Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mesquite Cut Stump Method

14,825 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dr_boogs
Allen76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am taking the large mesquites out of an old fenceline. My "test" line is 250 yards long and has eleven multi-trunked mesquites, which is fairly sparse compared to some other fences I have with solid mesquites in them.

Stumps in front have been coated with 3/4 diesel and 1/4 Remedy.

[url=https://imgur.com/iX9UM3q][/url]

same shot with dog... I cut some of the wood just to make room around the stump for spraying
[url=https://imgur.com/xcL4dio][/url]

another one, stump in background, old T-post that was never removed... probably caught in a root
[url=https://imgur.com/7Xtx7jR][/url]

and a huge live oak that blew over this past winter... it is the neighbors near my fenceline
[url=https://imgur.com/GxXIw3N][/url]
ZoneClubber
AG
Mesquite is hard enough to cut. That live oak will be a full days work.
Allen76
AG
Zone416 said:

Mesquite is hard enough to cut. That live oak will be a full days work.
yep, I thought about offering to help them cut it up, but I already have a few of my own lying around that are like cutting the petrified forest.
SWCBonfire
AG
Those are probably going to have a few resprouts underground. But keep after them with the remedy and they will die eventually.
Allen76
AG
SWCBonfire said:

Those are probably going to have a few resprouts underground. But keep after them with the remedy and they will die eventually.

Okay this will be the first time to do this method in a large quantity. I have killed trees by spraying the sprouts with a foliar application but it usually takes 2 or 3 applications, one per year, before the tree gives it up.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Cut a few last season not quite the diameter of yours and they have not resprouted. Also treated w/ 25% Remedy
dr_boogs
AG
You and I have visited offline about our different mesquite methods. I had an interesting visit w our local Ag extension agent that said there was a study done that showed timing from cutting of the stump to application of diesel and remedy was critical. If you cut the stump and applied within 2 minutes of the cut, kill rate was 96%. If you waited longer than 2 minutes, kill rate drops into the 80s and tapers from there based on time of application. We are moving to this 2 minute method but too soon to report results. Good work on your end!
HTownAg98
Agree with this. Getting the diesel/remedy on the cut as soon as possible is critical. I've done more than my fair share like that and had very little, if any, regrowth.
ElGoatarod
AG
I completely agree with the 2 minute time limit on getting those stumps sprayed. I cleared several acres of mesquite with chainsaws several years ago. I would cut a few trees down then go back and spray all. Probably 5 minutes before I'd get chemical on the cut stumps. Every tree resprouted. It was pretty defeating. Now I always make sure I have someone else around to spray the stumps as soon as I cut a tree down.

Recently I've begun a new experiment where I shred old CRP pastures that have been overtaken by mesquite. I shred in the spring after they leaf out, then again a few months later. My thinking is I'm forcing the plant to use up its root nutrient reserves by having to regrow above ground material a couple times. Then I come back with a foliar application of Sendero the following spring once soil temperatures have reached 75F. Its too soon to see if any of the sprayed regrowth will come back, but have been very impressed with Sendero so far.

dr_boogs
AG
It's liquid gold but Sendero's the real deal.
mpl35
AG
dr_boogs said:

This. I spray foliage with sendero or paint every stump of mesquite in remedy
Allen76
AG
mpl35 said:

dr_boogs said:

This. I paint every stump of mesquite in sendero

Do you have a record of success doing this ? Please describe if you are getting re-sprouting and what your mix ratio is that you are applying to the stump.

The reason I ask is because Dow recommends only foliar application of Sendero but strange things happen and this could work, especially if you are applying pure Sendero but that would be very expensive.
mpl35
AG
Allen76 said:

mpl35 said:

dr_boogs said:

This. I paint every stump of mesquite in sendero

Do you have a record of success doing this ? Please describe if you are getting re-sprouting and what your mix ratio is that you are applying to the stump.

The reason I ask is because Dow recommends only foliar application of Sendero but strange things happen and this could work, especially if you are applying pure Sendero but that would be very expensive.
Sorry. I was running out the door and totally screwed up the post. I haven't painted sendero. I spray small bushes in sendero with great success. Larger trees I cut and paint with remedy. Most of this is right of ways and fence lines.

