. Best time of year is October in local lakes?

Anyone have other ideas? Any other bait ideas? LED lights for jugs for night fishing? What are the requirements for ID tags?
A.G.S.
AG
Pool noodles cut to about 12-18" with PVC pipe (6-8" longer than noodle section) down the middle (flush on one end, sticking out on the other. Either glue pvc into noodle and tie cord off on pvc "stem", or loop nylon cord through pvc and around pool noodle section to prevent separation.

If ya wanna get fancy, cap the pvc, put a 4" piece of rebar inside it. Make sure the rebar is at the top of the noodle when ya deploy it (so the noodle lays flat). when a fish hits it, the rebar will fall to the bottom, and make the noodle stand up. Makes it easy to see which ones have fish on there.

For nighttime, get that super reflective tape and make a 2" band at the "top" of the noodle. those gerenally reflect light when ya hit em with a flashlight.

Cut or whole perch has always worked for us.
Cadet05
AG
We use pool noodles with pvc dozens of times a year. We built the ones with the rebar, but have determined they give many false positive's. Probably won't build them that way again. We've also caught fish where the noodle was sitting perfectly flat. Just an extra cost to build the noodles that doesn't provide much benefit in my opinion.
FSGuide
From the TPWD webpage section on JugLines:

Tagging and Marking Requirements
  • Must be used with a valid GEAR TAG (see Definitions) attached within 6 inches of the free-floating device; gear tag is valid for 10 days after the date set out and must include the number of the permit to sell nongame fish taken from fresh water, if applicable. Properly marked buoys or floats qualify as valid gear tags.
  • For non-commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with a free-floating device of any color other than orange.
  • For commercial purposes, a jugline must be marked with an orange, free-floating device.

Gear Tag: A tag constructed of material as durable as the device to which it is attached. The gear tag must be legible, contain the name and address of the person using the device and the date the device was set out. Date is not required for saltwater trotlines or crab traps fished under a commercial license. For juglines and freshwater trotlines, properly marked buoys or floats qualify as valid gear tags.
Lonestar-aught-six
I run three types of jugs.
Type 1- pvc with pool noodle 3-8' fast floaters
Covers an area and finds fish
Type 2- pvc with pool noodle 15' light weighted 5 oz. 3 hook
Drop in 16' area and let cover area slower
Type 3- bleach jug 20-25' heavy weight 2 lbs dumbbell 4 hook
Dropped in deeper holes stationary
Preferred bait is shad during the day and live perch at night.
ought1ag
AG
A.G.S. said:

Pool noodles cut to about 12-18" with PVC pipe (6-8" longer than noodle section) down the middle (flush on one end, sticking out on the other. Either glue pvc into noodle and tie cord off on pvc "stem", or loop nylon cord through pvc and around pool noodle section to prevent separation.

If ya wanna get fancy, cap the pvc, put a 4" piece of rebar inside it. Make sure the rebar is at the top of the noodle when ya deploy it (so the noodle lays flat). when a fish hits it, the rebar will fall to the bottom, and make the noodle stand up. Makes it easy to see which ones have fish on there.

For nighttime, get that super reflective tape and make a 2" band at the "top" of the noodle. those gerenally reflect light when ya hit em with a flashlight.

Cut or whole perch has always worked for us.
This is my set up. I keep a roll of white duct tape that i put around it so I can tag them.

Name
Address
Date
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.