Outdoors
Sponsored by

Recs for nice muzzleloader

1,406 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jason Ag
ClassicDane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy OB, looking to purchase a nice or perhaps custom muzzleloader for the upcoming season. I don't want to just walk into Cabela's or Bass Pro and be misguided, would appreciate any recommendations or help.

Thanks and Gig 'Em
Caveman Ag
AG
I've shot a Thompson Center for years and I love it. I can't compare to any others because it's all I've ever owned. Just my two cents.

Always been good enough for Jim Shockey too.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The ones I've sold the most of recently are the Remington 700 ultimates. If already using a 700, very easy transition over to a ML.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
tx4guns
AG
TC Pro Hunter. Love mine. Super accurate.
Log
AG
CVA Accura.
CactusThomas
AG
Ruger 77/50 officers model if you are OK with an in-line.
ClassicDane
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

The ones I've sold the most of recently are the Remington 700 ultimates. If already using a 700, very easy transition over to a ML.
Great to hear Eye, that is the one I've been looking at and most interested in. Thank you!
ClassicDane
AG
Thanks for all the feedback fellas, still have a little research to do, but thank you!
Furlock Bones
AG
get a real black powder and have more fun. modern scoped MLs ain't any different than shooting a regular gun. don't see the point.

now this. this is fun.

CEPhD
AG
Love my Knight.
txaggie02
AG
I just bought a Remington 700 Ultimate from Eyeguy. Great firearm and he has a solid price.

Furlock Bones said:

get a real black powder and have more fun. modern scoped MLs ain't any different than shooting a regular gun. don't see the point.

The point is to draw tags for western hunting quicker than hunting with a rifle. I can cut years off the wait, yet still have some solid reach out to 300+ yards. That's the point for me at least. Don't care about trying to play Davy Crockett.
cupofjoe04
AG
Another vote for the Remington 700 UML

I've used several different in the field, and own a CVA Electra. The Rem 700 is hands down the best bang for the buck. Can be tricked out any number of ways. I shot a bull last year at near 400 yards. Am switching over to iron sights and loose powder this year for some action in CO. It is a very versatile platform. Very heavy though- not my favorite for lugging around the mountains. but if you can get it there, it will deliver.
SWCBonfire
AG
300 yards? Why?

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!
cupofjoe04
AG
SWCBonfire said:

300 yards? Why?

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Ha ha! Maybe I need to invest in a horse!!! Or just learn to hike on all 4's!

I can tell you, I practiced out to 600 with this gun in a variety of conditions, and felt absolutely confident out to 450 that was my personal wall). Never indented to shoot that far in real world. Drew a NM primitive unit tag (primitive is a loose word when they let you out a scope on a ML). The shot we were presented with was 350-400 yards. No way to close the gap on these particular bulls. I would not have harvested a quality bull that trip if I was limited to 100-150 yards.

This year in CO- I fully expect to have a 100 or so yard max. Different set up, different terrain. Can't wait for the fire bans to be lifted so I can get out there and work up a loose powered load and see what I'm capable of with irons. I am BY FAR the limiting factor in this gun.
SWCBonfire
AG
All kidding aside, that is a very cool setup. Deer hunting isn't nearly as challenging here, and I'm usually working during rifle season. Often thought about tracking down a replica Prussian rifle to see what it was like back in the old days when my people came over. They can get pricey quickly.
cupofjoe04
AG
SWCBonfire said:

All kidding aside, that is a very cool setup. Deer hunting isn't nearly as challenging here, and I'm usually working during rifle season. Often thought about tracking down a replica Prussian rifle to see what it was like back in the old days when my people came over. They can get pricey quickly.

Ohh, that would be FUN! I've always fantasized about finding an old Sharps and taking it out to see what it can do. My dreams often outpace my wallet...
Jason Ag
AG
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8564/category_id/316/product_name/PR0582+Tradition%27s+Hawken+Woodsman+Rifle+-+.50+Cal.+Percussion

Bought one of these 10 yrs ago (was much cheaper then) been very happy with it. Biggest recommendation is to get a single piece cleaning rod like this or similar.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/4888/category_id/334/product_name/RP0619+.50+Caliber+Heavy+Duty+Super+Rod

Edit: I haven't checked the laws for black powder lately, but I just ordered it online and had it shipped to my house. I bought some Pyrex smoke-less for most cases, but some actual real black powder for fun. Get a pretty good flame, especially at night. Definitely wear safety glasses because of the cap.

I used traditional black powder when my cousin shot it the first time, an amber floated back over him and went down his shirt! Didn't burn him bad, made him dance though!
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Bought pretty much the same gun but without the patchbox in the stock. That was a little over 20 years ago and was the first gun I ever bought. It was about $150 at that point. Sweet shooter, though. Need to shoot it again one of these days.
Jason Ag
AG
I had a lot of fun with it. I paid $285, and ordered it from the student computing center on campus. Haha. I bought my powder from Burdett and Sons on Texas Ave.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.