A decade or so ago we clear cut 20 acres and painted all with 1/4 remedy 3/4 diesel. Not good success. Much better with pure diesel around the base back then.
Allen76
AG
Cool, I remember spraying fenceline mesquites with pure diesel over 50 years ago. This was not cut. It was the bottom 16 inches or so around the trunk. I was a teenager and my dad was disgusted with me because he saw almost no results. So he took the sprayer and did a section and got a few more to die than I did. That fence is almost solid mesquite now.

Love Texags OB.... I will definitely be applying the remedy mix to the stump immediately after the cut. It can't hurt!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Maybe drill a few holes in the stumps before applying?
agfan2013
AG
You've got some good bbq-ing wood now OP, after it dries down of course.

I'll remember that two minute rule, I asked my dad about it and he said he had always heard it just needed to be in the first 15 minutes. I'll also try that on some honeylocust stumps, we probably have almost as many of those as we do mesquites in the pasture so I've gotten pretty familiar with cutting those down too unfortunately. I used the same diesel & remedy mix after cutting and noticed there are a handful I cut down and sprayed last year that have already tried to re-sprout.
CrossTimbersW
AG
In July-August of 2015 we did some IPT areas that totaled about 100 acres that we cleared with hydraulic shears in Coryell County. I measured the plots ranging from 100 stems per acre to 300 stems per acre with mostly cedar elm and mesquite all 5 inches or less DBH. We used a 10% Cide Kick, 25% Remedy Ultra, and 65% diesel, plus blue marking dye. We had 2 to 3 skid loaders (CAT 262D) running hydraulic shears (Tree Terminator TT4000) with an accompanying ground guy with loppers and chemical for each machine. Stumps were sprayed immediately up to as much as 2-4 hours after cutting with the mixture. I never actually got to go back and run transects on those areas but at 1 year and 2 years later I estimated we easily had 95% kill on those plots. I was surprised because I thought we waited too long to spray some of the stumps but there were so many stems in some the areas it was really difficult for our ground guys to keep track and keep up.

There are a few reasons why I think we might have had such good results as compared to some of the ones you guys are referencing:

• The rough cut from the hydraulic shears provides more surface area and therefore is more conducive to soaking up the chemical as compared to a smoother cut from a chainsaw.
  • I think the soil moisture and moisture availability are also huge factors. These areas were mostly in bottom lands that had deep deep soil with adequate moisture even in the hottest of times. I think that promotes the plant to continue soaking up the chemical for a longer period of time after the initial cutting of the stump.
  • I am also a believer in the addition of Cide Kick and blue dye to the mixture. Cide Kick seemed to really make a difference compared to some spraying I've since done in my pastures. In my opinion the dye really helps make sure that you've sprayed the entire stump all the way around and in the middle with sufficient amounts of chemical.

I don't know any of the things listed above to be 100% true but my opinion is that these factors greatly influence the kill rate of Remedy mixtures in the cut stump spray method.

I have never used Sendero for foliar applications but I did just buy a jug of that liquid gold to try out on my hay fields and some of the pastures I've got. I plan on mixing it up in a 25 gallon tank with blue dye to spray from my ranger. I have heard good things about it but I guess I will know soon enough.

Only question I have is how much grass kill around the tree should I expect while spraying chest high plants in a coastal field? It isn't going to be a big deal because it is very unlikely that I'll get enough rain to cut hay again this year but I am curious if it is as selective on mesquites as they say it is.
Allen76
AG
Quote:

Only question I have is how much grass kill around the tree should I expect while spraying chest high plants in a coastal field? It isn't going to be a big deal because it is very unlikely that I'll get enough rain to cut hay again this year but I am curious if it is as selective on mesquites as they say it is.

It will kill every leaf it touches but will not kill the plant. So you will see "dead" grass underneath, wherever the spray touched, but the grass, and all other shrubs and trees except for mesquites and a small handfull of mesquite-like plants, will all survive.

Obviously conditions dictate some of this, so if you have some stressed area, anything could be the final blow to killing a plant, but in general Sendero will not kill anything except mesquite and a small number of other shrubs or trees that have similar leaves to mesquite.
CrossTimbersW
GottaRide
S
If I remember correctly, at this point of the year II need to wait until the mesquite beans start to brown before spraying Sendero, right? Also, any recommendation on surfactant? I have been told that the type matters.
Allen76
AG
MSO is recommended as the surfactant on the Sendero label. I think it is supposed to stand for Metylated Seed Oil but can also stand for Modified Soybean Oil which can be the same thing.

