Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pitt Boss pellet grill

3,961 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BrazosDog02
cr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thoughts?
V8Aggie
AG
I'm still at work but would very much like to go home. I wonder if dinner will be ready or if I have to cook, hmmmm.... I wish I wasn't on a diet because I could sure go for some bourbon right now. MMMMmmmmmm sweet nectar!
AZAG08
AG
curious as well
KRamp90
AG
I've had one for awhile. Love it!
Strongweasel97
AG
They're great.

Also take a look at the Green Mountain grills; the ones with wifi. I've got one of those and it's pretty damn awesome.
agingcowboy
AG
In before someone posts that annoying picture (of the guy wearing girl cut jeans) meant to belittle those who use pellet grills.

I'm a big fan of pellet grills. Mine works great, easy to use and turns out delicious meats.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexAgBolter
AG
Love my pit boss. Use it multiple times a week.
Cancelled
AG
They're great until they turn on you
Long Live Sully
AG
I tried a brisket done on a Rec Tec pellet smoker.

BLEECCHHHH
AgEng06
AG
Someone told me every time you smoke on a pellet grill your dick shrinks 1/4". I figured I didn't have enough going to pay off the cost of the grill...
tony
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

I tried a brisket done on a Rec Tec pellet smoker.

BLEECCHHHH

Blame the cook not the pellet grill. I've cooked a few and eaten many great briskets on them.

The anti pellet grill people crack me up. They're "it's more manly not to smoke anything than use a pellet grill" attitude is hilarious.

Last year I smoked about 4 things all year in my offset. My life is to busy to devote many full days to smoking. This year I can every weekend just about
Long Live Sully
AG
The next good brisket I eat off one will be the first.

If you are too busy to tend a pit for a day then you are too busy.

Now, I am going to eat the little bit of brisket I have left over from Sunday. Prime beef on oak for 19 hours on my 30 year old Lyfe Tyme Smoker. And it is amazing.
cupofjoe04
AG
I have one and love it. Have used Treagers and GM's, and don't notice anything lacking in the PB. And it is more sq.in for the $. I absolutely love the ability to do direct flame or indirect. Makes a MEAN smoked ribeye, and you can finish it with a nice seat by pulling back the deflector.
cr
Thanks for all the comments. Everyone has been talking these grills up, so I figured I'd try one that doesn't break the bank.

If it doesn't work out, I'll blame Cow Hop.
Long Live Sully
AG
Ha... Not me. I don't like them for brisket or ribs. I have had chicken off one that was outstanding.
tony
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

If you are too busy to tend a pit for a day then you are too busy.

If you always have time to tend a pit all day you are either retired or lead a damn boring life. Last weekend I spent all day Saturday at the race track practicing and still got to come home to some awesome beef ribs.

Sunday spent all day shooting and still had a nice pork butt when I got home.
Long Live Sully
AG
I am lucky in many respects and can make my own schedule and even I don't have time to tend a pit very often. But, if you never have time then you are too busy.
rather be fishing
AG
I don't give a damn how good the brisket you've had that was cooked in a pellet grill was. I refuse to every smoke a brisket with compressed rabbit chow.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
"Grill"
JSKolache
AG
Question answered - allow me to derail...

Anyone using a vertical pellet smoker?

I have a hardline gas grill installed on back porch & no desire to roll out another grill for smoking, but I see that Pit Boss has a vertical PELLET smoker, and I'm thinking I make that work in my space.

Who's tried a pellet vertical?
cr
Player To Be Named Later said:

"Grill"

it smokes and grills
Player To Be Named Later
AG
garc said:

Player To Be Named Later said:

"Grill"

it smokes and grills

"Smokes"
Cholula Verde
AG
Try pork belly!
rather be fishing
AG
JSKolache said:

I have a hardline gas grill installed on back porch & no desire to roll out another grill for smoking, but I see that Pit Boss has a vertical PELLET smoker, and I'm thinking I make that work in my space.

If you're going to circumvent the actual process of smoking a brisket and being proud of it, HEB sells pre-smoked briskets.
BlueSmoke
Outdoor ovens with a hopper. Something anathema about "plugging in" and "dialing up your temp" on your smoker.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Cholula Verde
AG
Treager.....best darn bacon cooker there is! Hubs cooks a couple of pounds at a time. No more frying it and messing up my kitchen. Makes cooking breakfast a snap! Steaks, chicken, pork chops, stuffed jalapos, Veges, and fish are the bomb! Ribs and porkbutt....not so much. He has not tried a brisket yet. Happy cooking!
Ag83
AG
Watch out for the explosions.

Cholula Verde
AG
Yikes.....guessing this isn't one of the many UTube Videos hubs is constantly watching to "master his technique"!
cr
cooker arrived yesterday...

assembly took an hour...

first cook this weekend...

Think I'll cook a brisket in honor of Cow Hop!
Long Live Sully
AG
garc said:

assembly took an hour...

Let me know how it turns out.

Seriously, if there is a trick to getting good smoke and bark with one of those I would like to know it.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
My brother smokes his on a Traeger and it's the best backyard brisket I've ever had. Very, very good.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
garc said:

assembly took an hour...

At least you acknowledge you are cooking it and not smoking it.
BrazosDog02
AG
Are we still in pissing contest mode or have we gone purely to semantics? I'm a little lost on what the butt hurt is on these things. I don't own one. I'm a Primo XL Smoker myself, but what is the hangup on the wood pellet smokers?
cupofjoe04
AG
Just depends on who you ask- but basically yes, IMHO a pissing contest.

I've owned and cooked on an offset, vertical electric, gas, charcoal and a now pellet. They each have their place, and utilization/specialty. Don't let anyone look down on your choice. I cook protein for my family and friends, and I know what we like. I currently smoke briskets (and yes, I mean smoke) on a pellet grill, and do so proudly. I get a great smoke ring, and bark just the way I personally like it, which is a touch lighter than many BBQ "experts". It doesn't change my cook times much, and isn't a microwave solution. Only thing it really cuts is time building and tending a proper fire. I really enjoy the art of getting that fire just right, and it is a learning curve all on its own. But I have also enjoyed experimenting with and mixing types of pellets to create a unique smoke- it's a different (and easier) challenge. I use a 3 layered rub, finished with a coarse layer containing some crushed coffee beans and sea salt- non-traditional, but gives me a bark and flavor I love on a pellet smoker.

I've done plenty on an offset, and an electric smoker too. There is a slim difference b/t the offset and pellet- but it isn't night & day, or good & bad in my opinion. I will say it took me longer to get the pellet brisket technique dialed in (though everything else I cook is easier). Electric is my least favorite, as it is much harder for me personally to get a good crust- but it can be done I believe. And I wouldn't turn my nose up at a slab of protein off of one either- I would gobble that sucker down if it tasted good.

Only thing I haven't tried are the ceramic cookers. Don't know anything about those.

If you are in completion, that's a different thing, and you better know what they expect. But that doesn't make their opionions right or best for the backyard smoker.

All that to say- grab your favorite smoke-maker and produce protein that you enjoy! Expiriment and try different techniques and smokers if you have a chance. There is a lot to learn in this art. And it is one tasty lesson after another!!!
JSKolache
AG
rather be fishing said:

JSKolache said:

If you're going to circumvent the actual process of smoking a brisket and being proud of it, HEB sells pre-smoked briskets.
They any good?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.