Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pitt Boss pellet grill

3,962 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BrazosDog02
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will also say - the brand of pellet you use and the timing of when you switch from smoke to temp will make a big difference in the end result. I have had good success with GMG pellets, putting a cold brisket on a cold grill, so it gets lots of smoke during the "warm up". Then it settles into a nice thin smoke after I ease it up to temp.

If it is just on 225 with Treager pellets, set it and forget it- you won't get a good smoke or bark. At least in my experience- your mileage may vary.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Strongweasel97 said:

They're great.

Also take a look at the Green Mountain grills; the ones with wifi. I've got one of those and it's pretty damn awesome.

Do you find the Wi-Fi is actually useful? If all you were going to do is smoke at one temp, would you even use it?

cr
Just did the initial burn off at 500 degrees...

Fire was roaring and unit came up to temp surprisingly fast.

The sliding deflector plate is gonna be great for grilling!
cupofjoe04
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Strongweasel97 said:

They're great.

Also take a look at the Green Mountain grills; the ones with wifi. I've got one of those and it's pretty damn awesome.

Do you find the Wi-Fi is actually useful? If all you were going to do is smoke at one temp, would you even use it?

I've cooked on a GMG w/ WiFi controller before. I LOVED the GMG. Would have bought one if I didn't find such a great sale on a Pit Boss locally. The WiFi was cool- but not necessary. Like anything else technological- you will get used to it and wonder how you ever did without it, wether you truly needed it or not. Basically just makes monitoring and adjusting easier, don't have to walk outside. Unless I'm missing something- again, don't own it, just used one once.
rather be fishing
AG
JSKolache said:

rather be fishing said:

JSKolache said:

Question answered - allow me to derail...

Anyone using a vertical pellet smoker?

I have a hardline gas grill installed on back porch & no desire to roll out another grill for smoking, but I see that Pit Boss has a vertical PELLET smoker, and I'm thinking I make that work in my space.

Who's tried a pellet vertical?

If you're going to circumvent the actual process of smoking a brisket and being proud of it, HEB sells pre-smoked briskets.
They any good?

Couldn't tell you
Player To Be Named Later
AG
If you were deciding between larger grill area without Wi-Fi or smaller with Wi-Fi, which way would you lean?
cupofjoe04
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

If you were deciding between larger grill area without Wi-Fi or smaller with Wi-Fi, which way would you lean?

Personally- larger surface area. But, that's just me. I do large arounts of food sometimes (not always, though), so the sq.in would be priority for me.

If you just cook for a single family always, and have the $- the WiFi is pretty cool.

I think you can get WiFi aftermarket probes. Still have to walk out there and change the temp. The digital controller is a really nice feature (which most have now).

I will say, I was impressed with the GMG fit & finish. Good build quality.
harrierdoc
AG
so, is it hard to find charcoal for the BGE? Is it expensive? On amazon, it is $60 for 20 lbs. Seems pretty expensive.

I'm building an outdoor kitchen area in our new home and trying to figure out what I want out there - traditional smoker, pellet, or BGE.
cr
harrierdoc said:

so, is it hard to find charcoal for the BGE? Is it expensive? On amazon, it is $60 for 20 lbs. Seems pretty expensive.

I'm building an outdoor kitchen area in our new home and trying to figure out what I want out there - traditional smoker, pellet, or BGE.

Based on my my limited experience to date....

Set it and forget it is pretty darn nice with this pellet machine. Dump a 20 lb bag of pellets in, $8 at Walmart, press the power button, set the temp knob....

crack open a few beers and wait for your food.
BrazosDog02
AG
I think you nailed it. Experts and competitions....it's not about what you like.

I've been to a LOT of bbq places....award winning....and they are all just OK. It's dry, tough, and I'm not a fan of many.

I'll eat the **** out of my briskets on my primo. I know what I like, and not a single person has said a bad word about it when shoving it in their face. My folks cooked the **** out of some meat on an Old Smokey for many years.

I seriously believe it's all about knowing you equipment. I have made less than ideal food on my primo and I know what I did and how to fix it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.