I have to get mine online because my local suppliers don't carry it. Sendero has been out about six years now, I think, so you would think suppliers would carry the recommended surfactant for a popular herbicide that cost 149.00 a gallon
GottaRide
S
Thanks. What about timing? Wait until beans are turning?

I really appreciate your threads on this stuff. I've learned a lot.
B-1 83
AG
Cut stump method is as near 100% as there is. Just be sure to apply almost immediately.
Allen76
AG
The "bean elongation period" changes the plant nutrient uptake causing reduced herbicide efficiency.

Edit to add: spray as soon as you see the beans are fully grown to size not color
GottaRide
S
Thanks
Allen76
AG
I pay attention to the "bean elongation period" only if time allows it. This year almost zero weather delays or other family matters so I have plenty time. I just do something else during that period. But if I feel like I am pressed for time I go ahead and spray during that time too. You get some sprouting that you just spray those sprouts later or the next year.

Also the indicators were really screwed up this year. There were a few mesquites that already had tiny beans way back in May. And the entire landscape seemed mixed up as to when mesquites were going to bloom. I am pretty sure that was from several late winter or early spring days of low temps right at freezing. On my place most of the mesquite beans have just reached full size in the last week or so.
HTownAg98
If you are doing this in a pasture, leave the brush where it's cut. It provides some wildlife cover, and it also helps you find the ones you cut the previous year. If there is any new growth, you can find it and treat it.
Allen76
AG
dr_boogs said:

Say dr boogs..... if you have the chance, stop in the office of Dr. Gerald Parker and tell him I said hello. His office should be in your building I was told.

Gerry and I were in the same TAMU class and same Corps Outfit..... Squadron 12.

Just tell him that and my user name and he will know who you are talking about.
BO297
What about huisache? Does sendero not work on huisache?

I've been using remedy and diesel with some success. But thought about trying sendero recently.

Thanks for all the information guys. Im new to this. We've had a beautiful pasture for years, but the huisache is really starting to grow along with some smaller mesquite.
HTownAg98
According to their publications, it may yellow huisache, but it won't kill it.
Huisache is touch to kill because it is multi-stemmed, which isn't great for basal treatment, and it has a small lead canpiy, which isn't great for foliage treatment. Best advice is to pick a treatment method and stick with it.
dr_boogs
AG
Will do. Gerald isn't in our department but I run into him a couple times a year
Allen76
AG
HTownAg98 said:

According to their publications, it may yellow huisache, but it won't kill it.
Huisache is touch to kill because it is multi-stemmed, which isn't great for basal treatment, and it has a small lead canpiy, which isn't great for foliage treatment. Best advice is to pick a treatment method and stick with it.
This...

go to this link: http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDAS/dh_095d/0901b8038095dd11.pdf?filepath=/pdfs/noreg/010-58550.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Go to Range and Pasture Steward, Vol. 13, No. 3 , Summer 2016

Go to page that starts with "Slay the Mesquite" and look at the two charts.

The ones flagged with a red block will die from Sendero (mesquite, honeylocust, catclaw, Guajillo, huisachillo).

The ones flagged with a yellow block will be affected by Sendero. Meaning you could kill these with Sendero if you are persistent (hackberry, blackbrush, huisache, granjeno, kidneywood, lime *****lyash, tasajillo). But they were tested to kill less than 50% of the numbers of these species.

And then the ones flagged in green have 0% mortality.

This is one of the things that is a big advantage of Sendero for me. I can kill a mesquite that is growing in the branches of a live oak. The mesquite dies but the live oak leaves that were sprayed just turn brown and die, and so far I have not killed a live oak with Sendero.
Allen76
AG
So I finished the first fence as my "trial" and it wasn't too bad except for the heat and the chiggers and the fact that I WAS out of shape.

Now I am starting on a fence that is 645 yards long and I have two of those to do. I am giving myself 3 years to complete those. So far I have made it about 200 yards down the first one.

What is left is mostly Granjeno (spiny hackberry) and Texas Persimmon

[url=https://imgur.com/MRjRKan][/url]

I have been looking at this sprawling mesquite for a few years now, and finally cut it down. It is one of those that has a lot of perfect size firewood. It has about seven trunks or so. (had)
[url=https://imgur.com/Bke5qhC][/url]

After doing this chainsaw work almost every evening. I am finally getting into a little better shape to work in the heat. I am drinking a bunch of water but still get cramps sometimes.
dr_boogs
AG
Great work! A good mesquite is a dead mesquite!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.